RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Need Some Help Plz Baby Owl

Old 04-04-2009, 10:40 PM

Re: Need Some Help Plz Baby Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernon View Post
Here is my attempt...

Attachment 68906

My recipe:
  • Duped original twice
  • Switched to Channels and selected color with highest contrast (blue channel)
  • duplicated this channel
    • Enhanced selection by applying levels to the duped channel,
    • Applied contrast again to duped level to enhance black/white differences
    • with brush painted in white within the owl so selection would be a clean shape of the owl
  • created selection of the owl
  • Switched to layers
    Inverted selection (so the background is selected, not the owl)
  • With selection still active, and while on 2nd copy, applied an exposure adjustment layer to darken the background somewhat.
  • Applied a Lens Blur filter to blur the background somewhat and allow the owl to "pop"
I got all the way to the with brush painted in white within the owl! So were you in overlay mode or normal and what opacity were you using??? I don't know much about making a mask as Im sure you have figured out and want to learn.

Mike K
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2009, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svencool View Post
Im having a problem isolating the fine hair around the owl I guess its because the background color is dark and not one solid color. I have tired a few different approaches and still no success. Seems like everything I read has a clear cut color in the back ground and I guess this isn't just the case here. Not sure what to do now.

I'm trying to preserve all the details in the owl including all the fine hairs around him or her. any ideas???

Mike K
Yep ... background and owl have very similar colours that's why the great Photoshopcafe Tutorial isn't a big help here....
You could try this Tutorial about creating masks using the Channels, I wrote ages ago ...

After using the Levels to increase contrast, painted solid white inside the owl ... stay away from the edges ... use a very soft brush set to Overlay (Opacity 30 - 50%) and carefully paint white from the inside of the owl over the fine feathers and black from the background over the edges...

I used a Hue/Saturation Adjustment Layer to decrease Saturation and Luminosity of the background..

Hope this helps ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_OwlSideShot.jpg (195.6 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by Flora; 04-04-2009 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Posted wrong image
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2009, 08:10 AM

Thanks Flora Just what I was looking for I will have to give this a try.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2009, 10:52 AM

First i adjusted the levels. Used the blue channel to create a mask. darkened the background. Hope you like
Attached Images
File Type: jpg babyowl.jpg (99.9 KB, 14 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora View Post
Yep ... background and owl have very similar colours that's why the great Photoshopcafe Tutorial isn't a big help here....
You could try this Tutorial about creating masks using the Channels, I wrote ages ago ...

After using the Levels to increase contrast, painted solid white inside the owl ... stay away from the edges ... use a very soft brush set to Overlay (Opacity 30 - 50%) and carefully paint white from the inside of the owl over the fine feathers and black from the background over the edges...

I used a Hue/Saturation Adjustment Layer to decrease Saturation and Luminosity of the background..

Hope this helps ....
You took the words right outta my mouth, Flora!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2009, 07:08 PM

All I can say you guys and gals got the mask thing down! Maybe I'm making it harder than it needs to be. Seems like I tried everything you all have taken the time to post and I can't get all the way through anyone of them with out a snag! Snag meaning one of the steps isn't working for me probably my problem for sure!

If anyone can point out a file on the net or a book that will show me how to do this I'm all for it. I appreciate all the time you all have taken and most of them all have something I liked and would add to my final ver if I could get there! Anyway thanks

Mike K
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2009, 09:34 PM

Svencool,
Good luck with your image, it seems you have many great suggestions already.

Regarding some masking support, here are two good resources:
1. If you don't mind looking at some internet based video, visit this link and look at the 3rd section of videos titled "Masking Primer", by Rita Amladi. These are free sections from her CD. There are 12 free sections for your viewing, all complete. While the version of PS may not be current, the help is still applicable. This is a great resource for new PS users, especially if you are not quite ready to buy a lot of DVD's yet. Masking Tutorials
2. The book most everyone recommends is Katrin Eismann's "Photoshop Masking & Compositing", from New Riders publishing, ISBN 0-7357-1279-4.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2009, 04:17 AM

Thanks Tommy I will check out videos and Just ordered Katrin's Book
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help