Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Skin problems in 100+yr old pic

Old 08-08-2001, 11:14 AM
Skin problems in 100+yr old pic

By Sharon Brunson on Friday, April 06, 2001 - 07:06 pm:

Hi, (hope I didn't post twice). Thanks for the forum Doug. I have a photo I posted here
This is a small picture that looks pretty good until you put in on the computer to enlarge it. Then you can see the patchy looking skin on the boy on the right. Looks like he is getting a mud mask facial. I am having trouble with this since it covers most of his face. The picture I posted is unretouched. Any ideas on clearing up his skin? Thanks, Sharon

By Doug on Friday, April 06, 2001 - 09:13 pm:

It's hard to tell with all the pixelization (I hope you're working on a higher rez original).

Here's a pretty elaborate procedure that might help (assuming you're using Photoshop):

1. Use gaussian blur at a high enough setting so it looks like you've ruined the image
2. Take a snapshot
3. Undo the blur
4. Use the history brush set to the snapshot. Use a small, soft brush, set to 'darken'
5. Lightly paint over the mudmask areas

If you judge the spots are actually too dark, set to 'lighten'. You should play with different degrees of blurring, and try other filters besides gaussian blur (perhaps 'dust and scratches' or 'median'). Remember, it doesn't matter that you're making the image unrecognizable, since you're undoing it anyway.

Clear as mud(mask)?

By Sharon Brunson on Friday, April 06, 2001 - 10:05 pm:

Thanks Doug, that is an entirely different approach than what I have tried. I'll work on it. I do have a higher res original but I am never sure how big a file to post. Good luck on your forum.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help