RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Getting the feel of this photo

Old 05-12-2009, 12:01 PM

Getting the feel of this photo

Hi. First and foremost, I want to give props to the owner of this photo from deviant art (punkitubella).

And now to my question, my question is how do you get this kind of "feel" using photoshop cs3? It seems there were some play of colors here (Color Balance?). I tried using photoshop, but I cant seem to get the right mix. Any leads?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ignorance_by_punkitubella100.jpg (90.6 KB, 145 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2009, 01:41 PM

Re: Getting the feel of this photo

In my cursory view of the image it appears to me that a blue layer (think cooling filter on a camera) may have been used, then areas masked out to allow "normal" colors to show through.

I see what may be smudging on skin (forearms, and eyelids), but it may just the monitor I'm viewing this through.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2009, 07:51 PM

Thanks for the reply Vernon. Anymore leads? thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2009, 11:31 PM

Normally, I just email the artist and ask. They are often very willing to share their basic work flow, or parts of it. They just prefer to retain anything they consider a "trade secret". Most have been very helpful in the past.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2009, 10:09 AM

That photo looks like it could have been run through a plug-in such as Alienskin Exposure. Maybe a combination of a little bit of cross-processing and a Polaroid effect.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2009, 10:18 AM

so you mean to say, this is not possible via plain photoshop work?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2009, 10:52 AM

i suggest to take it to ps and try to achive most natural look
my try is attached below
and then you can assume how it was possibly done

What i got from this:
-yellow cast in highlights
-blue cast in shadows
-and then in mid tones cyan, green, blue cast
-little bit more saturation
-more contrast

of course result can be slightly different it depends how " natural" you get it at first
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ignorance_by_punkitubella1001.jpg (89.3 KB, 39 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2009, 10:55 AM

I think it could be done in Photoshop (I haven't tried myself), but the plug-in would make getting to the final result quicker and easier. The result in the photo you posted looked similar to effects I've been able to get using Exposure, so that's what made me think if it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2009, 05:46 PM

Hi,

it looks to me that this is done with an Action, to start with. Later there was some fine-tuning with contrasts and brigtness and/or with curves.

DeviantArt has many free actions and action-sets with the same kind of "feel". You can download an action that comes close, duplicate it and make a new adjusted action of it. Be careful not to let the action merge and flatten the layers, before you are content with the look and you can experiment longer with the modes.

Maya

portfolio

www.artwanted.com/gabrielle
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2009, 06:15 PM
Patron

FAQs:
What about Copyrights and Likeness Rights?
This isn't a legal guide, just a brief summary about posting here. We aim to follow United States copyright and likeness rights laws, and it's your responsibility to make sure your uploaded images are within those laws. If in doubt, check http://www.copyright.gov.
Copyrighted images cannot be posted without explicit permission from the copyright owner. "Someone put it up on the web" does NOT count as explicit permission.

Public domain images can be posted (this usually means at least 70 years old, or formally released into the public domain by the copyright owner) assuming you have permission of anyone recognizable in the image (or their estate if they have been dead less than 50 years).

Images you own can be posted by you if you have permission of anyone recognizable in the image. Posting your image here does not mean you surrender copyright, but it does mean you give permission for other users to retouch the image and upload here, unless you explicitly state otherwise at the time of uploading.

Images you don't own can be posted if permission is explicitly given by both the owner of the image and any recognizable person in the image.

Celebrity images or random images from Google or anywhere else on the internet cannot be posted unless explicit permission from both the photographer and the subject has been obtained.

Changing a copyrighted image in any way does not remove it from copyright.

Pieces of copyrighted images, no matter how small, retain their copyright and all the same rules apply.

"Fair use" and parody protection are problematic to define, but to be safe lets assume neither apply here.

You are responsible for obtaining any necessary permissions for images you upload, and you are liable should anyone choose to enforce their copyright or likeness rights.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help