RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Were Photos In New Yorker Altered? Need guidance

Old 06-24-2008, 09:33 PM

Were Photos In New Yorker Altered? Need guidance

You may have read the New Yorker article about the retoucher of models, Pascal Dangin.

My question concerns the photos the New Yorker included in the piece, to show his skill. They can be seen here:

http://models.com/feed/?p=359

The idea is the bottom photo is the original, the top is retouched.

Here's the thing: it appears to me that it is the top that is the original, and the bottom the retouched version-- in other words, it looks like Dangin made the model LESS perfect.

Note the carry of the arm, the position of the hand, finger length; how the light in the bottom "original" seems to hit her arm and butt from top right and a little out of the page, yet the face is dark.

It may be some retouching was done in both photos.

I would not put this past Dangin, if it's true. But I'm hoping I can get some people more expert than me to weigh in.

Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2008, 10:56 PM

Re: Were Photos In New Yorker Altered? Need guidan

Pretty sure the article is right. Looks like a really anorexic model to me. Way to skinny and boney. Looks like he pretty well rebuilt her fron the ground up. The only part that bothers me is it looks as though he may have worked from a second image in rebuilding the face.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2008, 11:14 PM

Huh!? This has me a little curious. Is it possible your browser has reversed the photos. I don't know if that's something that could possibly happen or not. I the bottom photo (as compared to the top) She look bony and awkward with dimples on the butt check that's on the floor. Deep fold in her skin in the torso area. Her hip bone is sticking out, she has a little saddle bag bump just below her but. Her face and hair is dark. She has no breast to speak of. Underneath her left thigh is not smooth as it does not appear she has much muscle tone. Her hand looks like it is dead weight. She has an indentation just below the ribs on her right side.
On the top one all of that has been fixed plus given a brown tone.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2008, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfly1 View Post
Pretty sure the article is right. Looks like a really anorexic model to me. Way to skinny and boney. Looks like he pretty well rebuilt her fron the ground up. The only part that bothers me is it looks as though he may have worked from a second image in rebuilding the face.
Probably the previous or next frame from the shoot. But whats wrong with that?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2008, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Spears View Post
Probably the previous or next frame from the shoot. But whats wrong with that?
No, nothing at all except maybe in the context of the article it could be considered a little deceptive. Doesn't take a lot of skill to cut and paste a head.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help