RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Lighting or retouch?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 03-02-2009, 12:09 PM
Craig Willes Craig Willes is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 26
Re: Lighting or retouch?

I totally agree, photographing your own children is the hardest subject to photograph, once they have been doing it a while, they fight against you.

When real young they do just fine at first, but in time they will turn on you. (talking about as far as being good subjects to work with).
Reply With Quote top
  #12  
Old 03-02-2009, 01:34 PM
Tareq Tareq is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: United Arab Emirates
Posts: 513
Re: Lighting or retouch?

hmmmmmmm
I have that expressive or emotion shots of my daughters, but to be honest the lighting was bad, there is a discussion i read somewhere talking about to have a boring model [kids, young,...] with great lighting or to have killer expression with bad lighting.

I am trying to balance between both, but the problem is i can't get all to work great, and when i post them i always get something like: oh, the shots are a bit under exposed, there is shadow under her neck, the shoulder is look awkward, the pose could be better, the hair lack details, missing fill light, the teeth need to be processed, her skin is great and no need for any retouching, why crop from bottom, crop more above her head,.....], it is like there is always something wrong or missing in my daughters shots that need correcting or to be done again.
Reply With Quote top
  #13  
Old 03-02-2009, 02:01 PM
MrTee MrTee is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 10
Re: Lighting or retouch?

If you are looking for perfection my friend it could take the rest of your life. Lighting is of course important, whatever your subject. Expression and the right pose are also vital elements in a good portrait. Getting them all right when you are still learning is not easy. Practice, practice, practice. Until you are comfortable and proficient with the technical parts you can not concentrate on the sitter, and that is where you need to be.

When one first learns to drive it is confusing. You have to remember the steering, clutch, breaks, gears, indicators... all this whilst concentrating on what is in front of you. Only when the technical part becomes second nature and you do it without thinking, does the actual driving become easier. Patience is a virtue

My Granddaughter. one light source, speedlight. Nothing special, taken a few days ago. Get the expression and "reasonable" lighting and you will crack it. Don't over complicate things.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_5589 copy2.jpg (66.0 KB, 14 views)
Reply With Quote top
  #14  
Old 03-02-2009, 02:34 PM
0lBaldy's Avatar
0lBaldy 0lBaldy is offline
Senior Member
Patron
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,580
Re: Lighting or retouch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tareq View Post
hmmmmmm it is like there is always something wrong or missing in my daughters shots that need correcting or to be done again.
Just to expand on what MrTee said..

Perfection is very elusive (almost non-existant) and sometimes seems to only show up in the form of a Happy (calculated) Accident!

500 people will see 500 different things... it will NEVER be right except in your own eyes.. When it is the way YOU want it and it looks good to YOU... Thats all that matters... except if it is for a customer.. then it is their eyes that will decide what is right! OR if you are working under a supervisor or editor then they have the last say!

Everyone makes judgments on their own feelings, wants, desires and are subject to their own experiences and trials... which are NOT the same as another persons... what may be beautiful in one persons opinion may be hideous in anothers.

Start with a picture in your mind.. then try to emulate it in camera.. some folks take up to 300 pictures of the same thing just to get the one or two shots that come close to their concept...

Have Patience and keep practicing as you have been doing, and keep trying new things with an open mind.... eventually it will all come together and just click for you..

You have a good future in front of you.. hang in there during these confusing times.. remember all these comments are only suggestions for you to accept or not.. You can reject anything anyone says if you do not agree! After all they are YOUR Photos and you do not have to justify to anyone other than yourself.
Reply With Quote top
  #15  
Old 03-02-2009, 02:52 PM
MrTee MrTee is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 10
Re: Lighting or retouch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0lBaldy View Post
You have a good future in front of you.. hang in there during these confusing times.. remember all these comments are only suggestions for you to accept or not.. You can reject anything anyone says if you do not agree! After all they are YOUR Photos and you do not have to justify to anyone other than yourself.
Absolutely......
Reply With Quote top
  #16  
Old 03-02-2009, 05:06 PM
Tareq Tareq is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: United Arab Emirates
Posts: 513
Re: Lighting or retouch?

Thanks!

True, in fact i like most of my shots i did so far even many there giving me comments or critiques on them, and i agree, some also told me that i should enjoy it and be satisfies it, not just going to please others, and as long those photos are mine and i print them to look at them then i should feel disappointed much if people telling me that i need to rework on them, but who cares if i am happy with them.

Maybe my problem is that i want to have good photos overall in lighting and retouching, because i am a photographer and for sure i have to show some of my works on the net, if i never show my works then i will never come here and i will never look back on people comments or reviews, but i come here or on the net to share my works and sure people will comment about what is right and what is wrong, so in case if i will sow my works shouldn't i look at or care about comments?

The Basics or rules of lighting are almost the same, but all do their own lighting for their need or their style, so what styles i should look for then? something my own view and eye or something that are standard and known worldwide [classic, low key, Rembrandt,....]?

