RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Lighting or retouch?

Old 02-27-2009, 04:50 PM

Lighting or retouch?

Hi there again,

Here are another shots of my daughter, this time i was using my beauty dish and my new beloved cameras, H3DII-39, so what do you think is missing, better lighting or better retouch?

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/4404/a0000819.jpg

http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/4611/a0000836.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2009, 05:18 PM

Re: Lighting or retouch?

Here are the original almost:

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/2889/a00008191.jpg

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/5499/a00008361.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2009, 06:21 PM
Patron

Lighting.. good
Photography... good
Retouch/corrections.. heavy handed and over done.. blown highlights and blocked shadows..
Do not make wholesale/blanket corrections... often you change things that do not need change, ... making un-necessary harm to the good portions of the picture..
The more experience you get with editing the more you will be making smaller very precise changes to your already nice pictures
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2009, 09:58 PM

Tareq,
I would agree with OlBaldy. I would also say better lighting also. Lighting is a bit dark on the back side, a few too many shadows also. A dark gray background also makes for difficulty when you want to mask and retouch dark hair. Use a light background.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2009, 11:42 PM

Posing and expression.

The lighting is good enough, both the ratio and the direction, but underside of the arm is distracting in how the arms flow, and the amount of attention that it is getting when that is not the main point of interest for a portrait.

The eyes, the lips, the expression, that is what capturing a great portrait is all about.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2009, 07:59 AM

I see, Thank you very much :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2009, 10:51 AM

I would say the lighting isn't too bad, however must agree with the previous comment regarding the underside of the arm, but that is a problem with the pose more than anything. The retouch is a little over the top with the second image but Olbaldy has given good advice.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2009, 04:10 AM

I think i can't do good enough with children, some on another forums told me that i must have either a pro or normal model that can follow my order or buy a mannequin, both can't be afforded, so i think i should forget about learning lighting until i have pro and/or obedient people to work on, after i can pass lighting then retouching is not a big issue.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tareq View Post
I think i can't do good enough with children, some on another forums told me that i must have either a pro or normal model that can follow my order or buy a mannequin, both can't be afforded, so i think i should forget about learning lighting until i have pro and/or obedient people to work on, after i can pass lighting then retouching is not a big issue.

I have been doing portraits and weddings now since the 60s and I have never once hired a model, or owned a mannequin or bust.

The kids do move a good bit, and expecting them to hold a pose is not realistic, so set the lighting for the area you wish to work in, that will give you the best light for the bulk of the images you will capture.

But remember, timing to catch the expression, and using good interaction to illicit the expression with good timing to catch it.

It's all about expression with portraits, it trumps lighting 10 to 1.

And if you get a arm that is way out of place, then it's a tosser, don't worry about trying to make what should be a tosser into a gold mine it seldom works.

Good photoshop skills is something to have and develop, but there are just shots that are best not worth the effort, when you learn what to toss and what to keep, you will capture a better percentage of keepers as a result also.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2009, 12:04 PM

Like Craig, I have been doing portraits and weddings for a long time. I have three children, all of whom have modeled for me at one time or another and if I was honest they were harder than any of my paying clients. However, children are not the easiest of subjects and you can't treat them the same as adults in that they won't always do what you ask.

Craig's point about timing and interaction is probably the best advice you could have. It is interaction rather than "orders" that will win you the best result. Child portraits are better when you catch them just at the right moment rather than trying to put them into any sort of pose. Get the expression and interest right and you have a winner.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help