RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Help with creating curving lines.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:26 AM

Re: Help with creating curving lines.

Well, I've started practising! I used a pic of a doll. I selected her head totally with the pen tool, made it into a selection, and selected the rest of her using an ordinary selection tool.

Look what has happened to her head ....the doll now has a halo!

When I looked at the path I'd made round the head it looked fine. I changed it into a selection, and added the dress. (There was no feathering on the selection.)

I inverted the selection, and blurred the background. I also altered the levels on the background to make it darker...and then she got this shiny yellow halo - obviously to do with the edge of her head. It is also black in places! Has anyone any idea what I am doing wrong please?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R.Pro-doll-1.jpg (95.2 KB, 51 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2008, 12:54 PM

When you converted the path to a selection, you may have had a setting of 1 or more set in the feathering box. This would cause the selection to be feathered. If you saved the path you can try going to the paths pallet, and ctrl click (Or Cmd click for the Mac), to re-select the path. Otherwise, try reselecting the selection, and go to the menu, and select>modify>contract, and contract the selection by 1 or two pixels. Invert again, and delete the remaing pixels on the outside of the selection. This is ususally enough to clean up the halo, but won't be noticable in the final composition. You can also try different layer modes in the layers pallet. For instance, on a dark background like this, you may be able to get rid of it by setting the layer to multiply.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2008, 09:42 PM

Canna W,
I used a channels pallet, plus levels and d/b to make a selection of the doll's head, also a layers mask to clean things up.

Ray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg doll-100k.jpg (99.9 KB, 40 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2008, 05:01 AM

Dave
-----

I'm afraid I couldn't get your method to work... Maybe because I hadn't done the initial selection on a duplication layer, but on the original layer? When I tried deleting the pixels (with the eraser) I just ended up with white.

Ray
---

Thank you for that, but my knowledge of channels isn't good enough for me to work out what you did. Nor do I know what a d/b is... Anyway, I can still do a selection of the dolls head - so it doesn't matter. You've done a grand job - how did you clean things up please? (I tried inverting the selection and cloning over the yellow bits, but the cloning really stood out.)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2008, 06:46 AM

Canna W
d/b= dodge and burn. I used the burn tool to darken the yellow around the dolls head. I used a layer mask to fine tune the selection of the dolls head. Black conceals,
white reveals.
Ray
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2008, 06:56 AM

Dave and Ray
------------

Phew, I cleaned it up! I got a mix of cloning and the healing tool to work in the end.

Thank you very much much for your suggestions... I have such a lot to learn....
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2008, 09:00 AM

Sorry about that, I assumed that you added the new image on a new layer. When you add a new image to an existing image, the work is much easier if you place your new image in a new layer above the first layer. Then you can perform additional modifications on the new layer, such as deleting unwanted pixels and the back layer will show through.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2008, 09:23 AM

Ray
----

Thank you! I know about layer masks and dodge and burn, so its making more sense now ...

Dave
-----

Thanks for explaining! Sorry I'm such an idiot...

Last edited by Canna W; 09-12-2008 at 09:25 AM. Reason: I thought my last post had failed to post. Then realised it had, so adjusted this post accordingly...
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2008, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Thanks for explaining! Sorry I'm such an idiot...
Ha, no you aren't. You are here to learn, and that is what you are doing, and what this site is for. Keep your questions coming!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2009, 02:51 PM

I am too late. You can do it with selection tools and transform wrap. Check the attached picture. If you are telling like that reply .
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...artsedited.jpg
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help