RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Green and bright

Old 04-05-2008, 07:03 PM

Green and bright

Hey all.

I have about 7 years' casual experience with using Photoshop to touch up and restore pictures, but this one's just stumping me. My usual bag of tricks aren't working, so I thought I'd pose it to some experts to see if you have any suggestions for me.

I'm trying to edit the picture of the girl holding a very handsome guinea pig ('greened.jpg'). Kodak didn't do so well with their colors when the film was developed, and it'd be a hassle for me to go back to the person who took it in order to ask it get printed again.

Every time I try to use "adjust levels" or "adjust color" the entire thing gets far too washed out. Can anyone give me a start? For reference, I'm also attaching a picture which gives a better approximation of the girl's usual skin tone and hair color.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg greened.jpg (88.9 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg reference.jpg (90.5 KB, 40 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2008, 07:59 PM

Re: Green and bright

A quick CB while pie eyed on an uncalibrated monitor. May look horrible to me in the daylight, but its a start for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cavielow.jpg (78.5 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg cavie2low.jpg (72.5 KB, 26 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2008, 08:07 PM

I "ABSOLUTELY NEVER!!!" use AUTO anything in Photoshop. Never have, never will, despise it, think it should be an amendment to the constitution forbidding its use. Butttttttttttttt!!!!! For possible ease of use for you, not knowing your skill level I hit the auto color button and unbelievably on my monitor it was dead on.

Image, adjust, auto color.

Let me know.

c
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2008, 09:01 PM
Patron

Hi KPCS,
There are many ways to correct the cast. One of the most effective ways is to open the image in Photoshop's Camera RAW. Select the White Balance tool and just touch an area on the guinea pig's head that should be white. The entire cast is gone and the skin color look very natural - Sample below (with a quick dose of Red Eye Reduction Tool).

You can also open the image in Camera RAW and drag the Green Temperature slider toward Magenta till the green cast disappears.

You can also use Photoshops AutoColor or a Level / Curves adjustment layer resetting the white point. However, I find this latter method, while removing the green cast, tend to make the skin color magenta. The magenta can be removed with a selective color adj layer, but it is a little more effort,

Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kpcs greened MM.jpg (152.3 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by mistermonday; 04-05-2008 at 10:43 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2008, 09:50 PM

Thanks so much for the tips so far. I've already tried auto as well as manual adjustment of layers and I wasn't getting a good effect, but I think that maybe the thing I was lacking was the idea to play with midtones and highlights separately. I'm going to play with those a bit.

I guess even once the color is "neutralized" or however one might call it, I'm still a bit disgruntled at the paleness of the photo.

Is there some Photoshop Magic Techniques that I can use to take the other photo of the girl's skin color and somehow enhance the skin tone in the washed out photo? Some sort of over-layer or color matching or something?

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2008, 10:40 PM
Patron

Yes, the skin was a bit pale after removing the color cast. Many ways to do it but one quick method is to duplicate the background layer, then apply the Green Channel to the to the image and change the blend mode to Luminosity. The skin seemed a bit red so I applied a Selective Color adj layer selecting the Red channel and reducing Magenta while increasing the blacks a bit.
Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kpcs greened MM 2.jpg (149.2 KB, 24 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2008, 10:56 PM

Used the Threshold to find the highlights and dark point. Used Levels to colour correct.

Joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg greened2.jpg (96.7 KB, 42 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2008, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday View Post
One of the most effective ways is to open the image in Photoshop's Camera RAW.
Regards, Murray
? How do you open a jpg with ACR?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2008, 10:11 AM
Patron

There are several ways to do so. From Photoshop from the file menu, select Open As. When the dialog box comes up, select Camera Raw form the File Type pull down menu, the navigate to where your .jpg is stored and click open.

If you are using Adobe Bridge, you can do a File > Open With Camera Raw.

You can also set the Preferences in PS and / or Bridge to always open jpg and tiff files in Camera Raw. This will save a lot of time if you use Camera Raw continually to do work on jpg files.

Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2008, 10:47 AM

Not to hijack this thread, but the 1st method causes a "program error" dialog box. The 2nd method is not possible as the "open with Camera Raw" is greyed out.

weird

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday View Post
There are several ways to do so. From Photoshop from the file menu, select Open As. When the dialog box comes up, select Camera Raw form the File Type pull down menu, the navigate to where your .jpg is stored and click open.

If you are using Adobe Bridge, you can do a File > Open With Camera Raw.

You can also set the Preferences in Photoshop and / or Bridge to always open jpg and tiff files in Camera Raw. This will save a lot of time if you use Camera Raw continually to do work on jpg files.

Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help