Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

is there any hope (Colour Cast)

Closed Thread
Old 05-25-2008, 01:03 AM
Re: is there any hope

This is my try. I did a final color adjustment in the LAB color space to steep the colors (reduced effect to about a 50%) opacity and a hi pass sharpening.

And going back and looking at the posted picture, maybe a little too bright.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PromPic.jpg (187.1 KB, 52 views)
Old 05-28-2008, 11:09 AM

Here is my try. I did this with a couple of level adjustements.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2919_R.jpg (182.1 KB, 51 views)
Old 05-31-2008, 02:03 PM

Hey Gang!

Remember me?

Haven't had a chance to play with Photoshop for several MONTHS now, and having some free time today thought it would be nice to try my hand at this one.

Here's what I did:

Duplicated the image and changed it to CMYK, gonna use the Cyan channel to adjust the lighting.

Back to original RGB, created a blank layer set to Softlight.

Used Apply Image to copy the Cyan channel from the CMYK copy to the blank layer in the RGB image. This lightened the subjects without affecting the background.

Used Levels on this layer and simply pulled the Midtone slider a bit to the left to increase the effect. No longer need the CMYK version, closed it without saving.

Created a Curves Adjustment Layer to reduce the color cast in the suit. Used Blend If to limit the adjustment so it only affected the suit.

The couple's skin looked a little flat after the move with the Cyan Channel, so I did Stamp Visible to create a new composite layer at the top. Used Apply Image to copy the Green channel in darken mode to this layer, then set the layer to Luminosity, this added some shape back to the skin.

Did Stamp Visible again. Desaturated it, then used the Fade command set to Color. Then set the layer itself to Luminosity. This creates a luminosity based layer in which one may do various edits (sharpen, shadow/highlight, reduce noise, etc...) which will behave similar to working on the L Channel in LAB. In other words, it will allow one to adjust brightness levels without touching color.

Ran Shadow/Highlight on this layer to bring some shape back into the suit.

Did the same Luminosity layer move again (Stamp Visible, Desaturate, Fade to Color, Set layer to Luminosity. I have an action for this because I use it quite often) and sharpened things up a bit. Used Blend If to reduce the lightening halos of the sharpening.

And there you have it!

Very attractive couple.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2919_G23.jpg (97.0 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by Graphics23; 05-31-2008 at 10:54 PM.
Old 05-31-2008, 03:10 PM

Welcome back, Michael, and nice job. Thought we'd lost you. Thanks for the new tricks.
Old 05-31-2008, 06:33 PM

I used shadow/ highlight took all of 2 min.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2919[1].jpg (89.0 KB, 39 views)
Old 06-01-2008, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Gary Richardson View Post
Didn't find much too wrong with the colour, so I just adjusted the lighting.

Duplicated image.
Desaturated new layer, then inverted it. Set blend mode to Soft Light. Adjusted layer opacity for effect.

Hi Gary,

The steps you describe above are almost exactly what the Shadow/Highlight command does.

One thing you may want to try is using Gaussian Blur on the inverted layer. This is essentially what the Radius setting in S/H is for. Start with about a 30px blur and notice how it brings back a lot of the shape that gets lost when the lights and darks become so even. Then adjust the blur to taste with an eye towards keeping halos to a minimum and focus where you want it.

Another idea to consider is that there are several sources for starting with this technique other than duplicating the image and desaturating. You could also consider using a channel which exhibits contrast changes in the areas you are most interested in changing. Sometimes you'll find a given channel will focus things better than a simple gray rendering of the image. As an example, in my version I noticed that the Cyan channel isolated the subjects from the background quite nicely, which not only served to lighten the couple but also kept the background from dominating the image.

Oh, and lest I forget my manners...

Old 06-28-2008, 08:15 PM

Equalize faded at 50% in screen mode in photoshop 6.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2919e2.jpg (66.9 KB, 19 views)
Old 06-29-2008, 08:45 PM

Since you mentioned that all of your images look bad, they're probably similar in their problem due to a camera setting.
Hence, you may also want to review the support you received and pick one that has a short and understandable remedy (one or two steps). Use this to create an action. (Just read the PS help file) Once you've created the action, you can apply it to all the images in a folder at one time. (Of course, copy the originals to a new folder first)

This will save you hours and get them all pretty close to what you need.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:44 AM

Open it up with Shadow/Highlight. Try to get some of the detail back with the Highlight slider.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:10 AM

Once again, if there is a way to do it in PS, it can be down at least 10 different ways!

Hope you have learned that to really fix the problem next time, just add a bit of fill light to the exposure when you make it and you will not have the dreaded "raccoon eyes". Also as an added bonus you will get a bit of sparkle in the eyes so they will not appear as dead as these are.
Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help