RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

How do I best fix/improve this shot.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:49 AM

Re: How do I best fix/improve this shot.

Hi! It's my first attempt to do the retouching...I begin by independently adjusting the individual color channels using levels adjustment layers. Then boost the saturation using hue/saturation with a low opacity. Finally added a channel mixer adjustment layers to fix the blue channel to restore some details.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Amulette_0001.jpg (91.4 KB, 13 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2007, 12:26 PM

Here's my attemt. I just used a levels and curves adjustment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Amulette_0001[1].jpg (99.9 KB, 14 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2007, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999XLT View Post
This was a quick 2 minute fix. I neutralized the color cast using swampy's method (the greatest method EVER IMHO), quick levels adjustment then fixed the contrast using a curve layer. Regards,
Thanks for your help 1999XLT. Gives me something to work with.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2007, 01:13 PM

Hi
I also used the blur/average method, also a little touchup with curves.
Tried to sharpen a little bit.... Looking for detail in eyes - could not find any.
Tom

http://www.pixentral.com/hosted/1eNo...qpcm_thumb.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2007, 01:39 PM

Smile Re: How do I best fix/improve this shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbach View Post
As mentioned previously, take a look at the channels. The red channel is the most affected. I used levels on each individual channel. Then I copied the layer to a new layer using screen blending mode.
Thanks philbach - I have several shots that have this color issue (age I guess) so I will attempt this with all of them. Thank you for your help & time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mligr View Post
The book "Photoshop restoration and retouching" from Katrin Eismann is what you need. There is a chapter in there on exactly this kind of images, where one of the color channels is severely damaged. I don't have the book here with me, and I never had an opportunity to try that technique, but when I get home I will look it up and post the result.

Martin
Hi Martin - - thanks I'll pick that one up. I'm in for a lot of restoring of old slides & shots that I only have prints of. It will certainly help a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy View Post
I also used Swampy's method of blur->average, invert and set blending to overlay, but did it several times before doing a final levels adjustment
Thank you Cassidy - I will try that. I have more shots with this problem - I will work on it & thanks for your time & effort

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillin View Post
I think you have to fix a little the red channel first, then use curves & at last separately boost some colors (i.e. red for the flower).
Thank you chillin - I've downloaded everyone's effort to help me. They all look a wast improvement over the original scan. Thank you for your time & effort & I seem to recall yours being fairly close to the colors I remember of our house wall - I will solicit my mother's help with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayday View Post
Here's my quick fix for you!

If you like it i'll do the tiff when i get time. PM your email and i'll send it to you?
Hi mayday - looks good. I'll send you a pm with my e-mail & thank you for all your time & effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovis View Post
here's a color corrected tiff:

http://download.yousendit.com/5CB83A6707E9F44F

I applied some curves and then boosted the saturation a little.
Hi rovis - I've just downloaded your tiff. It looks great - thank you for your time & effort. It looks very close to what I remember. Thank you so very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkyam View Post
Hi! It's my first attempt to do the retouching...I begin by independently adjusting the individual color channels using levels adjustment layers. Then boost the saturation using hue/saturation with a low opacity. Finally added a channel mixer adjustment layers to fix the blue channel to restore some details.
Thank you mkyam - thank you for all your help & time. I have all these great version to look at now & compare. Thank you again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Penner View Post
Here's my attemt. I just used a levels and curves adjustment.
Hi James, thank you for your effort, time & help. I've got so many to look at up close now. I feel very happy & grateful for everyone's help. Thank you so very much.

Collectively to everyone - - thank you for all the help & suggestions.

Lil
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2007, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K View Post
Hi
I also used the blur/average method, also a little touchup with curves.
Tried to sharpen a little bit.... Looking for detail in eyes - could not find any.
Tom

http://www.pixentral.com/hosted/1eNo...qpcm_thumb.jpg
Thanks Tom, the print is about 38 years old & only 3 1/2 X 3 1/2 inches. I get back what I get back - & I'm just happy to know that I will still have it.

Thank you for your time, help & effort.

Lil
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2007, 09:49 PM

Great job everybody!!!

Lil,

One thing you will realize working with Photoshop is that there is never only one way to get where you wish ....

One of the first thing I learned from Katrin Eismann R&R book (which I strongly recommend) was dealing with a problem similar to yours...

I'm not really one for "quick fixes", but this didn't even take a minute and it was done with a single Levels Adjustment Layer.

From Katrin Eismann's Book I learned that it is safe to assume that shadows cast on a (white) wall are neutral gray, so, with that in mind...
  • Found the 'right' neutral grey spot in your picture. (Attachment 1)

• Opened a Levels Adjustment Layer:
    • Selected the 'Set Gray Point' eyedropper and clicked on the selected spot with it.
    • Moved nearly all sliders to fix the contrast. (Attachment 2)

• Clicked OK.

My workflow > (Attachment 3)
My result > (Attachment 4)

P.S. I worked on the full size tif image, so, the values I used should work for you as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNAP-0003.jpg (139.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-0004.jpg (76.5 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-0005.jpg (115.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg F_Amulette1.jpg (196.7 KB, 47 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2007, 10:01 PM

Hi,
here is my attempt. I used the 'Apply Image' approach described in the Eismann's book I mentioned earlier. I boosted the red channel 200% (multiply red channel on itself), weakened the blue channel a bit (lighten green channel on blue, 10%). Then I tweaked contrast with curves and did some small color adjustments.

The tiff is here:
http://www.box.net/shared/zprskuyzdg

Martin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Amulette_corrected.jpg (31.4 KB, 18 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-13-2007, 12:32 AM

Flora,

How the heck can a photo that looked so bad be fixed with one click? As you said it took seconds to do. I would never in a million years have considered using that method.

Thanks again for your advise and expertise. Appreciated.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-13-2007, 12:43 AM

Hi Lil,

Quick Fix from me as well, you can do more if you like. Cropped the image so as to focus more on the dog, and used the perspective tool to straighten the ridges in the tin. Used a levels adjustment layer, went to the individual channels and brought the sliders in to where the majority of the information is .... that was it. You can go ahead and adjust whatever else you feel is necessary.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Amulette.jpg (86.9 KB, 15 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help