RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Need Some Help Plz Baby Owl

Old 04-03-2009, 06:21 PM

Need Some Help Plz Baby Owl

I got this shot of a baby owl and would like to darken the background but don't really know how to do it. I don't want to change the back ground but maybe make a mask and just darken it so the owl will pop. Can anyone explain to me how I could do this? I use photoshop thank you.

Mike K
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i1...wlSideShot.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2009, 07:35 PM

Re: Need Some Help Plz Baby Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svencool View Post
I got this shot of a baby owl and would like to darken the background but don't really know how to do it. I don't want to change the back ground but maybe make a mask and just darken it so the owl will pop. Can anyone explain to me how I could do this? I use photoshop thank you.

Mike K
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i1...wlSideShot.jpg

Great photo!

Here's a good tutorial for selecting hair.
http://www.photoshopcafe.com/tutoria...ng/masking.htm

If you haven't used channels to make selections before, read it a couple of times, then follow it carefully while you are working on the image. It's easy to get fouled up looking back and forth from tutorial to picture. At least for me it is.

After you isolate the background from the owl, you can put the background on a separate layer and set the blend mode to darken or multiply. Adjust the opacity of the background layer until you like the results.

Once you learn how to do this, you can apply it to almost anything, especially hair, or anything that would be difficult to select using another selection tool/method.

Take your time with it, it took me a few times to get it right. It's easy after you do it once. I recommended this tutorial because of the hair on the owl. From my experience, using channels is the best and most accurate way to make selections. It's also great (as you will see in the tutorial) for selecting people and putting them on different backgrounds.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeTraveler View Post
Great photo!

If you haven't used channels to make selections before, read it a couple of times, then follow it carefully while you are working on the image. It's easy to get fouled up looking back and forth from tutorial to picture. At least for me it is.

After you isolate the background from the owl, you can put the background on a separate layer and set the blend mode to darken or multiply. Adjust the opacity of the background layer until you like the results.

Once you learn how to do this, you can apply it to almost anything, especially hair, or anything that would be difficult to select using another selection tool/method.

Take your time with it, it took me a few times to get it right. It's easy after you do it once. I recommended this tutorial because of the hair on the owl. From my experience, using channels is the best and most accurate way to make selections. It's also great (as you will see in the tutorial) for selecting people and putting them on different backgrounds.
Thank you I'm going to read it now
Mike K
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2009, 09:13 PM
Patron

I took advantage of the white trim around the bird by doing a screen layer from the background layer then a mask and painting black around the bird. made a couple multiply layers from the background layer Used Ctrl+click on the mask to make a selection out of it then Alt+click on the mask icon to apply the selection to a mask on each of those layers.. selected the eye .. did a Ctrl+J to put the eye on its own layer then sharpened it a bunch... That was my down and dirty approach to this picture, hope it helps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Owl-Layers.jpg (196.7 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg OwlSideShotRP.jpg (186.6 KB, 39 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeTraveler View Post
Great photo!

Im having a problem isolating the fine hair around the owl I guess its because the background color is dark and not one solid color. I have tired a few different approaches and still no success. Seems like everything I read has a clear cut color in the back ground and I guess this isn't just the case here. Not sure what to do now.

I'm trying to preserve all the details in the owl including all the fine hairs around him or her. any ideas???

Mike K

Last edited by Svencool; 04-03-2009 at 10:02 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2009, 08:05 AM

Just some quick painting over the background,and some color fixing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Owl.jpg (97.7 KB, 49 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2009, 09:51 AM

Nice, cupcake.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2009, 12:29 PM
Patron

With a little care the extract filter in Photoshop does a surprisingly good job of masking out the little fellow's fine fuzzy feathers. My sample could have used a little more care around the beak, however . . .

Workflow: copy background layer twice; run extract filter on the top copy; put the middle copy in multiply mode. I thought the darkened background was too red, so I clipped a hue/sat adjustment layer to the multiply layer and lowered saturation on reds and yellows.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OwlSideShot.jpg (198.8 KB, 28 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2009, 01:16 PM

Here is my attempt...

OwlSideShot_enhanced.jpg

My recipe:
  • Duped original twice
  • Switched to Channels and selected color with highest contrast (blue channel)
  • duplicated this channel
    • Enhanced selection by applying levels to the duped channel,
    • Applied contrast again to duped level to enhance black/white differences
    • with brush painted in white within the owl so selection would be a clean shape of the owl
  • created selection of the owl
  • Switched to layers
    Inverted selection (so the background is selected, not the owl)
  • With selection still active, and while on 2nd copy, applied an exposure adjustment layer to darken the background somewhat.
  • Applied a Lens Blur filter to blur the background somewhat and allow the owl to "pop"
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2009, 10:14 PM

So cupcake how did you do that?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help