RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

How to start

Old 06-30-2008, 08:17 PM

How to start

I want to fix this photo, it's been faded and discolored by the sun but I'm not sure how to go about it. Can anybody point me in the right direction?
Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baby.jpg (91.5 KB, 114 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-30-2008, 09:43 PM
Patron

Re: How to start

See if this tutorial might help get you started:
"Getting the Ring Out"
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-30-2008, 09:49 PM

This qualifies as a restoration, although there really isn't any physical damage. So, you can skip all the "work on tonality first stuff" and get right to the color correction. The more difficult part will be smoothing out the difference along the edge of the ellipse. But, that is not impossible either.

You may start with a practice run on the portion inside the ellipse. In preparation for setting some reference points, create a Posturize adjustment layer. Move the slider to where all the white is almost gone - use the Color Samper Tool to select a white pixel in that small area on her dress. Readjust the slider to where all the black is almost gone - use the Color Sampler Tool to select a black pixel in that small area under her leg.
(oops - edit - then turn off that layer!)

Use the elliptical lasso and stay well within the sunlight exposed area. Then create an adjustment layer, either levels or curves (I'd say curves). In that dialog you can leave the curve adjustment alone, but will need to set all three of the black, gray and white points to get the colors moving in the right direction. For the black point, click on your black marker, for the white - on your white marker, and for gray click on a part of the sidewalk to her right (be selective as the exact pixel makes a difference). Retry a different pixel for the gray until you're happy.

This will get the colors close. But, you'll need to adjust them more in a Hue/Sat layer as well as another Curves layer.

Repeat for the outer section and then work with opacities to blend the areas. If you struggle, then you can always turn it into an elliptical image, or purposely vignette the outer area.

Good luck and I'm sure others will have equally effective ideas. Just select your favorite !

Last edited by TommyO; 07-01-2008 at 06:46 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-30-2008, 09:49 PM

Susan. I started over on this image 4 times. I tried everything I know from channel mixing, to a hs layer set to color blend and with the monochrome box checked.
My best advice is to use the green channel and hand color from there. This image just has so much working against it. Even if you ignore the dark outer edge (BTW it looks as though at some point the picture was removed and replaced into the frame differently so you have to ovals there) and just work on the inside, there is color shift across the whole image, correct the face and the lips go purple, there is a faded line that shoots across the top at the babies head, and the background is more faded on the right than on the left.
Now watch, somone will come along with an amazing retouch that looks like it was shot yestarday and only took 5 minutes, that's why I love this forum.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2008, 01:16 AM

I gave it a try. Long from perfect but hopefully headed in the right direction. Started with cures adjustment much like Tommy suggest. Used mask 1 for each outside and inside. Gave the mask a blur to simulate the image oval. Then targeted the odd colors with several hue/saturation readjusting the hue slider to a better color. However after I did that the babys skin was very flat so i added some hand coloring & burn & dodge. Also did some clone & heal around the oval circle to blend. And did some of the same on the lake
Attached Images
File Type: jpg babby.jpg (96.6 KB, 91 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2008, 03:42 AM

Thank you for your great advice. I'll try the tutorial first and hopefully I'll be able to do it.
Thanks again.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2008, 07:33 PM

Susan, I gave it another try. I used different hs layers for each color. I used the black and white conversion tool on its own layer set to color blend in order to try and fix the tones of the colors. I hand colored the lake and trees. The result is marginal.
JD, good job with yours, I didn't even try to do the oval part. You matched it really well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baby.jpg (99.1 KB, 51 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-03-2008, 06:50 PM

I tried the tutorial but although the image is better it's way too green now. So I'll move on to the other suggestions.
Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2008, 03:20 AM

Hi Susan and everybody!

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan
I tried the tutorial but although the image is better it's way too green now.
... It would be if you used the exact values shown in the Tut... Alas, even if the problem is similar, and even the colour cast is similar (not this case, though), each photo seems to have a 'life' of its own, that's why what works perfectly for one, can be totally wrong for another.

I've worked on your picture and I'll post the explanation as soon as I've finished it...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_baby1b.jpg (198.1 KB, 94 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2008, 03:23 AM

Thank you Flora, I didn't use the exact values but played around with different ones, but I think this photo is starting to get to me. I'll look forward to seeing what you did and hopefully I can follow your directions. Thank you very much.

I've been working on this for hours and I'm happy with some areas but unhappy with others. So what I have done is mask a lot of different areas and put them on their own layers so that I can adjust them individually. Is this the right way to go? I'm getting to the stage where I'm going to have to replace some of the colors is the color replacement brush the best way to do this or is there a better way? Also should I convert the areas to be recolored to black and white before recoloring?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help