Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Help With Smoothing Wrinkles In Clothing

Old 12-30-2010, 12:57 PM
Re: Help With Smoothing Wrinkles In Clothing

Originally Posted by vidrazor View Post
Thanks for your replies.

.... So are you saying I would d&b on the blurred layer while leaving the detail layer alone? ....
D&B + color adjustments on low frequency layer & texture healing on high frequency layer.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2010, 07:13 PM

Thanks again for your replies. In all honesty, I don't see an advantage here to straight processes. Distorted patterns and textures need very discreet hacking to (hopefully) make it viable, and this approach to me only doubles the amount of work you need to do, with little or no real advantage. Or I should say that I'm not seeing where the advantage here is.

However, I did experiment with the HF layer and discovered that it makes for a great alternative to typical sharpening processes like Hi-Pass, Unsharp, and standard noise-based algorithms. Discarding the blur layer and applying the HF layer it as Vivid, Hard, Overlay of Soft with any given layer or fill percentage gives various levels of sharpening without the ringing effects typically found in all other sharpening processes. I think it may become my sharpening/datail process of choice from now on.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2010, 04:45 AM

Sharpening with the high pass layer has almost no advantage over using traditional methods like high pass or Smart Sharpen.

The benefit of using it when ironing clothes is that you can first work on the underlying form (e.g. get rid of shadows) without worrying about the texture, in the next step you can fix all the texture without worrying about the form.
In same cases that's a huge time saver, in others you're right, there's no benefit in using it :-).
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2011, 06:45 AM

Not sure if this one counts, but I did large gaussean blur followed by retexturizing using the original as a displacement map reference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smoothwrnkls.jpg (194.1 KB, 123 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help