RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Photo restoration of my father in 1944

Old 05-18-2009, 08:00 AM

Newbie Re: Photo restoration of my father in 1944

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyO View Post
Well, I'm Ok with most of the spot removal. However, the clone source for the creases may have been too far away, as it brought in some noticeable larger textures. You may have to retouch those areas again and try to select some of the texture nearby.

You may also want to examine some of your adjustment layers, as one of the adjustments you made has accentuated the texture a bit, making it more noticeable as well. Sort of re-highlighted the little highlights in each of the tiny crevasses.
Thanks for the suggestions! I made two scans per the scanning tutorial that OlBaldy posted. I'll see if that helps when I get home this afternoon. Yeah, I've got a lot of practicing to do with creases and tears. Those are a little difficult. But, I can edit out pimples like a champ!

Quick question though. With dealing with creases and similar repairs, what adjustments are better to do before repairing those and what adjustments are better to do after? One book will say to do all major repairs before even doing a levels adjustment and some will say to fix the levels and contrast before doing major repairs. I can do steps and processes. But, things like this are difficult for me to grasp. I'll try putting the two scans together first and see if that helps me any. Hopefully that will reduce the silvering and bring out some more detail.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Keep 'em coming!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2009, 08:01 AM

Re: Photo restoration of my father in 1944

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurch View Post
Unimatrix, lovely job - except the image looks lavender on my monitor.
Mine too. I'm looking at it on my flat-panel at work and it looks that way on this one. I'll see how it looks on my laptop at home this afternoon.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2009, 08:18 AM

yep, slight lavender cast here too...
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2009, 04:59 PM

The normal retouch,
B&W, re-color,
CS3 noise remover
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Boy-web.jpg (96.7 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy1729 View Post
Mine too. I'm looking at it on my flat-panel at work and it looks that way on this one. I'll see how it looks on my laptop at home this afternoon.
Lavender on my laptop screen too. Oh well. No biggie
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2009, 07:30 PM

After a closer look at the photo and checking out in photoshop i see what you were talking about. It is possible i forgot to desaturate so i desaturated the photo this time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg father-2.jpg (95.9 KB, 27 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2009, 11:47 AM

Newbie Re: Photo restoration of my father in 1944

Ok, Tommy, I took your advice and rescanned it and used the technique shown in the link OlBaldy posted, scanning one way and then rescanning at 180 degrees to that. That actually took care of the silvering and made it look a lot better! Yay! Also, I scanned it at 1200dpi to see if that would help preserve some detail while restoring it. I am restoring this to give to my father for father’s day this year, so I want it to look as nice as possible. Also, do you have any idea what adjustment I could’ve made to increase the paper texture instead of reducing it like you noticed?

I used a contrast mask while playing around with it and it brought out a lot of detail, but created a slight halo around his jacket and hat. The blue channel showed more detail in the bottom half of the picture and the green and red channels showed more detail near the top. I tried using an inverted desaturation of this image for the contrast mask, but it didn’t bring out as much detail as using the green or red channels.

I’m pretty unsure as to what this picture needs in terms of retouching. I know some of you have posted your reworkings, but can you be a little more detailed as to what this picture needs? I can see that it needs a levels adjustment and contrast adjustment. Should I do the major repairs before starting any adjustments or should I wait until last to do that?

Would it be better to simply desaturate or should I use the Channel Mixer to make it B&W?
And when should I do that in the workflow?

I apologize for asking so many questions! Like I said, my brain only works in processes and steps. I’m trying to get to the point where I can be more creative, but I am trying to get my basics down first. If you all can tell me what you think needs to be done and in what order you think it should be done, that would help me understand this a lot better. Or if one of you knows of an online tutorial or book that would help me figure out this specific photo, I would be forever grateful!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-26-2009, 07:01 AM

Timmy1729

Rhonda Dinwiddie had a great alternative on how to get rid of the texture on your scan - here's a link to her post she made on a different thread. Useful to all of us.
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/ima...tml#post230755
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help