RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Heavy Colour Cast Slides - help needed.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:44 AM
Patron

Finding the Gray Point

This is from Scott Kelby's The Adobe Photoshop CS4 Book page 221 and is similar to what has been described by crazyfly1.

• Create a new layer and fill with 50% Gray

• Go to the Layers Panel and change the blend mode of that layer to difference.

• On top of the Gray Layer add a Threshold Adjustment Layer

• In the Adjustments Panel of the Threshold Adjustment Layer drag the slider under the histogram all the way to the left. (Your Photo Will turn completely white.

• Now slowly drag the slider to the right and the first areas that appear black are the neutral midtones.

• Add a Color Sampler Point as a reminder to that Black area.

• Discard the Threshold and Gray Layers

• Place a curves adjustment layer on top of the original layer and click on the Sampler Point with the middle (Gray) eyedropper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TheGrayPoint.jpg (192.1 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2009, 02:55 PM

Re: Heavy Colour Cast Slides - help needed.

philbach, I like that, the threshold layer makes it much easier to see the target.
Thanx
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2009, 04:40 PM

I used Light Room for the color adjustment.
I then took it into CS3 to recolor the sky.
Used the CS3 noise filter also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Red-Slide.jpg (99.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Red-Slide-2.jpg (98.7 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Cupcake; 05-21-2009 at 03:43 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2009, 07:03 PM

Smile Re: Heavy Colour Cast Slides - help needed.

Hello, I made several repeated adjustments with color balance, then recolored the lake blue the old fashioned way. Amazing that there was still any color information remaining!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg redcast.jpg (94.6 KB, 23 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2009, 11:13 PM
Patron

Kodak has a neat Photoshop plugin (or stand alone program) called Digital ROC. It was designed by them specifically to correct slides and negatives that have shifted over time. There is nothing to do but go Filter>Kodak ROC. Most of the time it is very accurate. There are controls to fine tune the color. Often it does a great job in 2 seconds and you don't need to mess with curves or HSL etc.
The sample attached would have come out better but the images you uploaded were severely pixelated due to over compression. In future you would be better to reduce the resolyion to 72 ppi, size the image to 6 or 8 inches on the tall side, and save with a higher jpgsetting (you should be able to get 7, 8, or 9 and still fall within the 100KB limited for upload.
Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 131scan Rev MM.jpg (181.7 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2009, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfly1 View Post
tmurphy,
I 'm not sure if this tip is in the katrin vid (I can't watch her, she bores me to tears).
Wanted to let you know you don't have to guess at the grey point.
After you set black and white points-create a new layer filled with neutral grey (do this by picking add new layer from the drop menu, not the icon, choose the overlay blend mode, press ok).
Now change the blend mode to difference, the areas that show as black are nutral grey-set your point and then delete the layer and add another curves adjustment.
I've used this tip before. But the way I was told was to make a new layer filled with 50% grey and set to difference. Is that accomplishing the same thing?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2009, 01:57 PM

"create a new layer filled with neutral grey (do this by picking add new layer from the drop menu, not the icon, choose the overlay blend mode, press ok).
Now change the blend mode to difference"

I'm not sure where I'm missing you. I guess the answer to your question is yes? I think the bump in the road must be the overlay blend mode at the start. If you create a new layer by using the little tiny drop arrow at the top right of the layers pallet you will get a dialouge asking what kind of layer. here you have several options and can also set the blend mode and fill. The difference mode does not come with a fill with 50% grey option, the overlay blend mode does so I start there and then change blend mode to difference once I've crated the layer filled with grey.
Just saves a step, could just create a new layer with the icon and then select grey with a color tool then use the paint bucket to fill and set the blend mode to difference.

Last edited by crazyfly1; 05-21-2009 at 02:07 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2009, 03:27 PM
Patron

This action uses the 50% Gray layer and the Threshold layer plus a levels layer to utilize the Gray, Black, White points found..
After setting the Gray point, This action unchecks the Gray layer but keeps the threshold layer for setting the Black and White points also. This way ALL the points Gray, Black, and White are set and then used with a Levels layer... Corrections are saved as a combined layer to use as you wish
Attached Files
File Type: zip GrayBlackWhitePoints.zip (1.4 KB, 8 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2009, 06:41 PM

I neutralized the blacks, whites, and midtones. Then I used color balance to visually fix some of the remaining color problems. I then boosted the vibrance and merged all layers. OnOne has a neat photo kit called PhotoTools 2.0 Light. Its free and has 14 of the full versions effects. I added a kodachrome effect for contrast and to make the reds punch a little more, boosted the color, and sharpened.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 131scan2.jpg (99.1 KB, 12 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help