Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Complex selection and blown out sky

Old 07-28-2008, 02:41 PM
Re: Complex selection and blown out sky

Can you explain further? Sorry for the questions. I'm a total graphics beginner. I just got to play with Photoshop CS3 Extended and I don't understand what you did. I come to Photoshop from using the GIMP(more intuitive interface, IMHO).
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2008, 03:08 PM

Timmy, watch my video tutorial on Fixing a blown out sky. Just click on the "Tutorials" link in my signature and go to my home page. You'll find a link there. There are two videos. One deals with masking the sky (not the one we discussed here) or just "Fixing Sky".

Or search the Tutorial thread 'cause it's there too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2008, 03:20 PM

I masked the sky in a similar manner as Daviskw. I will list my steps below, but it is an amalgum of Dr. Brown's masking techniques, Katrin Eismann's masking techniques and a dash of my own.

1. Selected the blue channel and made a copy. It has the most contrast.
2. Went to Image>Apply image and used the blue channel in multiply mode to increase the contrast.
3. Selected Curves Cmd/Control +M and pulled in the black point and the white point and pulled the curve down a little to darken the mid tones
4. Then I selected a soft white and black brush set to over lay and began painting the blue layer white in the sky at 10-40%. Same too for the trees. I painted with a soft black brush from 10-40% to darken the trees. When I was satisfied, I selected the mask. Cmd/Cntrl+Click and the mask was selected.
5 I then went to my background copy layer and applied the mask to that layer
6. I made a new layer below that and filled with a shade of blue: 51/130/237. The sky is a vivid blue. Too blue.
7. I then added another layer below the blue layer and filled with white. I added a mask and used a black to transparent gradient on the mask for the sky. The sky should be a darker blue at the top and lighten at the horizon.
8. I added another blank layer between the blue and white layers and used some cloud brushes I have and put in some clouds.

Now all this may be confusing to you. I suggest you find Russell Brown's website. He has a good tutorial on masking. Also Katrin Eismann has written an entire book on masking. Masking & Compositing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_9609 copy.jpg (80.6 KB, 22 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2008, 04:04 PM

The only thing I would add to the above explanation is if as in your first example you have leaves or limbs that are masked but light in color... then group a layer to the masked layer and set its layer mode to something like multiply. Then paint the limbs with a sampled dark color and paint the leaves with a sampled color. Because you grouped this layer only the masked areas will be colored. Then adjust opacity as needed.

Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2008, 04:32 PM

Thanks Butch, I did do something like that. Often the leaves have a halo around them no matter how good the mask is. What I do is I make an empty layer, clip it to the last layer with the mask, set the blending mode to Multiply, select a soft brush, use the eye dropper to sample a leaf or branch color and paint with a 10-40% brush. It darkens the leaves and removes the halo. Careful, you can over do it. I have used Darken mode, but like Multiply better. Your grouping of the layer is like my clipping mask.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help