RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

plasticy look

Old 10-27-2008, 06:23 PM

plasticy look

Hi Iam another long time lurker, but now I have a question I hope someone can help me with.After I clean up the scar's,bruises...he's a line backer..,and acne I get the hated plastic skin ,Ideas or help please
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _FRE1388 (Small).jpg (49.7 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg _FRE1506 fincopy (Medium).jpg (61.2 KB, 134 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2008, 07:18 PM

Re: plasticy look

First, it is a tad underexposed. Use a Curves adjustment layer and bring up the exposure a bit. Also, there is a magenta cast, especially the skin. You can use a Color Balance adj. layer or the Cannnel Mixer adj. layer or Selective Color adj. layer to reduce this. Also look at reducing the saturation in the skin. As for the skin it self, I would try the Healing Brush. Select some good skin and reduce the problem areas. Acne can be a difficult problem. The young man undoubtedly knows how he looks. Making it too perfect can sometimes be just as harmful. Have you discussed retouching with him. What would he want? There are some good skin smoothing techniques that do use a blurring effect and will allow you to retain some skin texture. Lee Varis in his book Skin has some good techniques. Katrin Eismann in her Restoration and Retouching books has some good procedures. Look at the DeGrunge tutorial here in RP.

Your image is a bit small for a good try. I'll post my effort, but a larger image would be helpful, especially to see what the skin condition is.

k
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _FRE1388-(Small)-f.jpg (95.6 KB, 93 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2008, 07:32 PM

Rick,
Ktg222 has given you good advise. I would also suggest not going so far with the skin work. Like K said, we know how we look and it is not always how you may want us to look. And with a teen, it's similar to a model.... too much just looks artificial.

Also, recheck:
- your range of tones on the face... they seem a bit too similar;
- teeth and eye whitening... maybe a bit too much;
- lack of shadows on the face... other areas have shadows, making the perspective off.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2008, 07:57 PM

The reason youve got a PLASTICY look is because you've either used the healing brush, or even worse you've been cloning with a soft edged brush or something - not the way to do it
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2008, 09:03 PM

K,thank you for tryin it's a lot closer than I have done.I'll check out the skin book
Tommy O, I allways ask what they want and answer was clean it all. thank you for your rechecks Iam goin use them.
Mark,could not find a spot to use with cloning
thanks for input guys
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-28-2008, 01:22 AM

This was just a quick try. I started with a color adjustment using auto color and then the neutralize in Match Color. Removed the mole (?) under the left eye. Also, used H/S to remove some redness I got just below the nose.

dc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg young_man.jpg (166.3 KB, 68 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-28-2008, 11:31 AM

I used levels to fix the color, did a selection and a very slight blur on the acne and just a touch of the makeover tool.
Nan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg teen fix.jpg (96.3 KB, 53 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2008, 03:20 PM

Hi,

I came up with a method of removing spots, moles, acne from photos that really works and I'd like to share it with you.

I make a copy of the background layer. I desaturate the layer, so it becomes a b&w luminosity image. Then I make a copy of that layer. I use gaussian blur on the top layer - enough that all the grunge has disappeared. Next I change the blending mode of the blurred layer to "Difference". Difference works in such a way that whatever is the same on the blurred layer and the unblurred layer beneath it becomes black while everything else (grunge and edges that are sharp on the regular layer and blurred on the "Blur" layer) is shown in various shades of gray to white. I use Ctrl+Alt+Shift+E to duplicate this "grunge mask" as a layer that is in "Normal" blending mode. I paint over the edges that are still visible on the grunge mask layer with black. I use levels to increase contrast of the grunge layer and merge levels down.

Next I go to Edit/Define Pattern and turn the mask layer into a pattern. I turn off the grunge mask layer and switch the blurred layer's mode back to "Normal". I add a layer mask to the blurred layer. I use Edit/Fill to fill the layer mask with the grunge mask and then without all the cloning and healing I get a smooth image!

I use over the b&w smoothed out layer a copy of the background layer in "Color" mode to add back color to the image and that's it!

Hopefully this will give you a good tool to manage acne even if dermatologists can't.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mask.jpg (55.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg _FRE1388%20%28Small%29 copy.jpg (50.9 KB, 64 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2008, 05:08 PM

Post Re: plasticy look

I want to thank everyone for their kindness and help,this was a tough one.
DCOBB,I like it looks good thank you.
Nan,nice and easy I love it
alexanddrab, thank you for sharein, I printed it out and am goin follow it.
Uall are just so "cool"
thanks rick
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2008, 01:51 AM

alexandrab:

Interesting idea. It seems like good alternative to creating masks for really blotchy faces or nasty scattered highlights.

I used the "difference" idea to create a masking layer and it did work, although I applied it manually using a mask and brush.

Thanks for the tip.

I only spent a few minutes on the image, so it's not as smooth as it should be as it was more of a "proof of concept".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _FRE1388-(Small)-02j.jpg (90.7 KB, 34 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help