RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Awful Orange won't go away

Old 08-19-2008, 12:16 AM

Red face Awful Orange won't go away

I did a picture of my grandson that I love EXCEPT for the orange spots I didn't notice until after I thought I was done. I guess that is what happens when I am trying to work with pix though I am entirely too sleepy.

I tried using the spot repair brush, masking, cloning, etc. but just can't get it right. I really want to be able to give this to my eldest daughter for her b'day but not with it messed up.

Will someone please assist me in correcting this problem? I don't mind doing the work, just desperately need some advice.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...rterPoster.jpg

If you want to see the original picture for comparison (maybe you can see what caused the problem) it is here:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...terCompare.jpg

And before you mention it, yes ... I know there is a little um ... "liquid" coming from his nose. I left it on purpose. LOL Well, it was cold outside and he had been playing hard.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2008, 01:19 AM
Patron

Re: Awful Orange won't go away

Moonchild64, welcome to RetouchPRO! Nice to have you aboard. Hope you enjoy your visits here. Looking forward to seeing some more of your work

Just a point for your information...
The Janitor (Doug Nelson) prefers not linking to images on other servers, since those links can break and that makes the forum thread essentially useless for future readers.

~Click for Info on how to size and attach images to your posts~

~How to attach Files/Images to your Posts or Threads here~

After you post your less than 100K version, you could link to a site that is hosting a larger version.(like imagevenue.com or pixentral.com or photobucket.com)

New blank layer set to color
soft brush set to hue
pick a correct color near the orange... paint
If stroke is to strong use Shft+Ctrl+F to fade
mistakes can be erased
Blur or heal the sharp lines left over
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CarterPosterA.jpg (111.6 KB, 74 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2008, 01:53 AM

Thank you so much for the warm welcome, the info and the help. Btw, you did a great job on the picture!

I am going to TRY and sleep a few hours and I will give it another try. I just don't want to have to totally redo the pic because I would prob never get the shading between his eyes making that expression again.

Oh ... I tried to edit my original post so I could attach the picture but I couldn't. So, I am adding it now.

CarterPosterSmall.jpg

Last edited by moonchild64; 08-19-2008 at 03:41 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2008, 05:36 PM

Very cool poster by the way ! I'm sure they will like it.

It would be nice to see your workflow to pinpoint where the corrections could be made. But, without it, it would appear to be a Hue/Sat adj. layer where you did not have clipping visible (Ctrl-Y). Once clipped, PS must determine what to do with those pixels, usually making them a different color. You should be able to go to that adj. layer and paint on the mask using a soft low opacity black brush to reduce the effect on those parts. Start with a very low opacity (like 5%) and go slow. If your workflow is complex, you may have to do this on several layer masks.

I also like OlBaldy's method, especially if finding the offending layer is too difficult.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2008, 07:19 PM

TommyO,
Thank you so much for the compliment. It is really nice to know if I made something someone besides myself would like. Hubby doesn't care for anything "artsy" so I can't really use him much to help see if I am heading in the right direction.

Since I learn best by just trying out different things, then I have decided I am going to try to duplicate this same picture again so I can figure out what went wrong and then try your method to see if that will repair it for me.

I can see I am going to love it here thanks to more knowledgeable people being generous with their assistance.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2008, 03:40 PM

Well, I found out the discoloration happens when I add the sculpture effect to it. Unfortunately, if I adjust the sculpture enough to take away the orange ... it doesn't leave enough of the effect for me. So, I will just have to use OlBaldy's way any time this happens with this effect.

Thanks again to both of you!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2008, 05:19 PM

Is there no way to add a mask or combine the effect into a Smart Object so you can use a mask ?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2008, 09:58 AM

Tommy,
Thank you! Using a mask on a smart object works perfectly! And it was much easier than trying to match the color for painting.

In all honesty, I have never used smart object before. Because of your reply, I tried it out and now have something new I can use often. I can hardly believe how easy that was to do! Haha ... now I am going to have to try that out on many other photos I have done before. I am sure to get better results now.

I sure wish I had stumbled across this place a long time ago!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-22-2008, 12:30 AM

This is my try. Used H/S to correct the color and then blended the area with a 20% smudge. The H/S took out the face color, but having worked on a separate layer I used a mask and painted the original color back in from the original layer below.

dc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg youngchild.jpg (118.3 KB, 23 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCobb View Post
This is my try. Used H/S to correct the color and then blended the area with a 20% smudge. The H/S took out the face color, but having worked on a separate layer I used a mask and painted the original color back in from the original layer below.

dc

Thank you Now I have several options to use when the prob comes up again. I am sure one will work better on some pix and other better on other pix.

I have learned more about Photoshop in the short time I have been here than I ever learned before! Not only through my own requests for help, but by reading others and following the answers they rec'd. LOVE IT HERE!

Thanks y'all!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help