RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

How to remove redness on cheeks

Old 11-10-2008, 07:47 AM

Red face How to remove redness on cheeks

I am new to the site, not sure if this is the place to post this, plz let me know if I'm wrong or right, ok?
I have a photo of my son and he has a skin problem on his cheeks,,,every pic it shows up very red, can or will anyone tell me how to remove it using Adobephoto 7.0, I can move around adobe pretty good now but do need some guidance.
Thanks for any help
Barbee
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2008, 08:11 AM

Re: How to remove redness on cheeks

Hello Barbee and welcome to RetouchPro !

First, you may want to clarify which program you have. It sounds like it may be Elements; I don't think there is a "Adobephoto". That will help others give more exact instructions. Also, if you wish to, attach a thumbnail using the "manage attachments" button. If you don't want to post the entire image, just a small area of it helps us determine the underlying color issue.

There are several ways to remove redness. Here are a couple of things you could try.
  1. Add an adjustment layer for Hue or Saturation. You could then reduce the amount of red, or try adding it's opposite, cyan. Usually that layer comes with a mask; if not add one. You should be able to paint over the areas not needing that adjustment with a soft, low opacity black brush.
  2. Often times a quick fix it to add an adjustment layer using a photo filter. You can find the one that reduces the red, then adjust its strength/opacity to get the tonality correct. Again, paint away other areas using a mask like above.

There are many other techniques as well. But try these and then get back to us.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2008, 08:31 AM

Hello again, I am just now figuring out how to move around the site, but finally attached a small file. Sorry about the description of software, it is Adobe photoshop 7.0, also have Adobe Elements 2.0, but like the 7.0.
As you can see the redness is unforgivng, and he hates to have his pic taken for that reason, so if I can figure out how to remove, maybe he would be more willing.
Thank you, Barbee
Attached Images
File Type: jpg retouchpro.example.DSC01415 copy.jpg (82.8 KB, 93 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2008, 08:57 AM

I'm back again.
After looking at the color values, these areas actually differ because they lack green and blue. Their red values are close to those of other skin areas. So, the goal would be to add green and blue in very low amounts.

One way to do this is fairly easy. Use a Channel Mixer layer, then invert the mask to make it all black, then paint back with white on the mask where needed.

Here are the values I ended up with.
Red Channel: leave alone;
Green Channel: Red:0, Green:100%, Blue:+12%;
Blue Channel: Red:0, Green:-7%, Blue: 101%.

Again, this was real quick and certainly could be refined. I then inverted the mask (ctrl-I) and used a soft low opacity (10%) white brush and just blended the effect in.
Here is the result. I don't think a man would want a perfect face, just tone down the redness. Hope this is helpful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg retouchpro.example.DSC01415 copy2.jpg (189.9 KB, 68 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2008, 09:05 AM

barbee,

This looks like a bit of rosacea to me. Katrin Eismann has a real neat fix for this in her Restoration & Retouching Vol. 3 book. P. 346. I tried it on your image and it cleaned it up very well.

k
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2008, 09:06 AM

Thanks so much Tommy, I will certainly try your instructions...may take me awhile, then will post my corrected one. This is a wonderful site, so glad I found it.
Thanks, Barbee
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2008, 09:28 AM

Hello K
I do have the second edition of Katrin Eismann but I don't think that is one you are talking about. Anyway you could post the instruction, (maybe too much) I would understand, have thought about buying that volume. She is very good with the instruction. Anyway maybe you could post your ending results that you did. Yes it is rosacea, he has med's for it...
thanks barbee
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2008, 09:30 AM

Oh, and I forgot to mention... if you are going to adjust multiple images, you can save your channel mixer settings as a preset (in the same dialog box). This will make it much easier to pull up on other images, then just slightly tweak the settings. (You can do this with most any adjustment layer.) Other images should vary by similar amounts, the actual values needing changing only slightly due to varying lighting conditions and camera white balance.

While recording an action may be more than you want to tackle, you can always rename one image (with adjustments) to something like "redness removal.psd". This saves it so you can recall it later. You can then open that file along with a new image, then select multiple adjustment layers, drag and drop them into a new image that requires them. Then all you have to do is tweak values and adjust masks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2008, 09:42 AM

- I made a selection using color range to create a mask.
- I used the mask in a curve layer with values:
input: RGB:133 R:189 G:122 B:113
output: RGB:135 R:197 G:142 B:118
- I applied HSL layer to a curve layer w/values
H:0, S:-7, L:0,
- Some stubborn spots, I healed w/DB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg retouchpro.example.DSC01415_chill.jpg (156.2 KB, 65 views)

Last edited by chillin; 11-10-2008 at 12:55 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2008, 07:41 PM

My try, copied and pasted the green layer and set to luminosity. Created a new layer and painted over the red areas, then added a curves layer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg retouchpro_example_DSC01415%20copy copy.jpg (80.6 KB, 35 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help