RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Faded background

Old 10-08-2007, 10:08 AM
Patron

Re: Faded background

Everyone did a great job. Susie, it's just my personal taste, but I prefer yours the most.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2007, 10:25 AM

Wonderful job there susie
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2007, 10:29 AM
Patron

Susie, I too like yours best (the second one). How does one know when to stop? Bedtime

<C>
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2007, 10:42 AM

Thanks MrMonday, Cassidy and Carole, I really learned a lot through everyone's help!

Carole, you're so funny,(the bedtime comment) but it's so TRUE!!

Now... off to the next section of Katrin's book...
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2007, 11:51 PM

hi susie,

taking your first picture you did, all i did was adjust the contrast/brightness. i lowered the brightness to -25 and raised the contrast to +25. this added a little more definition.

i then copy merged all layers and saved to a new layer. on that new layer i used psp's 'clarify' at full strength. this is somewhat similar to the shadows/midtones/highlights filter but does it more automatically.

now, i didnt correct the sky. it shld be. you could go two ways on that, either paint in some clouds or simply white it all.

so, your original work was fine; it just wasnt quite finished yet.

i also notice on the second image you posted that it tends towards the bright. you might want to check your gamma and brightness/contrast settings on your monitor. you could be seeing it one way while everyone else is seeing it another.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chgwrldfairBW2-1-k-1a.jpg (194.5 KB, 18 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2007, 08:35 AM

Oh Craig, you said the scariest thing '..monitor calibration' brings back nightmares of the last time I calibrated my monitor to my printer, ooooo, what a nightmare, especially since all that I'm using is Adobe Gamma and my eyeballs.

But, looking at my 1st try and my 2nd, I do see a big difference in the brightness/contrast within the 2nd one, I thought that it was mainly because the sky was pretty much whited out. Originally, I had thought that my 1st try was way washed out, but comparing the two, I agree, my 2nd pic appears brighter, but I'm still wondering if it's because I've got no sky. I won't be able to get to it until this afternoon, or tomorrow, but, I'm going to add some tone and clouds to the sky background and see if that doesn't help. I'm hoping that it does because calibrating my monitor is scary, scary stuff.... right now, I can determine all of the stages in RPs step wedge logo and that's a good sign , right?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2007, 12:22 AM

hi susie,

well, if you can see all the steps in the grayscale chart on RP, that's a good first step. also, i wasnt referring to calibrating printer to monitor. i just meant the monitor itself. if you dont have any hardware to do this with, try one of the links in the library that takes you to a software/online monitor calibration page. the one on RP is a bit too simplistic to really do a decent job.

also, i dont think you needed to white out the sky like in the 2nd one. and yes, it does tend to make everything look brighter. there is some natural sky in the image. a bit of clone painting can make it look pretty decent or maybe clone and a bit of airbrushing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2007, 01:13 AM

i started this last night and didnt finish, so here it is now. it's pretty much my standard fare of contrasting with brightness/contrast layer, clarify, fade correction, clone, push, and airbrush.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chgwrldfair-1-k-1d.jpg (194.9 KB, 10 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2007, 01:30 PM

Craig, that looks really great.

I had a few minutes to work on this again. I took my 2nd picture, added a gray fill layer 50% opacity and masked out everything except the sky and then added some clouds, I also re-adjusted my curves layer.

This morning I spent some time reading threads regarding monitor calibrating and made some adjustments. I'm still not sure if I'm seeing things the way everyone else is seeing them which is not good. Do the changes to my 2nd picture make the picture appear more balanced? It looks good to me, but my previous versions seem very 'contrasty' now.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chgwrldfair3b.jpg (136.5 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by lcramer53; 10-11-2007 at 02:19 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help