RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Skin retouching question.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:16 AM

Skin retouching question.

I would like to know the general consensus when softening or correcting imperfections on the skin using photoshop. I have always used gaussian blur/dust and scratches as the tools for softening skins. It seems most on this forum do not like using gaussian blur because it makes images look plastic.
Can you guys direct me to the link that would show how to do this without using gaussian blur. What tools or methods would you use instead. I'm not posting an image but just want to get a general idea or example of skin softening without the blur tool.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2008, 10:50 AM

Re: Skin retouching question.

Hope this helps you

http://www.photochopz.com/forum/memb...n-texture.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2008, 01:18 PM

xxxmen,

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxmen View Post
I would like to know the general consensus when softening or correcting imperfections on the skin using photoshop. I have always used gaussian blur/dust and scratches as the tools for softening skins. It seems most on this forum do not like using gaussian blur because it makes images look plastic.
Well, I'm no expert on the field but I think that, even if they might not be the first choice, Gaussian Blur, Median Filter and Surface Blur are being used in skin smoothing techniques... It's a matter of how .... well, more of how much perhaps...
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxmen View Post
Can you guys direct me to the link that would show how to do this without using gaussian blur. What tools or methods would you use instead. I'm not posting an image but just want to get a general idea or example of skin softening without the blur tool.
Beside the link posted by ashphotoart (thanks for sharing!!! ) here are some others:

The most used technique, though, seems to be the:

Dodge and Burn Technique

Hope this helps...

Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2008, 02:05 PM

Thank you ashphotoart and Flora. These are great link. I'm amazed at the talent on this site.
I've been colour correcting using basic techniques for awhile now, but with the introduction of these techniques it has broaden my skills. Question for Flora,
Do you moderate this forum on a FT basis? Or is this a PT gig? I'm amazed how quickly
yourself or Tony post retouched images and solutions to our everyday questions!
Keep up the good work! Much appreciated.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2008, 02:25 PM

xxxmen,

thank you for answering and glad to be of help!!
Sorry for being a bit dense here .... but what are "FT basis or PT gig" ??
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2008, 02:37 PM

Flora,

He is asking if you moderate the forum on a full-time (FT) or a part-time (PT) basis.

k
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2008, 08:16 AM

Sorry Flora,

FT-full time

PT-part time

Maybe the jargon is different in Italy? I know they have great food though!
Carpaccio is a great dish! I just wonder how you folks post retouches so quickly when most retouches are usually time consuming. I'm amazed at the workthat is posted on this site. I've just recently started posting here and my skilss have noticeable improved. I'm looking to eventually retouch via softproofing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2008, 08:22 AM

ktg222, xxxmen,

thank you for your answers !!!

Now I know I'm really thick!!!!

Not only the Italian jargon is exactly the same ... but we also use the English words for it .... Fact is, I've never seen the abbreviations for this before....
I just want to think that I was tired when I read the post .... any alternative to that could only be worse....

None of the Mods here are on a full time basis ... it's more a matter of helping out 'when possible' ... I'm a professional Translator, sooo, I spend most of my time with my nose stuck to the monitor of my computer and connected to the Internet ... I do take 'breathers' though .. That's when I 'come' to RP and see what I can do to help ... opposed to my 'workfree' moments ... when I actually live here .... Just kidding....

The speed in answering/offering solutions depends very much on the complexity of the problem to solve ...

P.S.
I love carpaccio too!!! (Have you ever tried it with white truffles sliced on top? ...)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2008, 08:46 AM

Thanks Flora,

You guys do a great job! I'm learning so much. The links provided with most request are invaluable. I have never had carpaccio with white truffles. Sounds really good.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help