RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Help with light on hair!!!

Old 09-30-2008, 06:35 PM

Help with light on hair!!!

I was hired to do business portraits for a local company's website. The finals that will be displayed will only be about wallet size. The others that I did went perfectly, until this one. for the bluish background, I had a light on a boom up close to their ceiling (which was many 7.5 feet high). In hindsight, I should have set the BG light up on a short stand behind the subjects, but when I did this shoot, for whatever reason, I didn't... Anyhow, as I said, everyone else turned out great, but this one gentleman was a lot taller than the rest, and some of the light from the BG light spilled onto his hair, making it glow blue. Is there an easy way to get rid of the blue around his hair, aside from masking each individual strand?? I need the BG to remain, or be able to easily get back to blue...

http://mekphotography.smugmug.com/ph...38_grM89-L.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2008, 06:52 PM

Re: Help with light on hair!!!

Mike,
The blue can be fixed with some time and patience but if I could offer up some lessons learned over time for you. As usual I say I don't mean to talk down to you and don't know your skill level so I just lay the info out there plain and simple for everyone.

I don't know the relationship that you and this client maintain, how long you have worked for them or if it was the first shoot. I also do not know the demeanor of the creative director you had to work with so let me put a big yield sign here for you. They are a rare and unusual breed (a lot of them) some of them are great. If it is one of the yield sign ones they are moody, think they know all about all and are in a position that is so let's say easy to eliminate that one could be known to throw a guy under the bus to save himself. That being said I know Photoshop is wonderful but some of my best clients became even better clients with little mistakes like that. By admitting you made a mistake to who need be told it could go a great distance in impressing them that you would reshoot it so everything was just right. If you are gonna play that hand you have to do it just so. "Mam, the shots look great of everyone and I think our teamwork really paid off in creating some impressive images. I must show you though that this one shot is a bit off compared to the others because frankly I failed to compensate for his height. Would it be possible to have a half hour of this gentlemans time in the next day or two so I can reshoot this and make sure this project is perfect down to the letter?
I hate to give you that and then you lose an account but I swear, sometimes making a mistake on purpose and fixing it on your own no cost will move you deeper into their prized pool of artists.
You have to know people though, that's all. I am sure it was a very quick set up and cost wise would pay off in the end. Remember our economy with war, impending stock market losses and crazy climate is rough on photographers. Advertising is always the first thing to be cut and going a little further than the next gut may pay off big in the end.
Or you could just photoshop it
Hope this helps.
Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2008, 07:06 PM

Hi Mike!

Can't help you with what should or shouldn't have been done for the photo session since I'm no photographer.. but as Chris said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetlight View Post
......Or you could just photoshop it
Chris
... and that's what I did ....It was a very short and 'painless' procedure ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_384019338_grM89-L.jpg (198.9 KB, 100 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetlight View Post
Mike,
The blue can be fixed with some time and patience but if I could offer up some lessons learned over time for you. As usual I say I don't mean to talk down to you and don't know your skill level so I just lay the info out there plain and simple for everyone.

I don't know the relationship that you and this client maintain, how long you have worked for them or if it was the first shoot. I also do not know the demeanor of the creative director you had to work with so let me put a big yield sign here for you. They are a rare and unusual breed (a lot of them) some of them are great. If it is one of the yield sign ones they are moody, think they know all about all and are in a position that is so let's say easy to eliminate that one could be known to throw a guy under the bus to save himself. That being said I know Photoshop is wonderful but some of my best clients became even better clients with little mistakes like that. By admitting you made a mistake to who need be told it could go a great distance in impressing them that you would reshoot it so everything was just right. If you are gonna play that hand you have to do it just so. "Mam, the shots look great of everyone and I think our teamwork really paid off in creating some impressive images. I must show you though that this one shot is a bit off compared to the others because frankly I failed to compensate for his height. Would it be possible to have a half hour of this gentlemans time in the next day or two so I can reshoot this and make sure this project is perfect down to the letter?
I hate to give you that and then you lose an account but I swear, sometimes making a mistake on purpose and fixing it on your own no cost will move you deeper into their prized pool of artists.
You have to know people though, that's all. I am sure it was a very quick set up and cost wise would pay off in the end. Remember our economy with war, impending stock market losses and crazy climate is rough on photographers. Advertising is always the first thing to be cut and going a little further than the next gut may pay off big in the end.
Or you could just photoshop it
Hope this helps.
Chris
ok...

Instead of the unnecessary fatherly advice, you could have just said I have to mask it.

I wasn't asking for advice on business practices, I was asking for advice on this image.

Obviously I made a mistake while I was there, as I indicated in the original post, and instead of looking like I'm technically incompetent, and having to pack up all of my gear, drag it back over to the company, set it all up again, retake the shot, pack up all of my gear again and, drag it back home, if there's a fix in photoshop that will help this otherwise perfectly fine image, that would save me a little while for masking off the hairs, I would like to know. Now, what's going to take less time??
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2008, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora View Post
Hi Mike!

Can't help you with what should or shouldn't have been done for the photo session since I'm no photographer.. but as Chris said:

... and that's what I did ....It was a very short and 'painless' procedure ...

Thanks Flora! Now, if you don't mind me asking.... How'd ya do it??
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2008, 07:23 PM

Hi again...

What I did is the following:

1) duplicated the Red Channel and used Levels on the duplicate to increase the contrast

2) Inverted the duplicate and painted black nearly everything ...just leave the 'hair' white attachment 1

3) Ctrl+Click on the inverted duplicate to select the hair

4) Created a Hue/Saturation Adjustment Layer and desaturated the 'blues' only...

That's all!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mask.jpg (62.9 KB, 27 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2008, 07:25 PM

Thanks Flora! I'll give that a shot.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2008, 07:28 PM

Mike, I read Sweetlights post and I can't see why you would attack him for what seems to me to be very good AND on point advice.

I'm attaching my photoshop solution for your specific problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (90.4 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 384019338_grM89-L.jpg (10.1 KB, 35 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2008, 07:29 PM

Mike,
Sorry if I offended you.
Sometimes I forget how little time I have been in this business and try to speak when not spoken to. Sometimes I forget that I am just learning this light striking a senor or silver thing. So my apologies.
Next time I will try to put a paragraph at the beginning explaining that I have no knowledge of the question askers experience and may say something like, I don't mean to talk down to you. That's what I should have done. It's all I can do to wind the film in the right direction in my Brownie and figure out the light meter with this little needle. I should learn to spectate and learn from the more experienced people. Sorry.
Flora, excellent job on removing the blue hue.
I'll be here in the shadows learning from the more experienced folks if anyone needs me

c
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2008, 07:30 PM

You are very welcome Mike!!!

...Just yell if you need more help!!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help