Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Having no luck with removing yellow spots

Old 07-12-2009, 10:29 AM
Re: Having no luck with removing yellow spots

Originally Posted by lurch View Post
Try this, Jaxx. When the damage is yellow or red, the blue channel almost always shows nearly full detail, as it does in your case. This is a situation tailor-made for doing corrections on a luminosity layer. Here's what I did with your snippet (workflow attached):
Thank you lurch and everyone else for your feedback. I'm experimenting with your techniques now.

On a side note, when I was studying the channels I noticed the red channel had a swirl pattern on different sections of the photograph. I have posted one of the sections that contained this swirl damage. Look at the red channel and let me know what you guys think. Have you ever seen this before? If so what is it, any ways to eliminate it. You can just barely see it in the full RGB image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Swirls.jpg (98.4 KB, 47 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-12-2009, 04:49 PM

I checked out the channels of this second photo. Red channel had the most swirls in the photo, green channel had a few and the blue channel was totally clear of the swirls.
duplicate image
switched to channels view
selected and copied the blue channel
selected red channel turned on visibility for rgb channel red still selected
pasted the blue channel into the red channel
used levels to adjust the pasted in blue channel to reveal the proper color
selected the green channel pasted the blue channel in adjusted with levels
set the duplicated layer to luminosity
used different hue/sat, selective color, and color balance layers to reach the final image
then used the patch tool on the neck to remove all remaining yellow spots.
I used the same technique for the first photo posted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Swirls1.jpg (98.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg yellowDots1.jpg (95.7 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by unimatrix001; 07-12-2009 at 05:23 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-12-2009, 07:49 PM

Hi Jaxx, The swirls you refer to are actually a Moire pattern which is pretty strong in this image. Anyway, I am not a big fan of cloning and healing a ton of spots so I took a different approach on this image.

- Image>Mode LAB to convert to LAB Color mode
- Open the Channels Palette and select the L channel
- Image>Apply Image: Select B Channel as the source, Check the Invert Box, Change the Blend Mode from Normal to Hard Light, and reduce the Opacity from 100% to 53%
- Next select the A channel and do Image>Apply Image: As a source select the B channel, do NOT check the Invert box, change the Blend Mode to Hard light, and the Opacity to 64%.
- Select the B channel and go Filter Blur> Gaussian Blur and set the value to 40.
- Select the A channel and Filter>Gaussian Blur and set the value to 2.0

You should be left with 2 or 3 spots around the neck and a significantly attenuated Moire pattern. Also the image hue will have shifted.

All you need is a Hue Sat adj layer shifting the hue slightly to the right toward yellow to restore the skin and hair color. The clone stamp can be use to fix the 3 spots on her neck.

This whole process should take you less than 5 minutes.

There will still be a faint moire remaining. You can fix this but it is a little more work. Depends to what extent you want to fine tune the final image.

Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jaxx Swirls and Spots MM.jpg (183.2 KB, 28 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help