RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Photo workflow help...

Old 04-07-2008, 04:25 AM

Photo workflow help...

Gday All,

Am not exactly sure where to start, but have been checking out different threads... Anyway, I am wondering about my photoshop workflow, and how to improve. I am shooting RAW and processing with Capture 1 LE. I usually desatch a bit, and adding some contrast...

Can someone please advise how they would go about editing the attached photo from start to finish and why they would use one technique over another? I hope you guys dont mind helping out. It would be greatly appreciated, and I am sure someone may learn too...

Thanks,
Lloyd
Attached Images
File Type: jpg test_1368.jpg (71.5 KB, 131 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-09-2008, 11:16 AM

Re: Photo workflow help...

Are you using Photoshop CS3, or an earlier version? I'm asking because I have a proven retouching workflow that I swore by until CS3 came along. Then I totally revamped it and am getting even better results.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-09-2008, 12:06 PM

What's the brief?

I mean you can edit just for editing sake, but usually there's some sort of brief involved that tells you what the client wants done to it. Depending on that, you can devise a workflow.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-09-2008, 08:27 PM

Hey Guys,
Thanks for the replies. I have been using CS3. Well, at this stage it would essentially be for model folio comp shots which would not require too much editing I would have thought.

I have never been asked to do anything elaborate in post production, but what would a high fashion beauty shot require?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-09-2008, 08:51 PM

To me, whether it's high fashion or a portrait for mom, the most important aspect of facial retouching is that it should look realistic and never overdone.

As I said in my previous response, I have a retouching workflow that I have had great success with. Now that I know you have CS3, I can give you my updated secrets on facial softening. Here's the workflow in a nutshell:

1. Duplicate the Background layer for retouching
2. Healing brush for blemishes and lines
3. Patch tool (I'm not kidding) for under eyes. (It's too big an area for the healing brush). I use the Fade command to blend the effect so it looks realistic.
4. Turn the retouched layer into a smart object, so you can use smart filters.
5. Run a Gaussian Blur: Radius 4 pixels (can be different, depending on resolution).
6. Repeat step 5, so you have a Smart Filter with 2 Gaussian Blurs.
7. Edit the first Gaussian blur to change the opacity to 40% and the blending mode to Darken.
8. Edit the second Gaussian Blur to change the opacity to 40% and the blending mode to Lighten.
9. Now fill the Smart filter layer mask with black to remove the effect.
10. Using the Paintbrush tool (keyboard shortcut "b"), and a soft edged brush, paint on that layer mask with white to brush in the softening effect on the appropriate areas of the face (forehead, cheeks, chin, sometimes the neck). Make sure you do not brush over the eyes, eyebrows, eyelashes, lips, teeth, or any shiny jewelry.

I've found this softening combination gives me the most natural looking softening effect. And you can paint at varying levels of opacity to have a more or less pronounced effect. Best of all, because the softening is being provided by a smart filter through a layer mask, the effect is totally reversible or even removable! To me this alone made the upgrade to CS3 worth it.

After the above, I'd do whatever other subjective or required retouching that had to be done, like flyaway hairs, lightening eyes and teeth, shiny faces or foreheads, or selective toning of background, clothing, etc. But as far as my workflow for facial retouching goes, I use this every time with great results. As a matter of fact, I took Steps 4-9 and created an action, coupled with a keyboard shortcut. Now when I open an image, I just hit the keyboard shortcut and after the action runs, I simply go into the smart object, do my healing brush retouching and then paint in the softening on the layer mask that's waiting for me and voila! With the action, the whole retouching process start to finish takes about 10 minutes or less.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-09-2008, 09:13 PM

Here's my retouch on that file. Took me about 5 minutes to complete.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg test_1368 Retouched.jpg (77.9 KB, 115 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2008, 09:07 PM

Hey there,
I just wanted to say thanks for the advice. Just trying to suss it out, and will try and post my own edited version soon... I am kinda slow with PS...
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2008, 10:23 PM

Lloyd,
Also worth noting is the general workflow for glamour retouching. It is not specific, but rather ensures you work on the correct tasks in the correct order. Depending on a clients requirements, you may limit certain steps.

The basic beauty workflow is the following (with personal preference's to some):
1. Perform the overall color / tonality corrections;
2. Clean up blemishes and other distractions in the image;
3. Balance symmetry in the face, i.e. make eyes parallel, brows equal in weight;
4. Do any reshaping of the face, nose, ears, body;
5. Perfect the skin;
6. Enhance eyes, lips, hair with additional lashes, shape, color;
7. Color correct selective areas as needed;
8. Work on lighting (sometimes there is none), overall focus, and sharpness;
9. One final sharpen, then
10.... get another opinion.

Hope this is helpful.
Tommy O
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-15-2008, 09:02 AM

Red face Re: Photo workflow help...

Workflow all depends on your clients' needs (and your style, habits and abilities). However, there are general rules I follow (the details of which can also vary greatly as you see in the other posts):

1. Be conscious of the original image. This is someone else's handiwork. Be thoughtful. In the very least, examine it briefly. In the most, invoke a prayer.
2. Check the physical file: Channels, dimensions/resolution, color profile. This gives you a better perspective of what can actually be done with the photo relative to the clients desire.
3. Clean it up. If it's a horrible exposure, then do a contrast fix first.
4. Color correct.
5. Hard retouching (makeup, manipulation, etc)
6. Sharpen (only if client requests it or you know it really needs it--again, according to the clients needs). When sharpening, use one of the many Luminosity-based techniques to eliminate color casts in halos.
7. Double-check your work.
8. Prepare the files for proofing or finals.
9. Triple-check your work.
10. Deliver it.
11. Follow up to make sure everyone is happy.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help