RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

stains

Old 06-04-2002, 09:51 PM

cleanes stains

hi! I' m back! here it is. I hope I did a good job with this. It was not easy for me really. I used level adjustment then dropper to darken the background. Then I used curve to lighten the skin. When it looked fine to me, I cleaned the blue stains and used clone. I used brush tool to the floor. Finally, dust and noise, then smart blur. what do you think? I hope to hear from you, guys!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg kidscopy1.jpg (50.2 KB, 53 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2002, 10:27 PM

Looks much better than the original one!

I am just a beginner at restoration, and so any improvement over the original is cause for celebration to me!

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2002, 11:19 PM

Good job! Especially since you're just learning.

You really have made it look a lot better. The only thing I can see that I'd possibly work on a little bit more is the smaller child's face. It's not quite the same color as the skin on the arms and neck which makes it look a little bright and ghostly...

You might try making a new color layer, and then picking up some color from the arms and using the paint tool to paint it in very lightly on the face.

All I did to this one was add some color to the children's skin and tone down the red in the background some.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kidscopy1.jpg (90.5 KB, 50 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2002, 05:22 PM

thanks

I am happy you taught me how to fix that photo. You're great! Thank you for the tips
I just wanna know if I will print a photo is it best to save it as jpg or tif to get the best result?
Also, I wanna be good in restoring a photo, i really enjoy it. Is there any courses to help me improve? I took a short course, 4 session in photo restoration but it was not enough, I am thinking of taking a digital darkroom workshop and photography. Wiill it help? I need some advice. Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2002, 07:52 PM

Well I am probably not much help as far as a description goes, because I start playing with something not intending to submit it, and don't keep track of my steps. Here is what I came up with though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kids1_try.jpg (89.9 KB, 40 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2002, 10:49 PM

Chair,

I'm so glad you were able to fix it and that you're happy with the information you got. I'm glad we were able to help you out.

There are a couple of threads you might check out for information on file formats such as JPEG, TIFF, etc. Here are the links:

File Formats

What format should I use?

I normally save as PSD while I'm working on it since that format is lossless and will also preserve any layers I might have. When am absolutely sure I'm done and won't be making any other changes, I make a JPEG copy of the image and burn it to CD to take to the lab for printing.

As far as courses go, you might start a thread in the education section asking for advice on that. It will be more visible if it has its own thread and you will have a better chance of getting more answers/advice. I personally have never taken a Photoshop or restoration class, so I'm not really sure what the benefit is there. I started learning Photoshop on the job, and then just picked up things over time from books and tutorial websites.

A really great way to learn is to participate in the challenges offered here on RP. You might consider giving them a shot.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2002, 04:33 PM

stain

wow...thats good. I am amazed with you guys! Each of you have their own ways of restoring photos. I am happy to be here and hoping I can do like you do.
By the way, I have some restored photos, I am thinking of sending it to my family but I am worried about the mailing. Is there any way I can send photos safely especially the photos I restored, I spent so much time with it? My worry is that the envelop might get fold or something.
Hope to hear from you guys!

Thanks

chair
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2002, 05:49 PM

You can buy photo mailers at the post office, camera stores, Wal-Mart, etc. I usually enclose the photos I'm sending in plastic, then place them between 2 stiff pieces of cardboard before putting them in the mailers.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help