RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Photo restoration of my father in 1944

Old 05-17-2009, 01:35 AM

Newbie Photo restoration of my father in 1944

Hello everyone,
I'm back with another baby picture of my father.

I've gotten as far as I can on this with my current skill level. I have no clue how to handle that stain on his right arm. Also, I do not know how to deal with that HORRIBLE texture over the entire picture. Lastly I don't know how to deal with the discoloration in the shadows under the table and between his shoes. I've looked through a couple of restoration books, but nothing stood out as being able to help me.

So, what can I do to fix these issues? Also, what do you think of my work so far? I need objective viewers to give comments and suggestions so I can improve. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dad-original.jpg (97.4 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg Dad-repaired-RTP.jpg (98.4 KB, 109 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2009, 09:17 AM
Patron

Re: Photo restoration of my father in 1944

Hi Timmy, the image is Black & White so I would desaturate it or convert it to grayscale to get rid of the areas of stray color such as between his shoes. The pattern resulting from the textured photo paper is more difficult to illiminate. The fastest and easiest way to mitigate it is to use a good noise filter such as Noiseware, Noise Ninja, Neat Image, etc. It will be a trade off between the amount you want to blur the image bersus how much of the pattern you are willing to put up with.
Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dad-repaired-RTP RevMM.jpg (192.6 KB, 55 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2009, 10:11 AM

Timmy,
You may also want to consider rescanning or photographing the image again. The paper texture can be reduced dramatically by realigning the light source. Also, the "discoloration" you refer to looks like silvering - a normal product of age on images from this era. The silvering will only get worse on the original, so don't wait to get all the good scans or photographs of it you want. There are also several other methods of reducing silverings' effect. You can search RetouchPro for other threads on that subject.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday View Post
Hi Timmy, the image is Black & White so I would desaturate it or convert it to grayscale to get rid of the areas of stray color such as between his shoes. The pattern resulting from the textured photo paper is more difficult to illiminate. The fastest and easiest way to mitigate it is to use a good noise filter such as Noiseware, Noise Ninja, Neat Image, etc. It will be a trade off between the amount you want to blur the image bersus how much of the pattern you are willing to put up with.
Regards, Murray
Would using a Channel Mixer adjustment layer with Monochrome checked work for this?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyO View Post
Timmy,
You may also want to consider rescanning or photographing the image again. The paper texture can be reduced dramatically by realigning the light source. Also, the "discoloration" you refer to looks like silvering - a normal product of age on images from this era. The silvering will only get worse on the original, so don't wait to get all the good scans or photographs of it you want. There are also several other methods of reducing silverings' effect. You can search RetouchPro for other threads on that subject.
I will try rescanning it then. I only have a Kodak 4mp point-and-shoot and it wouldn't work for photographing this. I'll look up some techniques for scanning images such as this. Thanks!

BTW, other than the silvering still being there, what do you think of my restoration so far, as in getting the creases out?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2009, 11:55 AM
Patron

Timmy if you are going to Re-scan this thread may help : Scanners, textures, scratches, cracks, silvering
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy1729 View Post
BTW, other than the silvering still being there, what do you think of my restoration so far, as in getting the creases out?
Well, I'm Ok with most of the spot removal. However, the clone source for the creases may have been too far away, as it brought in some noticeable larger textures. You may have to retouch those areas again and try to select some of the texture nearby.

You may also want to examine some of your adjustment layers, as one of the adjustments you made has accentuated the texture a bit, making it more noticeable as well. Sort of re-highlighted the little highlights in each of the tiny crevasses.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2009, 06:22 PM

I started by switching to lab mode chose the b channel, used apply image chose the a channel set to exclusion to reduce the silvering. switched back to rgb mode used the magic wand to select the dark areas of the photo, applied filter,noise,despeckle 4 times to reduce the texture in the shadows, selected the highlights and applied the same filter once. repaired the defects around the table and small areas of the curtain and jacket. Used grain surgery 2 to sample the grain from the original photo and add it back into the shadows to reduce the texture a small amount more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg father-1.jpg (99.7 KB, 50 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2009, 08:45 PM
Patron

Unimatrix, lovely job - except the image looks lavender on my monitor.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2009, 05:29 AM

Thats odd I did convert it to black and white when all adjustment and corrections were made.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help