RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

PLEASE HELP. overexposed photo

Old 12-14-2007, 06:34 PM

Re: PLEASE HELP. overexposed photo

Frank, nice job. Did you fix the original, or use one the additional photos that Lauren posted?

Swampy, I too tried what you did, but I didn't like the results.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-14-2007, 06:43 PM

I assume you are talking about the color one: I cheated and used one of the images Lauren posted

The Blue channel actually has some detail that could be used. That is what I used for the b&w.

But since the difference in exposure between the two faces is probably 5 or 6 stops, worked on both faces trying to bring them to a more common exposure by darkening one and lightning the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.Cox View Post
Frank, nice job. Did you fix the original, or use one the additional photos that Lauren posted?

Swampy, I too tried what you did, but I didn't like the results.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2007, 05:02 PM

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH! i really appreciate your help and kindness!

im trying out things too, playing around with skintones from other photos only im no pro lol!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2007, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lopes View Post
I assume you are talking about the color one: I cheated and used one of the images Lauren posted

The Blue channel actually has some detail that could be used. That is what I used for the b&w.

But since the difference in exposure between the two faces is probably 5 or 6 stops, worked on both faces trying to bring them to a more common exposure by darkening one and lightning the other.
Frank. . . . you do great work!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-24-2007, 10:21 PM

Wow, nice job everyone! On the ones where you used the face from a different picture what tool did you use to "cut it out"?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-25-2007, 08:45 AM

Most of the time, to "cut out" an Image I use the pen tool. When I need to cut out an image with fly away hair, I usually create a selection mask using channels.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-25-2007, 11:25 AM

Rubykate, I did it the crude way: used the lasso in Photoshop, pasted the head on top the image that needed help and erased what I didn't need.

TreesOfMyTime, thanks for the compliment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubykate View Post
Wow, nice job everyone! On the ones where you used the face from a different picture what tool did you use to "cut it out"?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2007, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Most of the time, to "cut out" an Image I use the pen tool. When I need to cut out an image with fly away hair, I usually create a selection mask using channels.
Quote:
used the lasso in Photoshop, pasted the head on top the image that needed help and erased what I didn't need.
I've tried using the pen and the lasso but it seems I end up with a tangled mess. The selection mask using channels sounds interesting.

Are there and good tutorials for these features?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2007, 05:33 PM

The pen tool can seem intimidating, as it works quite different that what you are used to. Once you understand the concept though, it is actually the easiest and quickest way to make most complex selections. I only use the lasso tool for rough quick selections, where I don't need a very accurate selection. I find it too tedious to use for precise selections. The selection mask can be easy to use, but it also can be very involved, and requires a bit of practice and intuition to master. I really recommend that you learn all of the various selection methods, as the different methods are useful in different situations.

There are many tutorials for the pen tool in books, and on the web. I think that there are even some here. Here is one that you might find useful http://davesdfr.com/Media/PenTool2.htm

Last edited by Dave.Cox; 12-27-2007 at 09:25 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2008, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lopes View Post
Would you consider a color one?
I wondered if there is a tutorial on how you did this? I also have some photos with the same problem and would love to learn how to do this kind of retouching.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help