RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Resizing a PSD-They're lossy!

Old 04-04-2008, 09:49 PM

Resizing a PSD-They're lossy!

While resizing PSD files, they're degrading like JPEG's. I've always worked with PSD's with no ill effects.

Yes, I flattened the images before resizing.

Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2008, 10:03 PM

Re: Resizing a PSD-They're lossy!

resizing by how much and which direction?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2008, 10:21 PM

Image size is ~177x433. I'm resizing to half that to do my thumbnails, then back up to the original size. I lose on the way down AND up.

This is a function I've done many times before with no problem.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2008, 10:59 PM

if you are using pscs2 try converting the image to a smart object resize down to do thumbnails and the up to original size. smart objects do not lose any resolution when changing up or down... with in a reasonable amount.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2008, 11:13 PM

I'm using PS 7.

I've never had this happen before. It's weird. Could it be some kind of memory problem on my computer?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2008, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynda99 View Post
I'm using Photoshop 7.

I've never had this happen before. It's weird. Could it be some kind of memory problem on my computer?
I'm not sure I understand. When you resize down are you saving that as a different file? Why resize down and then upsample again? In the image size menu do you have the "resample image" box checked or unchecked? I'm not sure I remember what options are in the >image > image size menu in version 7.
~Nancy
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2008, 12:18 AM

Yes, I save as a different file name. I upsample again because I discard many of the changes before closing. In other words, I retouch the larger photo. Then I sharpen more, add more contrast, etc, for the little pics, (before reducing, of course) since they look better like that. Sizes aren't exact, sometimes I'll tweak the sizes to look better visually.

Resample image is checked "bicubic". I unchecked it, but the outcome is the same.

With just simple size reduction (image>image size), I'm having a big loss of quality, much more than you would lose on a jpeg save. Does that make any sense, or do I need to go to bed?

Last edited by Lynda99; 04-05-2008 at 01:01 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2008, 09:07 AM

To resize down for thumbnails, try using save for web, and resize using the save for web dialog. This way you are downsizing only the image that you are saving, and it is also much faster. In addition, since the original is not resized, no data get tossed.

Oops, I just noticed that you are using PS7. In which case, you will find the save for web option in Image Ready. Just switch to Image Ready, and use save for web.
Attached Images
File Type: png SaveforWeb.png (4.6 KB, 10 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2008, 03:40 PM

No 'save for web" in my ImageReady.

I guess I'm over-thinking this. I just want to be able to retouch and resize in a non-lossy format.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynda99 View Post
Image size is ~177x433. I'm resizing to half that to do my thumbnails, then back up to the original size. I lose on the way down AND up.

This is a function I've done many times before with no problem.
Lynda, though you say you've done this many times before, is this usually the size of the files you're working with? 174x433 isn't very big, so there aren't many pixels to work with. Going up or down from there causes Photoshop to have to resample regardless. The result will be a fuzzy image. The quality will be worse from upsizing than from downsizing.

I always do all of my retouching, enhancement and other Photoshop work on the original sized image and save the resizing for last. After I finish the work, I flatten the image, save it as a different name, so all my previous work is preserved, then do my resizing. And of course, save the resized images under different names as well. When downsizing, I always run an Unsharp Mask filter on the image to restore some of the sharpness that was taken away from the downsampling. Nothing major, something like Amount 40%, Radius 1, Threshold 1.

Upsampling a file that size will almost never end well. You're sure to find artifacting and the more you upsize it, the more degraded it will look. There are those who swear by the technique of upsizing by 1% at a time. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

If it were possible to start with a bigger image, you'll have better results.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help