RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Sky repair and distant tree leaves...

Old 01-17-2009, 05:33 PM
Patron

Re: Sky repair and distant tree leaves...

gladesman, welcome to RetouchPRO , I hope you will make many new friends and enjoy your visits here!

I sort of feel like I am preaching to the choir.. but here goes anyway!

As the Photographer and Retoucher it is most likely that you are the only person in the world who will take a microscope to the photo and inspect every little imperfection.. most people will never notice that things are "falling apart".. our eyes seem to put things back together to make them look "normal" just as they do when viewing halftone pictures.

Sometimes as professionals we go a bit to far trying to reach the perfect image and forget that there is a time when we just have to stop and realize there will always be that little something else to improve on.

On your next shoot, try bracketing focus versus selective focus.

On this particular picture there is enough room to crop, leaving a hint of sky to preserve the ambiance.

Good luck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _DSC3835-f213-crop1.jpg (198.6 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2009, 05:44 PM

Like that crop OB. Nice!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2009, 06:49 PM

Thanks to everyone for the welcome.

OB, Your points on letting some things go are well taken, although as you know, self scrutiny through the lens can be addicting. I realize that visual communication is the reason we shoot rather then making that perfect image, but sometimes....

And you cropped the image well, although I try to compose in camera and thereby constrain wide digital proportions. On this particular image I didn't feel there was enough room to crop and retain the proportions, so I left the offending sky in place.

I'll look into focus bracketing. Have never played with it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
I'm in south Florida too. Sebring area.

Selecting all the small sky areas between leaves and branches with the magic wand would be impossible. Using the marquee tool allows Photoshop to make the selection automatically. When you set the Selective Color to "White" PS looks for all the highlight areas within the marquee only. It's a real time saver. Sometimes you might have a building roof line that gets included in the marquee so you can either delete that portion of the marquee selection with something like the polygon tool (holding down the ALT key) or you can paint it out on the mask after coloring the sky.

I don't understand exactly what branches and leaves you want to eliminate from your photo so didn't correct for that.
Swampy,
Although you've pointed out that the marquee tool excellent as a selection method when coloring the sky behind trees, I can't find a way to use it when selecting for other jobs like say, D&B.
Unless I'm missing something in the use of the marquee tool, then it can't always be the best way to select around trees??
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2009, 04:35 PM

Gladesman, the Marquee tool works on the sky tutorial because you are then going to do a "sub selection" within the marquee of white in the Selective Color dialog box. It would not be the tool to use for making other selections.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2009, 04:48 PM

What do you think is the best selection tool then for tree leaves in the background? Wouldn't it have to be the Magic Wand?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2009, 05:55 PM

Your best bet is to select the sky which probably has more even tones. The marquee technique also works on Select>Color Range. So draw a marquee of the sky down to the horizon, do the Color Range selecting the sky then mask or delete the sky. I would suggest masking the sky so if you have roof lines or other elements that got caught up in the selection, you can paint those back in on your mask.

Or take a look at my tutorial on Masking the Sky. That may help.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2009, 07:14 PM

Thanks, Swampy.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help