Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Old & Faded

Old 11-26-2008, 12:02 AM
Old & Faded

Hi Guys
I thought you may be able to help me with this old photo from my auntie and i'd love to restore it for her for christmas. I have tryed mucking around in layers but keep confusing myself as to how to use the layers correctly...HELP!
I would really appriecate any assistance you may be able to give me with this Photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BETTY'S-PHOTOS-3.5-WEB-PHOTO.jpg (99.3 KB, 69 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2008, 01:05 AM
Re: Old & Faded

Annie, welcome to RetouchPRO! Nice to have you aboard and hope you enjoy your time here. Look around, try different things... Most of all feel at home.

Could you re-scan the photos you are working on? (this post and your other post)
Scan them in color with all automatic stuff turned off and at least 300DPI.

To enable us to help you, it would be nice to know what software you are using to restore these photos?

The following links may help you submit a much larger sample using the "Save For Web" feature in Photoshop if that is your software!

Attaching Files or Images to Threads or Posts

Size and quality for Attached Images!!

After you post your less than 100K version here, you could also post a link to the site that is hosting a larger version Use one of your own or any of these other host options: (5Meg max free) or (3Meg max, free) or (2Meg max, free) or (1 Meg max free,... 5 Meg PRO)-- .

This tutorial "Restoring an old photograph" by cameraken has become the starting point for most of my projects

Used in conjunction with this tutorial "Enhancing Details In Unevenly Faded Pictures" by Flora
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2008, 01:24 AM

As this is a gift, I think doing it yourself will be better than doing it for you.

I'd start with exposure adjustment. Click where the arrow (picture 1 below) is and choose exposure. Start out with the settings I have and then adjust as necessary.

Exposure: Brightens and darkens image
Offset: Removes haze or adds haze
Gamma: Darkens blacks

The white box is what you call a mask. Click on it and paint with white to show effect and black to hide the effect. Paint with a low opacity brush to slowly show the effect.

I have three layers because there is a fade from right to left in the picture and certain parts needed more haze reduction then others. So use the mask to darken only parts at a time. You might want to start with a fully back mask (hide all), then paint white slowly to show. If you make a mistake, just paint back over it with black.

Once picture is even, click where the arrow is and make a levels adjustment layer. Move the black and white sliders right to the edge of where they start in the histagram. Adjust the grey slider from left to right to to add more or less contrast. (refer to picture 2)

If needed, click where the arrow is again and make a brightness/ contrast layer and adjust if necessary. Use the mask if needed.

Once you have the right brightness/darkness overall, you can use heal, clone, or patch tool to remove the blemishes. I would use the patch for big areas and heal for the dots.

You should be looking pritty good by now. If you need any more help then post where your at, and we can help you further.

Hope this helps,

Last edited by igot2pman; 11-26-2008 at 07:58 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2008, 06:40 PM

Hi Keven
Thank you So much for your help. I will try this out today and let you know how I get on with it as well as upload the finished picture, for your approval )))
Thanks heaps agian mate for taking the time on this.
Very Kind Reguards
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help