Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Is there any hope for this photo?

Old 03-27-2009, 10:35 PM
Re: Is there any hope for this photo?

I may suggest that you invest in Katrin Eismann's books for "How to Do's. She's an international teacher and she's in the Photoshop Hall of Fame. The books are Restoration and Retouching, Masking and Composting. They helped me a whole lot, and these books are like having you personal tutor by your side, believe me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2009, 02:17 AM

Ok, first I always convert to 16 bit before I start working, just my preference. Do that with
“Image” “Mode” “16 Bit”.
Now you want to create a new layer so we are not working on the original. Drag the Background layer and drop it on the “Create new layer” icon in the layers pallet.
Now change the blend mode of that layer to “multiply” and create a mask for the layer by holding down the “alt” or “option” key on the mac and clicking the “add layer mask icon”.
Ok, now you created a mask that is masking out the effect of the blend mode over the entire image. Grab your paint brush (35 pixel brush works well), make your forground color white and make sure your brush hardness is set to soft, 0%. Zoom to 200% and start painting on the top half of the dark light line a little above the line, you should see the image get darker as you paint. Try to use the soft edge of your brush to blend so that the line between light and dark is not so sharp. If you go to far into the dark side with your brush just switch to a black brush and paint it back from the other side. Once you are happy with your line hold down the alt key again and click on the mask in the layers pallet, this will show you just the mask you are making and paint everything over your line you just made white (switch to a larger harder brush to make this faster. Alt click the mask icon again to bring the image back in view. Drag the layer you just created down to the “create new layer icon”.
Now you should have 2 identical layers both with the same mask, both set to multiply blend mode and you should see that the top and bottom of your image are much closer to matching.
Drag the top layer down to the “create new layer” icon one more time. Click on the layer mask to make it active and the go “image, adjustments, invert”, this should turn the mask upside down-with black on top. Change the blend mode to “linear dodge” slide the opacity of the layer to around 15%. You will want to go into your masks and make adjustments until the line between dark and light in the image goes away (or at least is much less visible).
When you are satisfied press “Shift, control, alt, E” to stamp everything you’ve done so far to it’s own layer. Now you just need to fix the color difference. You can create a new layer and use whatever method you like to fix the color. I used a method Katrin teaches and copied the color cast from from the top, made a new layer with color blend mode and then inverted the layer to make the opposite color of the cast. You can use the same masks from previous layers by holding down the alt key and dragging them.

Anyway, the key is the masking and if you invest the time you will be able to make the ling go away altogather and then match to color (hue) from the top and bottom of the image. At the end I made a curves adjustment and then bumped the saturation. Last thing, (and I didn’t’ do this) is maybe use a reduce noise filter on the lower portion of the image, all depends on how far you want to take it.

BTW, I much prefer deke mcclelland to katrin, personal preference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (99.1 KB, 65 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2009, 03:22 AM

I had a little try at this one ....hope you don't mind
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG007r copy.jpg (88.0 KB, 84 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2009, 11:18 AM

That is good beefy

I decided to try B&W...over processed though

Attached Images
File Type: jpg angel.jpg (94.1 KB, 96 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-29-2009, 04:07 PM

Okay, here's my retouch, tell me what you think
Attached Images
File Type: jpg retouchedIMG007.jpg (75.2 KB, 88 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2009, 06:37 AM

I would have to say that Daviskw is the best option for this photograph. There is not much detail you can regain from the underexposed area - so the black & white is probably the best option. You can always start of with the b&w and then add color if you really need to have a color pic.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2009, 08:30 AM

I'm real curious - and this is slightly "off piste" for subject, but related - from a camera standpoint, what happened here? At first I thought it was a flash-synch issue when I saw the thumbnail which will result in that kind of banding (somewhat), but when looking at the bigger image, I see the part of the image at the bottom would be black if it were a synch problem, and this clearly has color. So I assume this is a weird exposure thing, but that quick gradient in the middle is real suspicious.

Or maybe somebody used a gradient filter upside down by mistake!!! wow.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2009, 11:31 AM

I really don't know what happened since I didn't take the picture. It was really irritating too since I was doing a wedding slideshowshow for this couple, as well as trying to video tape it and this photographer not only took bad pictures but blocked the video recorder quite a bit of the time
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help