RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Remove Yellow Colorcast

Old 04-10-2002, 10:15 PM

Angry Remove Yellow - Remove All!

Hello,

When removing the yellowing from this photograph, I also
lost data. Since the chemicals in the old photograph turned
the entire picture yellow, I guess there is no way to prevent
the loss of data when correcting for the yellow color cast.

I tried masking the bad areas and then darkening them with curves, hue and saturation, etc. Result didn't look bad on the
screen but stunk when I tried to print it on my Epson Color Stylus 870.

Anyone have any suggestions? I am open.

Thanks,

Kenneth
Attached Images
File Type: jpg test1b.jpg (39.1 KB, 132 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2002, 10:16 PM

Remove Yellow - Remove All Second Pic

Here is the adjusted picture. Hope you can see the problem.

Kenneth
Attached Images
File Type: jpg test1.jpg (53.5 KB, 121 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2002, 10:22 PM

Adjusting for dropout - Colorcast

Hello All,

I have noticed that when I remove yellowing from older color photographs that I also end up losing parts of the pictures. The
results look blotchy.

Does anyone know of a good way of darkening specific areas of a photograph where the data has been lost? For instance, if the top part of a suit is normal and the bottom looks ghost like, is there a way to darken the lower side and have it look realistic?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Kenneth
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2002, 12:53 AM

Clarification...

To be sure I understand, by "losing data" are you referring (for example) to the loss of detail in the black coat...where in the 'after' image you can no longer see the creases and wrinkled parts?

Note: Regardless of your answer, I'm not qualified to give you decent advice. I'm a rookie here... Just trying to better understand your problem.

I'm sure advice from more experienced folks will be arriving in abundance in the next 12 hours (or less).
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2002, 01:16 AM

Hi Kenneth,

Welcome to RetouchPRO!

I have a similar question to Danny. Can you be more specific about the "loss of data" you're inquiring about? It is great that you've included a before/after example for us to look at! However, there are a couple of things that catch my eye that you could be referring to and I want to make sure that I fully understand your question. That being said, I'll give my $.02 worth.

In general, the photo looks faded (non-uniform) in addition to having a yellow color cast. Fading is a loss of data. If you are referring to losing the detail in the coat (as Danny suggested), then I would reduce the contrast correction (be that with levels or curves). One thing I have learned about fading is that you will see details in the faded photo that may not have been visible to the naked eye in the original. So, you have to determine how much of the detail you want/need to keep and make adjustments accordingly.

I also notice some blue pixels have cropped up as a result of your color cast correction. I've been known to use the "Color range" selection tool of Photoshop to select pixels with a similar hue and then use either curves or color balance to correct. That tends to work a lot better in dark areas though because it doesn't need to be as precise.

I'm wondering if the white shirt is also a concern - perhaps a little washed out? In that particular case, when I look at the original, there doesn't seem to be much data there to begin with. However, if you were to look at the individual RGB channels, you will probably find at least one with more data than another. You can then "replace" the bad channel (no data) with a good channel (and adjust for the likely color shift.)

Having given you all of this info, let me say that I am not an expert at this. This is just what I would try based on some photos I've worked on before. If I have not answered your question, please try asking again. If I can't answer, I'm sure someone else can.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2002, 02:47 AM

I hope this is some help....if your talking about faded out/washed out sections....this is what I do.
select the faded area and then add an adjustment layer/level/set to multiply and start at 50 percent opacity.....then adjust....also a little feathering.
I hope this is what your after, if not someone else will be along shortly!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2002, 07:26 AM

Kenneth, you might try the following as a first step: (1) add a Color Balance correction layer (2) add cyan to the midtone,highlight and shadow tone areas by checking the appropriate box on the color adj. dialogue box. probably around 35 for midtone, 25 for highlight and 20 or so to shadows. That should help get rid of the yellow then place a color marker and use levels to fine tune. The cyan component dye in old color photos is very unstable and is the first to fade. By replacing it you can generally preserve detail and get a good balance which will only need a bit of tweaking....Good luck, and welcome to the site! Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2002, 07:33 AM

This is just a general type suggestion, but you might try masking the faded portion, duplicating it to a seperate layer, and then playing with increasing the saturation and using different blending modes like multiply or overlay etc.....Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2002, 09:39 AM

Hi Kenneth,
Welcome to Retouch Pro. The yellow cast doesn't seem to be your problem here. I ran auto levels and the color cast seems to be removed. What didn't get repaired is the severe damage that is present in the blue channel. Note the bluish streaks at the bottom of the image. You will probably have to replace that channel as was pointed out by Jeanie. Check this thread for instructions on how to do that. Let us know how it works out for you.
DJ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg test 1.jpg (58.6 KB, 42 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2002, 10:49 AM

I had a try at this picture, my effort is attached.

I chose to adjust different parts of the image separately. I first made a rough selection around the man's shirt and used a levels adjustment layer to get the shirt looking almost white. Then I painted with black over the non-shirt parts of the selection that I hadn't wanted to affect.

I then repeated with adjustment layers for the lady's sweater and pants and finally for the skin.

I think the sweater ended up too bright for the context, but enough is enough.

Margaret
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yellowish copy.jpg (12.2 KB, 51 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help