RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Restoring me Granny and her Siblings

Old 05-17-2002, 09:24 PM

Restoring me Granny and her Siblings

Hi folks , I've had a few trys at repairing this photo of my Granny {The Lady standing circa 1915 UK} and two of her siblings and can never get a very good result as the skin is very blotchy. I've managed to rebuild the pieces missing with the clone brush and also the Healing brush but would love to get some advice from you very clever people in this group. I'll post the original on this posting and my feeble attempt on the following one ,Thanks in anticipation . Doug ,this is the one I was talking about ,obviousely eh?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg granny-hutch-and-sibs-for-c.jpg (93.9 KB, 72 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2002, 09:31 PM

just like the fool I can be I posted the wrong attacthment and I tried to edit it and am not sure if the editing worked so I am going to repost the correct one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg granny-hutch-and-sibs-for-c.jpg (93.9 KB, 64 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2002, 09:37 PM

Here is my attempt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg granny-hutchy-and-sibs-for-.jpg (93.7 KB, 69 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2002, 10:11 PM

Not a bad job of restoration Peter. The only thing I would recommend is to add more contrast to the image by running a levels adjustment on it. Good job overall.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2002, 10:26 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Hi Peter,

One more suggestion. When you get the main part of the image pretty close to where you want it, it will look better if you add some noise to the background to better match the rest of the image. Nice effort so far.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2002, 11:56 PM

You've done a terriffic job on this so far, Peter!

I agree with DJ about the levels, but when you increase the contrast you'll find that the image is spotty because of surface deterioration & cracking.

Here's how I would normally deal with that type of image.

I used the image you had already worked on and did the following:

1. Made level adjustment layer and increased contrast

2. Made new Normal layer

3. With paintbrush set between 5-15, started painting face. I picked up surrounding colors OFTEN and blended the colors by painting lightly and switching opacity as necessary.

4. Make sure you stay aware of light and shadow areas and keep them at the same densities they should be.

5. I added noise and did a slight Gaussian blur on the layer and then flattened image

This method is fairly tedious and time consuming, but I haven't found a better one for dealing with the bad surfaces such as are on your image.

Here's a sample of what it looks like:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg granny-hutchy-and-sibs-for-.jpg (40.4 KB, 68 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2002, 12:27 AM

Thanks for your replies so far folks and Jakalena ,I will print off what you have suggested as it seems a brilliant way to go and your example looks great
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2002, 01:48 PM

3. With paintbrush set between 5-15, started painting face. I picked up surrounding colors OFTEN and blended the colors by painting lightly and switching opacity as necessary.Jak,

I must be a little dense today, but I don't quite follow what you're saying (and I really want to because I have a similar problem that I'm dealing with now.)

When you say the paintbrush is "set between 5-15", are you referring to the brush size or the opacity?

When you say you're painting the face, you're actually painting on the new "normal layer", right?

When you say you "picked up the surrounding colors often" - you mean with the eyedropper on the original layer?

Lastly, I have the hardest time "blending" colors - can you expand on that more? (I realize this might be hard without being able to give a demo - but this has been driving me crazy for a long time now. I've wished for a tool that I could run over a "line" caused by two different shades that would create a nice gradient from one shade to the other.)

Thanks, Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2002, 02:15 PM

I must be a little dense today, but I don't quite follow what you're saying (and I really want to because I have a similar problem that I'm dealing with now.)

No, you're not dense, I was writing this in the wee morning hours and probably didn't do the best job explaining it.

When you say the paintbrush is "set between 5-15", are you referring to the brush size or the opacity?

Opacity. And I vary brush sizes as well depending on the area I'm painting. Use the softest edge possible on the brush, and use the largest brush that is appropriate to the area you're working with but still leaves movement room for your brush strokes. Smaller brushes will show edges more readily. With large brushes I can overlap the edges slightly for better blending.

When you say you're painting the face, you're actually painting on the new "normal layer", right?

Yes, exactly. And I forgot to mention that I flattened the adjustment layer before starting to paint. It doesn't really matter so much, except I like to keep the # of layers I'm working with low so I don't get too confused about what's where.

When you say you "picked up the surrounding colors often" - you mean with the eyedropper on the original layer?

Yes, I just click on the Alt key the same way I do when I'm cloning and trying to keep from laying down tracks. I only make a couple of small, short strokes before picking up color again. I keep the color area that I pick from extremely tight to the area I want to paint.

Lastly, I have the hardest time "blending" colors - can you expand on that more? (I realize this might be hard without being able to give a demo - but this has been driving me crazy for a long time now. I've wished for a tool that I could run over a "line" caused by two different shades that would create a nice gradient from one shade to the other.)

The blending comes from the short strokes laid down VERY lightly, and re-choosing the colors VERY often. Also, the appropriate brush size helps. I use the biggest one possible for the area that I'm working in so that the edges overlap slightly.

As for the demo - perhaps this could be animated.... Hmmmm.... I don't think I'm up to THAT task yet... LOL

I hope this helps you out. If there's anything else that's not clear, please just ask. I do this so often that I just don't think that much about what I'm doing, so explaining it is a little hard.

The REAL drawback on this technique is that it is EXTREMELY time consuming and labor intensive. Whenever I run across someone with a print like this, I give them the option of leaving the surface mottled, smoothing just the skin, or doing the whole image. I charge quite a lot extra if they decide to smooth in this manner. I wish I could find an easier way that works as well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2002, 02:23 PM

Thanks, Jak! This makes a lot more sense to me. I don't have time to try it out right now, but you can bet I will soon!! And I will definitely ask more questions if I run into trouble.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help