RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

zoom in

Old 08-29-2008, 09:59 AM

zoom in

i have a picture that have many people in it the whole class and i want to see the people face but when i zoom in i cant see there face i hopeing some buddy can help me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-29-2008, 10:06 AM

Re: zoom in

It all depends on the picture. Can you post it so we can have a look?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-29-2008, 10:17 AM

the size it too big i upload to imageshack

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/3515/helpzoomgc5.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-29-2008, 02:39 PM

I had a look at your picture and I'm sorry to say that there is just too little detail. You can make it a little bit sharper, but it really would not help you "zoom in" on the faces. If you can re-scan the original image at a higher resolution you might get a better picture.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2008, 01:08 AM

how do i do that?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2008, 05:29 AM

I went back and had a look at the details of your image. It looks like it was scanned at 1200 dpi. It is possible that this is the highest resolution that your scanner is capable of. In that case, there isn't much you can do, unless you can borrow the use of another scanner with a higher maximum resolution.

On the other hand, if you scanner is capable of higher actual (not interpolated or digital) resolution, look for the DPI or Resolution setting box in the scanner interface. It is likely that it shows 1200 dpi at the moment. Try increasing this number to 1800 or 2400.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2008, 04:08 AM

it is a picture long time ago i dont even know where is it now, i guess i cant do anything for this picture, thanks for all your help. i been looking in the site and those picture are great. is there a tutorial from choosing a digital camera to all another thing i need? i dont know anything about picture.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2008, 10:05 AM
Patron

Verywierd, the resolution reads 1200 ppi but the image size is only 1.2 x 0.84 inches which means at 4 x 6 (most likely original size looking at the round cornered and textured paper they uses in the late 1960's and early 1970's) the equivalent resolution is only about 250 PPI.
Myphoto, it appears that the scan was taken by a poor quality scanner or some person has processed the scan image poorly (high noise, excessive contrast, etc). You can run upsize it, run a noise filter and sharpen the image but you will not get much more detail than is already there.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2008, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday View Post
Verywierd, the resolution reads 1200 ppi but the image size is only 1.2 x 0.84 inches which means at 4 x 6 (most likely original size looking at the round cornered and textured paper they uses in the late 1960's and early 1970's) the equivalent resolution is only about 250 PPI.
Myphoto, it appears that the scan was taken by a poor quality scanner or some person has processed the scan image poorly (high noise, excessive contrast, etc). You can run upsize it, run a noise filter and sharpen the image but you will not get much more detail than is already there.
Regards, Murray
My assumption, judging from the quality of the light, the grain, the dust at the edges and the dimensions given by the file, is that the image was scanned from a transparency. A standard 35mm slide inside a frame is usually around 1.3 x 0.9 inches, so the dimensions support this supposition. Also the 1200 scan resolution matches the earlier (e.g. Epson) flatbed scanners with slide/film adaptors. If I am correct in this supposition, then re-scanning the slide with a professional level scanner would increase the available detail.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2008, 08:23 AM
Patron

Verywierd, I thought it might be a transparency at first but the pattern of noise looked more consistent with paper. If it was a transparency then the scanner most likely was not a negative/slide scannner but a flatbed with or without an adaptor.
Anyway, the result is the same - not much more recoverable without a clean scan.
Rgds, Murray
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help