RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

DVD and PICS

Old 01-27-2008, 11:54 AM

DVD and PICS

Hi all,

A friend of mine gave me a DVD-R with pictures on it to extract a couple pictures of her father. This was a memorial service for him and it was done with music and pictures both on the DVD. Everyone of the family got a copy but only one family member has the originals and they are not giving them up. I thought this would be a breeze to do for her but for some reason I cannot do it. Anyone have some suggestions? She also took it to a photo processing center and they could not do it either. Surely there has to be a way!

bcarll
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2008, 12:06 PM

Re: DVD and PICS

Are the images individual files where there is one file for each photo?

Or was this a program that you run and it displays the images while playing the music?

In the first case it is just a matter of browsing the CD with patience looking for the file that you are interested in.

In the second case you can either:
get the software that was used to create the program and hopefully allows you to export individual "shots"
or
you do it the hard way: run the program from the cd and when you encounter a photo that you want do a screen capture. Needless to say this is a very crude way to get there. But might be your last option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarll View Post
Hi all,

A friend of mine gave me a DVD-R with pictures on it to extract a couple pictures of her father. This was a memorial service for him and it was done with music and pictures both on the DVD. Everyone of the family got a copy but only one family member has the originals and they are not giving them up. I thought this would be a breeze to do for her but for some reason I cannot do it. Anyone have some suggestions? She also took it to a photo processing center and they could not do it either. Surely there has to be a way!

bcarll
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2008, 12:36 PM

hi,
well first it sounds like it a movie slide show....

question then become is this a mpg or avi file on a data disk? (ie; it only plays on a pc) or is this a movie dvd that plays on your stand alone dvd player?.....

a. if it a mpg or avi or wmv file that on a data disk..... then you can easily copy that file to the hard drive and then open it in your windows media player and extrac the the images you want

b. if it a movie dvd...!! then i suggest one meathod is to use a dvd ripper program to extract the movie file from the dvd onto your hard drive (save file as avi) and then import into your windows movie editor..... go to download.com there several free dvd movie rippers you can get....

c. another possibity, but many time you get poor results , when playing on the pc, just stop the action and then do a screen capture (hit the prtscn key) and then paste into your paint program ... but like i said sometime quality is bad....

final note keep in mind the picture willnot be the highest quality , generally by default these movie slides shows reduce the orginals resolution of the pictures down to about 640x480 ...

Quote:
Hi all,

bcarll
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2008, 04:20 PM

Let me give a little more info on my situation -- thanks for all the suggestions so far. I tried the screen save option and then to paste into paint but all I get is a black screen with no picture. It is capturing everything else on the screen but not the pic. When I open the file it looks like this VTS_01_1.
Then it says --- Power DVD File. So the print screen isn't working and I'll have to go with your other suggestions but that is new ground for me. I don't know if I can find out what software was used to create this or not. Will keep trying if you will keep suggesting other options. And yes it is a slide show with music in the background. Pictures fade to another picture, Very well done.

bcarll

Last edited by bcarll; 01-27-2008 at 04:22 PM. Reason: more info
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2008, 04:33 PM

Why doesn't your friend contact the "family" member and ask for a copies of the individual prints of the father? If they were copied to a DVD they would have had to be made digital some where in the process. As mentioned above, if you do a screen capture off a DVD the image quality won't be good and you probably won't get anything bigger than a 4x6. If the family member won't give them to you, you could offer to buy.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2008, 04:57 PM

hi,
whenusing a screen capture routine, you can get anthing from nothing to a bad quality copy or maybe sometimes a good quality... a lot depends on the videocard and player ... so it not surprising that you got the results have.... trying to screen capture....

if it a movie dvd it doesn't matter what program made it.... they all use the same format layout......

this ripper software will probably do what you need and it free... there also support section and a forum
http://www.labdv.com/dvdx/ after you ripped the video off the dvd and saved it in mpg or avi..... open it in your window movie maker ... then hilight the frame you want.... and then click the "take picture" button (below the preview screen) .. and it will save frame in the n jpg format ...

Quote:
Let me give a little more info on my situation -- thanks for all the suggestions so far. I tried the screen save option and then to paste into paint but all I get is a black screen with no picture. It is capturing everything else on the screen but not the pic. When I open the file it looks like this VTS_01_1.
Then it says --- Power DVD File. So the print screen isn't working and I'll have to go with your other suggestions but that is new ground for me. I don't know if I can find out what software was used to create this or not. Will keep trying if you will keep suggesting other options. And yes it is a slide show with music in the background. Pictures fade to another picture, Very well done.

bcarll
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2008, 05:22 PM

Quote:

bcarll
It was made with POWER DVD which is a free download. The link is to the newer version, just type power dvd into google and there is a link to the older version.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2008, 11:21 AM

Even if the DVD is a slide show with music, it depends on how it was decoded as to whether you can realistically recover good quality photos. If the original photos are stored on the disk, then you should be able to recover them and retrieve a good photo. If they were converted to part of a video file, then the resolution has been reduced, and you will probably only be able to get as good as you can see on the screen. What you need to do is use a program that can decipher what is on the DVD, and show you the individual files. I would probably use Nero Recode for that kind of thing. I sure there are others, but I don't know what they are.

And, who owns the copyright for those photos? It may not be worth pursuing.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help