RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

merging two photos

Old 04-30-2002, 10:13 PM

merging two photos

I've been asked to combine two photos and make it look as if the three people were in the original photo.
I'm having trouble with one area in particular and would like your opinions as to what I should do with it. The main trouble area is maked. Please let me know what you think I should do.
I've posted both the photos and what I have done so far.
Thanks
Sandra

Opps
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2002, 10:14 PM

try again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picthree.jpg (16.8 KB, 116 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2002, 10:16 PM

the originals
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pictwo.jpg (50.8 KB, 104 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2002, 10:25 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Sandra,

Couldn't you use the transform option to straighten out the inserted woman? Then maybe you could place her in a slightly different position so she doesn't appear to have two arms. You might even try moving her to the other side. Just my first thoughts.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2002, 10:50 PM

Another possibility. This was a real quick fix, but I'm sure you know what to do with it.

Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sandra.jpg (11.3 KB, 92 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2002, 12:03 AM

Hmmmm - I like what you've done, but I do understand what you're not happy with. I like repositioning like Ed did, but I would try to take it a step further. To be honest, I don't know if this is even possible - haven't tried it myself and I'm too tired right now. Perhaps in the morning...

Anyway, what I would try would be to reposition the arm of the girl in the back to wrap around the woman's neck. If you put the woman on the left, then somehow you need to drop the girl's shoulder and reposition the arm so that it goes behind the woman's neck with the forearm down in front. This may not be possible to do and still have the photo look natural though. Just seems like if it really were a group shot that the girl in the back would be hugging both people - not just one.

Sorry to offer a suggestion which I haven't had a chance to try yet. Good luck!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2002, 12:45 AM

Source for body parts :)

I like Jeanie's suggestion. Her comment about having an arm around each person seems like a natural thing to do.

But I cringed a little when I read it. Why? I've personally found it difficult to reposition and/or transform arms, hands, crossed legs, feet, etc. so they look realistic when I get done. When I do it, the result usually looks like a Dr. Frankenstein hack.

As an alternative to slicing, dicing and/or using the Transform (mangle?) function to manipulate limbs and the like, another Katrin gem is to "get replacement body parts" from other sources.

Pages from (remember these?) old Sears or Penny's catalogs are a goldmine of natural looking (and well lighted) images of hands, arms, feet, shoes, arms-around-shoulders, replacement clothes (if subject is standing), etc. Scan 'em, scale, touch 'em up, color correct and blend. Presto: New shoes (or arms or whatever).

Though not quite as gender nor age diverse as a Sears catalog, I've borrowed a few hands and bare feet from Victoria's Secret catalogs too... while shopping for my wife's birthday, of course! With the plethora of junkmail catalogs in circulation these days, there should be no shortage of ammunition.

I'm looking forward to seeing your final result, Sandra. Good luck.

DannyR
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2002, 12:58 AM
Janitor

Here's a really (really!) bad composite job, but a quick and dirty composition composite (or comp-comp ). Just an idea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg draft.jpg (37.9 KB, 87 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2002, 01:03 AM

Well, I've worked on it for a bit and I have to say, I like what you've done. I chose the woman on the right and saved the selection as Alpha chanel 1 and then inverted the selection and copy and pasted the two girls in. After that, it's a matter of sizing and color. I wasn't very creative with the background. As you can see, it is very similar to yours.

You're doing all the right things

Lisa
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new pic copy.jpg (66.4 KB, 81 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2002, 06:58 AM

Ooops! Wrong one!

Ed
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help