RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

merging two photos

Old 05-01-2002, 08:41 PM

Can I add one more comment, because these type of manipulations are common. In my opinion, the two girls heads are a tad larger than the mother's. They stand out too much. The mother's head is in the foreground and should be larger.
You can verify by mearsuring from the chin to the hairline. Also, maybe add a drop shadow and use the other arm in the original
as the 'digital arm', darkening the mother's left side somewhat to match the darkness of the other side and to hide the arm.
You could try a Lighting Effect with a face mask to help balance the lighting out. Maybe color balance and lighten the mother's
face to match the two girls. The compostion works well even if the arm is a bit 'stretched'. The picture should make some
family member happy.

L8R,
VidKid
Attached Images
File Type: jpg amy7-vk.jpg (69.8 KB, 47 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2002, 12:22 AM

Great work Sanda! If you're still working on it, the thing that hit me as not quite right is that the lighting on the girl's faces seems more "blue" than the lighting on the mother's face. I didn't notice the arm as much, but Mike's observation explains why my gaze was drawn to that area. That being said, I think you've done an awesome job of extracting out the pieces you needed and putting them back together!
Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2002, 01:36 AM

A couple things you have to consider when faking a picture are colour/contrast and grain/texture. You need to match both to make it look good.
To match the colour and contrast I find the easiest way is to use channels and curves. Take your two pictures and put them side by side, then, on the layer of one of the pictures, go into each channel, open curves, and tug on the curves here and there until the red channel of the layer you're working on more or less matches the red channel of the destination pic, if you will. This will take some experimentation, but it's not a science. Whatever looks close is good. Continue to do that with each channel. When you're done, go to the composite channel and see how it looks. In all likelihood there will be a slight colour caste. This can be fixed with hue/saturation or colour balance. Selective colour is also a powerful tool here, to work on the individual colours in the whites, neutrals and blacks.
The better the quality of pictures you're trying to match up, the easier it will be to get something really good-looking. Some pictures are so small, or the lighting is too disparate that no matter what you do it will never look very convincing.
To match the grain, it's a pretty good idea to remove much of the grain in the pic and then add your own grain.
This faking business is a lot harder than it looks tho, and it takes years of practice. The attached picture isn't that good and it's oversharpened. The picture of the older woman wasn't very good and had to improved, and at the same time had to be free-transformed, which complicates things, while the picture of the two younger women, ok to begin with, had to be dumbed down a touch.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2002, 01:41 AM

Picture - me dummy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pictwocopy.jpg (64.5 KB, 50 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2002, 02:37 AM

I still like Sanda's first pic coz Mom and the older girl are leaning towards each other making a nice triangle, which groups them. The younger girl is then brought back into the grouping by hugging the sister. The fact that she isn't hugging Mom doesn't bug me as it could be a special occasion for the older girl.

Like Mike, I feel there's something wrong with the arm in Sanda's new pic. I don't feel it's the arm that's too long, but rather the shoulder is impossibly wide.

Mig's grouping is more of what I'd go for (although I haven't seen all of it, coz my link to RetouchPro keeps breaking - I hope this gets thru ).
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2002, 12:34 AM

This is what I came up with. Tried to adjust the face sizes to match a little better and the color of each picture also. Cropped out most cause for some reason the mother's suit went white when I started messing with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newpictwo.jpg (14.6 KB, 39 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2002, 06:41 AM

I forgot to show you what I ended up with for this photo. The client loved it, what do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg amye.jpg (36.1 KB, 53 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2002, 07:23 AM

Way to Go!

Well done! I can see why the client was very happy...and that's what counts more than anything.

BTW: No CD from WACOM yet!
But that gives us something to look forward to!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2002, 07:28 AM

Wonderful. Especially the way you've gotten the girls' hands to link with Mom.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2002, 10:04 AM

GREAT JOB Sandra!! Thanks for sharing it with us!
Jeanie
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help