RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

How do I best fix/improve this shot.

Old 10-13-2007, 06:10 AM

Re: How do I best fix/improve this shot.

Hi Lil,

Decided to give the little fella some eyes Can't remember what breed of dog it was that I nicked them from.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Amulette.jpg (82.0 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-13-2007, 04:41 PM

thought i would give this a try just alittle late i guess
adjusted color cast using swampy's method modified slightly. duplicate background layer twice on first copy use average blur, use eyedropper to select that color. turn on opacity of second duplicate layer add a curves layer select the grey point eyedropper and click on the foreground color this will remove the color cast. came up with this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Amulette_0001web.jpg (96.8 KB, 14 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2007, 03:56 AM

albatrosss,

.... simply amazing isn't it???? .... I call it 'the incredible power' of Photoshop!!!

Alison, unimatrix001,

nice job!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2007, 03:06 AM

Hi everybody - want to start by saying sorry for not checking in. Daughter's play which she's tecking in, one of her friend's needing head shots which I then needed to pp a lot, one horse stepped on a screw & now has a swollen leg & limps (slightly lame) & one horse with a cough along with life in general - - I've simply not had time to stop on by. Doesn't mean I've not been thinking about the thread etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora View Post
Great job everybody!!!

Lil,

One thing you will realize working with Photoshop is that there is never only one way to get where you wish ....

One of the first thing I learned from Katrin Eismann R&R book (which I strongly recommend) was dealing with a problem similar to yours...

I'm not really one for "quick fixes", but this didn't even take a minute and it was done with a single Levels Adjustment Layer.

From Katrin Eismann's Book I learned that it is safe to assume that shadows cast on a (white) wall are neutral gray, so, with that in mind...
  • Found the 'right' neutral grey spot in your picture. (Attachment 1)

• Opened a Levels Adjustment Layer:
    • Selected the 'Set Gray Point' eyedropper and clicked on the selected spot with it.
    • Moved nearly all sliders to fix the contrast. (Attachment 2)

• Clicked OK.

My workflow > (Attachment 3)
My result > (Attachment 4)

P.S. I worked on the full size tif image, so, the values I used should work for you as well.
Thanks Flora - I will look for that book & follow your wonderful instructions. Thank you for all the work & help.

Lil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mligr View Post
Hi,
here is my attempt. I used the 'Apply Image' approach described in the Eismann's book I mentioned earlier. I boosted the red channel 200% (multiply red channel on itself), weakened the blue channel a bit (lighten green channel on blue, 10%). Then I tweaked contrast with curves and did some small color adjustments.

The tiff is here:
http://www.box.net/shared/zprskuyzdg

Martin
Thanks Martin - tiff downloaded. The shot looks great. I almost have my Amulette with me again. Amazing what can be done in this program. Thanks for your help, time & effort.

Lil

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatrosss View Post
Flora,

How the heck can a photo that looked so bad be fixed with one click? As you said it took seconds to do. I would never in a million years have considered using that method.

Thanks again for your advise and expertise. Appreciated.
I'm with you albatrosss - how can one click do all that!

Lil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison View Post
Hi Lil,

Quick Fix from me as well, you can do more if you like. Cropped the image so as to focus more on the dog, and used the perspective tool to straighten the ridges in the tin. Used a levels adjustment layer, went to the individual channels and brought the sliders in to where the majority of the information is .... that was it. You can go ahead and adjust whatever else you feel is necessary.
Alison, great input about the perspective, cropping etc etc

Thanks for your help - - Lil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison View Post
Hi Lil,

Decided to give the little fella some eyes Can't remember what breed of dog it was that I nicked them from.
LOL - - remembering her beautiful eyes I have to admit the added eyes give me the shivers. ;-) She had the gentlest of eyes, so typical for a Boxer. Thanks Lil

Quote:
Originally Posted by unimatrix001 View Post
thought i would give this a try just alittle late i guess
adjusted color cast using swampy's method modified slightly. duplicate background layer twice on first copy use average blur, use eyedropper to select that color. turn on opacity of second duplicate layer add a curves layer select the grey point eyedropper and click on the foreground color this will remove the color cast. came up with this.
Thank you unimatrix001 for your input & work flow for me to try out. Your help, effort & time is most appreciated. I'm saving every copy & instructions for me to refer to.

Thanks Lil

Quote:
albatrosss,

.... simply amazing isn't it???? .... I call it 'the incredible power' of Photoshop!!!

Alison, unimatrix001,

nice job!!!
Flora & the rest of you - - thank you all for helping me bring back my beloved Amulette. Part of me now misses her even more.

Lil
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2007, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Great job everybody!!!

Lil,

One thing you will realize working with Photoshop is that there is never only one way to get where you wish ....

One of the first thing I learned from Katrin Eismann R&R book (which I strongly recommend) was dealing with a problem similar to yours...

I'm not really one for "quick fixes", but this didn't even take a minute and it was done with a single Levels Adjustment Layer.

From Katrin Eismann's Book I learned that it is safe to assume that shadows cast on a (white) wall are neutral gray, so, with that in mind...
  • Found the 'right' neutral grey spot in your picture. (Attachment 1)

• Opened a Levels Adjustment Layer:
    • Selected the 'Set Gray Point' eyedropper and clicked on the selected spot with it.
    • Moved nearly all sliders to fix the contrast. (Attachment 2)

• Clicked OK.

My workflow > (Attachment 3)
My result > (Attachment 4)

P.S. I worked on the full size tif image, so, the values I used should work for you as well.
THANKS A LOT Flora. It is amazing how easy things could be if you know how to do it. Great mini tutorial

Here is my try.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dog.jpg (99.8 KB, 14 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2007, 03:09 AM

Thanks Rhasval for your help & effort as well. So many wonderful people helping out. Amulette would have been thrilled knowing her personality.

Thanks, gives me so much to work with.

Lil
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2007, 04:30 AM

You are welcome Rhasval!!

Thanks for the feedback!!!

Quote:
Great mini tutorial
...and great result you got!!! .... your contrast is much better than mine...

Lil,

I'm so glad if we could be of help!!

I'm a 'dog person' myself and share your feelings for these wonderful 'companions' ....
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help