RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Help with first project, please

View Poll Results: Am I silly because of this post?
No, you're brave 1 100.00%
Yes, you're silly 0 0%
Silly with potential... 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-06-2008, 03:05 PM

Red face Help with first project, please

Hello everybody from Venezuela. Excuse my English, please. I've been reading old posts and I'm so happy to found this site full of nice & generous people.

As you will see later, I really need your help with this.

I don´t know if you like to know the picture story, but is this: These are my wife's all seven brothers only photo. Sadly, the boy with the seemingly green shirt died very young.

Knowing nothing about real digital restoration, I did this very little scan four years ago and made some things in a very amateur program called Ulead Photo Express that came with the scanner. Here you can see what I did, if you can resist the silliness.

First, I fill the blank spaces. Second I did some cleaning, color, etc. Finally, knowing it wasn´t very good, I did a painting version to hide my weak results... Yeah, yeah. Stop laughing and keep reading.

Another bad thing is, as far as I know, the original paper photo is lost now.

Of course I want to see something better from you but I also want to learn,

I have Photoshop CS now so you can refer to that.

Please recommend me the right tutorial for all the damage you see here. Thanks in advance and sorry again for the little image.

Thanks to jeaniesa for the file resizing tutorial.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SevenBrothersORIG.jpg (72.3 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg SevenBrothers01.jpg (81.6 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg SevenBrothers02.jpg (57.8 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg SevenBrothers03.jpg (91.7 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 01-07-2008 at 05:38 PM. Reason: reformat a bit to make is easier to read
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2008, 05:37 PM

Re: Help with first project, please

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristiano007 View Post
Hello everybody from Venezuela. Excuse my English, please. I've been reading old posts and I'm so happy to found this site full of nice & generous people.

As you will see later, I really need your help with this.

I don´t know if you like to know the picture story, but is this: These are my wife's all seven brothers only photo. Sadly, the boy with the seemingly green shirt died very young.

Knowing nothing about real digital restoration, I did this very little scan four years ago and made some things in a very amateur program called Ulead Photo Express that came with the scanner. Here you can see what I did, if you can resist the silliness.

First, I fill the blank spaces. Second I did some cleaning, color, etc. Finally, knowing it wasn´t very good, I did a painting version to hide my weak results... Yeah, yeah. Stop laughing and keep reading.

Another bad thing is, as far as I know, the original paper photo is lost now.

Of course I want to see something better from you but I also want to learn,

I have Photoshop CS now so you can refer to that.

Please recommend me the right tutorial for all the damage you see here. Thanks in advance and sorry again for the little image.

Thanks to jeaniesa for the file resizing tutorial.
Welcome to RetouchPRo cristiano. Do not worry... your English is better than mine!

I moved your thread to this "Image Help" forum and changed the title so more people would notice it. I do not do this type of repair work, but others do. I am sure someone will make some suggestions.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2008, 10:19 PM

I am not a professional retoucher, but this is my try.

dc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kids.jpg (189.2 KB, 26 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2008, 12:07 AM

I gave it a try but I'm still learning and not good with stains. I used levels adjustment layers, a little smudging and several layers with paint. I didn't work on the lower half where the clothing needs cleaning up. It's a little blurry from sizing it down.
Nan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image05.jpg (88.2 KB, 35 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2008, 03:42 AM

Thumbs up Re: Help with first project, please

Oh, I'm so happy to see some results. Thanks DannyRaphael for moving and modifying the threat, it really worked.
Dcobb, your try is very good, better color balance and definition. The white clothes look great. Thanks!
Nan, I think yours is a very professional result, looks clean and clear. I like the colored look, is more effective that my final painting look. Very usable for me, thanks!
In the other hand, I would like to see some of you trying the original white stains image, I'm flattered that you are using my reconstructions (specially that weird hand)but I'm aware these are not the best. So, please... By the way, the girl with that hand is my wife!!!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help