RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Correcting Color in Part of an Image

Old 02-09-2008, 11:39 PM

Correcting Color in Part of an Image

Below is the original image, followed (hopefully) by the problem I'm having. The central colors in the pool are out of gamut (OOG) for my Epson 1280. To correct this, I've Lassoed the OOG colors to restrict the correction to just those colors & made a layer & corrected them. However, I get the image in the second one shown.

There has to be a better way to do this. Any advice?

[I'm having trouble uploading decent-size images. The original is about 270 MB in size & getting that to 200 KB is a challenge.]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Quiet Pool for RetouchPRO.jpg (48.6 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg Quiet Pool for RetouchPRO2.jpg (49.6 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by One4UAll; 02-10-2008 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Better 2nd image
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2008, 10:43 PM

Re: Correcting Color in Part of an Image

Your images are too small to see much. What program are you using? Is this Photoshop? What version? If this is photoshop, try using the save for web option, to get a larger sized image with a file size that is small enough to upload.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2008, 02:54 AM
Patron

Right on Dave.. I didn't even know there was a pond there..
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2008, 04:01 AM

hi there,

try this:

view: gammut warning(switch on)
duplicate bckgrnd
select: color range: out of gammut(pict)
hide selection
hue/sat correction -usually set the saturation- till U see most of the gammut warning
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gammut.jpg (69.3 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by saby; 02-11-2008 at 08:38 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2008, 11:11 AM

Dave, OlBaldy: I'm replacing the two original images with two I think will be larger. Note that the second image is of poor quality. However, it shows the problem, namely, the "ghost" effect of using Lasso to select to a layer, making color adj's to that layer & then what happens when that layer is merged with a Background copy.

Saby's advice is well taken. Didn't think of Color Range. I tried to avoid Hue/Saturation because I want to control sat. reduction much as possible, so I used Curves to a point where I eliminated most of Gamut Warning while preserving original colors much as possible.

I've played with Adjustment Layers & layer masking, which seemed to work ok, but when I used a Curves adj layer, it affected the entire image, not the area masked. Using layers & layer masks is complex for me & I like to keep things simple. But, here, it may not be simple.

I like Saby's suggestion because it is simple, but if Dave & OlBaldy have suggestions as well, simple or not, I'm open to their suggestions, too.

So, anyway, here goes for two attachments I hope will be better.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Quiet-Pool-RetouchPRO.gif (197.0 KB, 49 views)
File Type: gif Quiet-Pool-for-RetouchPRO2.gif (170.8 KB, 43 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2008, 06:25 PM

I'm not seeing any out of gamut colors, but since you saved it as a 32 bit indexed gif, there won't be any out of gamut colors. When you save it as an indexed gif, only the colors needed for the image needed are saved, and for a 32 bit gif, only 32 colors are saved.

Also, your second image appears to be very blurry.

The first image appears to be a nice image, but needs a level adjustment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Quiet-Pool-RetouchPRO.jpg (139.0 KB, 28 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2008, 10:21 PM

Thanks Dave for your advice & the compliment. A lot gets lost in the translation in resizing & uploading, I guess. I did want a more dramatic look, since that is how I remember the actual scene. It's good to know I need only a simple Levels adj. & I'll try that, altho I'd like to darken the stones on the left, as well. But, I see what you meant earlier about your not realizing it's a pool of water & that's my challenge. Thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2008, 11:44 PM

I kind of like the rock on the left they way they are. It give a nice ambiance, and keeps the photo as a whole from looking too dark. However, it's all a matter of taste. If you want to darken the rocks, the best way would to be to select what you want to darken, using the pen tool, and converting the path to a selection. Once you make your selection, you can soften the selection if you want by feathering the selection. It just depends on what you are looking for. If you want to darken everything except the water, you might select the water, invert the selection, feather the selection, and then adjust by adding a levels or curves layer.

By the way, I made my previous adjustment by adding a levels layer to the entire photo, and pulling the makers in on each channel to balance out the colors. I then lightened the whole photo some by dragging the RGB slider to the left some. I added another layer to lighten the upper left some, and added a gradient mask to restrict the adjustment to the upper left corner. The entire adjustment took about 5 minutes.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2008, 08:35 PM

I added a little blue after leveling to try to highlight the water. It is hard for me to see how and where the water is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Quiet-Pool-RetouchPRO.leveled.blued.775.jpg (95.8 KB, 18 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2008, 09:37 PM

This may not be exactly to the point you need but I'll share some info I discovered on my own concerning my Epson printers. I now own five (5) of them from small to large format. My smallest is the R320. Straight out of the box from day one it was spot on in rendering my images in both color and density. I never had to change a thing. When I bought my 2200 it took forever to tune it in and still at times it was all out of whack no matter how many tutorials I tried from the Epson site and using my spider calibration. hahnemuhle paper sponsors some of my artwork and I felt terrible about the amount of paper I burned in the calibration even though I used test strips. One day I just happened to drop my color profiles from my R320 into the profile folder of my 2200 and chose that during my next printing. Crazy as it seems or simple I guess but it worked perfectly and I never have had a problem since and I do the same thing with all of my printers. Hope this helps someone.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help