RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

hello everyone im new - would like some opinions

Old 03-19-2008, 08:46 PM

hello everyone im new - would like some opinions

Hello everyone

I've been using photoshop since i was a kid (24 now).. been doing graphic design for a while - but i really want to move into digital compositing and retouching, as such im practicing as much as possible in the evenings with the view to get good enough to be paid for it one day

I googled "old lady" earlier and found an image to work with -I've been working on this image tonight, wanted to go quite hardcore as im trying to use as many techniques as possible - but not "plasticy" - still trying to retain the look of an older woman, whilst vastly transforming her face.... god im ranting, but yeah - this is where i'm up to so far, would really like some constructive criticism if possible.

many thanks

before

before

after

after

Last edited by samoflak; 03-19-2008 at 08:52 PM. Reason: fix links
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2008, 10:52 PM
Patron

Re: hello everyone im new - would like some opinio

Quote:
Originally Posted by samoflak View Post
would really like some constructive criticism if possible.

before

after
Hmmm.. you have made some dramatic changes. The hair and dress look good.
Possibly your monitor needs calibrated.. in the after shot there is an erasure halo around the top of her head.

The problem with the changes you have made are.. they are not invisible and are easily spotted, IE..

The heads features, eyes, nose mouth are dis-proportionate.. bug eyes and itty-bitty mouth

The hair added by the thumb and the other side of the cheek does not match the surrounding hair in texture

her hand and forearm are now huge

The outlines of both arms show unevenness caused by using the transform filter numerous times at different places (the outline is wavy)

You are off to a good start.. just need a bit more practice with your tools before you get to where you can not tell if the image was manipulated or not.

Keep up the work.. you should be able to achieve your goal with a bit more practice

I hope this was not to critical.. I think you have good potential..
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-20-2008, 04:48 AM

Re: hello everyone im new - would like some opinio

def not too critical thanks for taking the time to go through the image - i'm after all the advice i can get.

I see what you mean about the "easily spotted" vibe...but yeah as i said i was trying to go as hardcore as possible as im trying to learn as much as i can - is this a good approach?

i really wanted to create a "new person" out of the source image rather than retouch it. - This is the first time i have ever manipulated the shape of someones face, I found it really hard to retain proportion - now i come to think of it, she does look like a 60 year old manga character haha - i did notice the eraser halo, was planning on correcting it tonight when i get some more free time (damn work) as i'm intending on working on this image further. however, i have never calibrated my computer monitor at home (boss did it for me at work), i'll have to look into how to do this tonight, so thanks for bringing that up.

again - i really appreciate the feedback, many thanks
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help