RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Help integrating A-Frame sign

Old 08-27-2008, 04:09 AM

Help integrating A-Frame sign

Hi all, i have been given a task to "create" an A-frame sign in various supermarket images, but i am having trouble making it so the sign feels part of the image. I have attached the image. If anyone can give me a pointer as to where i can improve it pls post.

note, i created the A-frame as the photos i was given of signs were so poor it made more sense..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AFrame-2.jpg (87.7 KB, 39 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2008, 05:13 AM

Re: Help integrating A-Frame sign

hi, i think i posted this in the wrong section, would it have been better under "photo composite" as the sign which is the problem..do i have to repost this, or can it be moved?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2008, 06:37 AM

ok..done some more to this..

http://img530.imageshack.us/my.php?image=aframe3ts4.jpg

..this is simply using gradient overlays..is it convincing enough? should i slightly blur the edges? or maybe make them more defined?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2008, 08:06 AM

Your second version is a bit better, but you need to:

1. Fix the jagged edges on the sign.
2. Tone down the lighting on the image that you have pasted on it. Look at the covers of the magazines in the racks. It would only look the way you have it now if it was one of those translucent signs that are lighted from behind.
3. Graduate the lighting on the signboard, brighter at the top, slightly darker at the bottom due to light falloff.
4. Shadows at the sides of the legs, shadows on the floor around the legs (in several directions as there are many light sources).
5. Shadow on the magazine rack just beside the sign.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fix-AFrame-2-800.jpg (89.3 KB, 24 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2008, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verywierd View Post
Your second version is a bit better, but you need to:

1. Fix the jagged edges on the sign.
2. Tone down the lighting on the image that you have pasted on it. Look at the covers of the magazines in the racks. It would only look the way you have it now if it was one of those translucent signs that are lighted from behind.
3. Graduate the lighting on the signboard, brighter at the top, slightly darker at the bottom due to light falloff.
4. Shadows at the sides of the legs, shadows on the floor around the legs (in several directions as there are many light sources).
5. Shadow on the magazine rack just beside the sign.
VW...thank youuu, brilliant difference..

but how did you fix the edges??
light from the top..ah yes...
shadows!!! what am improvement

..tone down the lighting?? how did you do that (not that i'm going to sit and wait, pen poised), i will apply my 'limited' knowledge of PS (i'm the 'expert' in this office, but shows how much of a newbie i am coming to RP)

thanks again VW
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2008, 11:25 AM

I'm sure the experts here will have more elegant solutions, but anyway:

1. To remove the jaggies from the edge, simply create a new blank layer, activate the pen tool, choose the line draw option (the \ icon) set width for about 8 pixels and use the eyedropper tool to get the colour of the signboard. Then draw a line along the edge. To fine tune you can shift the layer.

2. To tone down the image,
- Make a selection around the image with the polygon tool. - Create a new layer
- Use eyedropper tool on a supposedly white surface like the border of a newspaper (- this is assuming you leave the overall yellowish colour cast in place-if you have corrected the cast you may not need to do this step).
- Use the bucket tool to fill in the the selected area.
- Change the layer blending mode to Multiply and adjust layer opacity until the colour tone of the image matches the magazines in the shelves.
- Keeping the selection, create a new layer
- Use the gradient tool set to black and white, and fill in the the selected area, black at the bottom, white at the top.
- Change the layer blending mode to Multiply and lower the opacity until the image looks right.

The above both darkens the poster image and colours it to match the rest of the pictures on the magazines on the shelves, as well as giving it a light gradient, brighter at the top nearer the lighting and darker at the bottom.

A lot of words for a couple of very quick steps. I did an example from your second try.

Good luck with your A-frame forging.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aframe3ts4-crop.jpg (58.6 KB, 20 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2008, 01:17 AM

thanks for your time VW...

i'll try the things you detailed once i get into the office, but reading through them its stuff i have done following tutorials yet haven't practised enough outside of them to feel i can apply them in different situations.

considering the size the final image will be what you have done should blend the a-frame in nicely.

truely thankfully
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help