What i have got from other in learning lighting making me like to be staying in the studio 24 hours to try all types and positions of lighting to understand it and control it, i will not say i don't want to learn lighting, but spending long time everyday on lighting to be sure that i understand and know what i do will take me years and years here, and this will affect my normal life, so what i should do? I have all the tools and books and internet that helping me to do the best in photography, but still i am far from even someone who is advanced or semi-professional, making me to feel upset that to hear someone within 2-4 years become a professional and i still doing things without knowing where i am going to or which level i am now.

Thank you all for your comments and i will keep doing photography although i can't see what is my future in photography.
Reply With Quote top
  #17  
Old 03-02-2009, 05:11 PM
Craig Willes Craig Willes is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 26
Re: Lighting or retouch?

You might want to know, as it have been said using many many words, you can never please all photographers, someone will find fault with most images, it is a rare image that does not get picked apart.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Tareq View Post
hmmmmmmm
I have that expressive or emotion shots of my daughters, but to be honest the lighting was bad, there is a discussion i read somewhere talking about to have a boring model [kids, young,...] with great lighting or to have killer expression with bad lighting.

I am trying to balance between both, but the problem is i can't get all to work great, and when i post them i always get something like: oh, the shots are a bit under exposed, there is shadow under her neck, the shoulder is look awkward, the pose could be better, the hair lack details, missing fill light, the teeth need to be processed, her skin is great and no need for any retouching, why crop from bottom, crop more above her head,.....], it is like there is always something wrong or missing in my daughters shots that need correcting or to be done again.
Reply With Quote top
  #18  
Old 03-02-2009, 05:14 PM
Tareq Tareq is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: United Arab Emirates
Posts: 513
Re: Lighting or retouch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Willes View Post
You might want to know, as it have been said using many many words, you can never please all photographers, someone will find fault with most images, it is a rare image that does not get picked apart.
ok, understood.

to be honest, portraits is not my cup of tea, but because in my country it is difficult to go out [due to traffic, hot weather, humidity most of the time and lazy of work] we try to do studio stuff.
Reply With Quote top
  #19  
Old 03-02-2009, 06:26 PM
igot2pman's Avatar
igot2pman igot2pman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX USA
Posts: 633
Re: Lighting or retouch?

People go pro because they are not afraid to try things and they have a team to help them accomplish and catch the defects for you. Almost every video and pro I have seen has a team for set up, cleaning, review, holding reflectors, and makeup. We armatures have to do the work of 5. It’s hard to remember all the rules more or less see the wrinkles in the shirt that you wish was not there. All the D&B that takes us 14 hours could easily be solved by 30-60min of a very good makeup artist. Perfect lighting can be attained by helpers moving lights and holding reflectors.

Yes, one person can do all these things; but in all reality, having to set up and dial in can take a while by yourself. Then if you want to change your look, more time to move things and dial in again.

With time you will grow and become better.

Good luck
-Keven
Reply With Quote top
  #20  
Old 03-02-2009, 11:16 PM
Craig Willes Craig Willes is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 26
Re: Lighting or retouch?

Actually I was very "anal" when it came to all the front end camera work, even back in the day when I was very busy.

There was a 20 year period that I did all the capture work, and every aspect of the set up, then handed over the film, and never saw a single image until it was displayed or used in an ad or a program or what ever the final product was.

Going digital in 2003 at a point that I was semi-retired already I started to handle all aspects from start to finish other then letting my wife still run the office and take care of pretty much all client aspects of selling and doing orders.

We cut even further back and I do 99% and she just photographs a few weddings a year, and I do 25 to 30 plus about that many portrait sessions.

But you are right most do have people do much for them and just operate the camera, that do fashion and advertising type work.

But the portrait and wedding photographers generally take on all or close to all aspects of the work by themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igot2pman View Post
People go pro because they are not afraid to try things and they have a team to help them accomplish and catch the defects for you. Almost every video and pro I have seen has a team for set up, cleaning, review, holding reflectors, and makeup. We armatures have to do the work of 5. It’s hard to remember all the rules more or less see the wrinkles in the shirt that you wish was not there. All the D&B that takes us 14 hours could easily be solved by 30-60min of a very good makeup artist. Perfect lighting can be attained by helpers moving lights and holding reflectors.

Yes, one person can do all these things; but in all reality, having to set up and dial in can take a while by yourself. Then if you want to change your look, more time to move things and dial in again.

With time you will grow and become better.

Good luck
-Keven
Reply With Quote top
Reply

  RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skin retouch skydog Non-RetouchPRO Resources 4 09-21-2010 08:39 PM
dynamic lighting and sharpening timmers Photo Retouching 2 02-19-2009 06:09 AM
Retouch Artists Needed tunnel312 Classifieds 11 01-31-2009 05:18 PM
My first retouch, need feedback bcharles Critiques 5 10-28-2008 07:13 PM
My first retouch - what can i improve? Naster Photo Retouching 11 06-02-2008 12:52 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2016 Doug Nelson. All Rights Reserved