RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Green cast and shadows in glasses

Old 03-30-2009, 04:01 PM

Newbie Green cast and shadows in glasses

Hello everyone !

I'm new here and rather new to Photoshop. First of all I must say I admire all of you helping other people... I read a lot of posts and tutorials from this forum and frankly speaking it is my basic source of PS knowledge.
But, here is my problem. It is part of the photo of my wife. The rest of the image is OK. But light coming from the window behind me taking this photo caused this green cast and shadows in her glasses. I tried to remove them by selecting these parts and playing with blending modes and hue/saturation or color balance, but results are far from satisfactory. So my request is to guide me, point same concrete advice how to handle this problem.
BTW, it's my first post here, so I hope I did it OK.
And one more thing her eyes are brown.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00007_eyes.jpg (66.7 KB, 69 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2009, 10:51 PM

Re: Green cast and shadows in glasses

Datoo,
Welcome to RP, and glad you started posting.

The problem could be two-fold. The refractions in the glasses have caused a color cast as well as a loss of image detail. If you get the color corrected, you will still have to fill in some of the missing details.

Take a look at the color channels and you will notice the Red channel contains enough detail to warrant pulling it into one of the other channels. The Green channel has lost much of the eye detail, so we should replace it.

Start by duplicating the background, then use Select > Color Range to grab the green areas. Increase the fuziness quit a bit to get it all. You can always mask out what you don't want later. Once the selection is shown, use the Lasso and the Alt key to subtract the areas on the left and right you don't want, leaving the eyes and the far side of her left lense in the selection.

Use that selection (which will not look like a lot now) to add a Channel Mixer adj. layer. Don't make adjustments yet. Look at the mask by Alt-clicking the mask thumbnail. It should reveal much more than the selection did. (Marching ants never reveal everything they have selected.)

Double-click the Channel Mixer thumbnail to reopen the CM dialog. In the Channel Mixer, pick Green as your target and add in Red, decrease Blue... all to your liking. The color won't look right; you're mainly bringing in detail from one channel to another (the easy way). You can adjust the color later using the same mask, so that adjustments only effect the green areas.

Add other adj. layers to tweak the color. Once satisfied, you will need to do a little cloning for both color and texture. You may also have to do a small bit of airbrushing where there just isn't detail to steal from one eye to the other. But, at this point it should be fairly easy and straightforward.

Best of luck and post your results !
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-31-2009, 02:20 PM

Thank you TommyO for quick reply. I'll try to do my best with channel mixer. I didn't think about channels ealier , in fact green channel is badly damaged.
Thanks again.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-31-2009, 07:57 PM

I did a quick 5 minute fix usung a selective colour adjustment layer mostly altering the cyan and green sliders.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg green eyes.jpg (71.3 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2009, 02:09 AM

Hello mepaulus !

Thank you for your post.
So, here is what I was able to achieve so far. It took me more than 5 minutes ... , but I'm still working on it. I used method pointed by TommyO. I did channel mixing on selections and also color correction on selections. I think I removed most of green cast and most of other reflections, so now I'll do some cloning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00007_eyes_try.jpg (70.1 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by Datoo; 04-01-2009 at 05:05 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2009, 04:33 AM

thats a better result Datoo , in mine there is a still a slight blue cast but as i said i just had a quick try at it.Looking at the uploads Tommy's method seems much better results.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2009, 03:45 PM

My last attempt ! I tried to do my best. I found out that trying to improve eyes too much made them looking 'plastic'. So I stopped at that stage. Any opinion will be valuable. But be gentle, I've just started my adventure with PS and retouching...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00007_eyes_5_try.jpg (69.7 KB, 20 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help