RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

One Bit Image

Old 06-02-2002, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Needham
But yet you embrace digital?
Sure I do. I just dislike waiting all day for someone's idea of a cool flash show just to find out it's really not cool at all and I just wasted an enormous amount of time on it...

So, I've just stopped looking at them altogether.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2002, 02:24 AM

yeah, a lot of people have ruined the reputation of Flash because of things like that. people make massive flash movies/animations/images or whatever that take forever to load and aren't really much more interesting then regular Gifs or Jpegs. the thing I like Flash for, is that you can make good looking stuff that loads almost instantly, which is great if you want a very visual website, but don't have a lot of server space. Flash is a great program, but way too many people use it in totally the wrong way (well, I think so anyway)

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2002, 04:03 AM

Although this is (almost) totally OT, I agree with Jak, if a site forces me to have to download flash, I don't need that site. David says it's quick on download, but I've wasted plenty of time waiting for irrelevant flash apps to download (download time depends on the efficiency of the server). I also agree with David, that flash is totally misused on most sites.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2002, 06:51 PM

HTML is the real killer Flash done badly is always associated with long load times, fancy bits and bobs but no substance. Poppycock. It's so small its being ported to pda and next gen g3 devices, used properly it enhances and compliments rather than detracts in any of the ways mentioned previously.

And if someone else would be smart enough to tell me just how they would go about producing this effect (no jaggies/pixelated) without flash, please come forward. Otherwise its the only viable method that I can think of.

Just getting back to my former rant, many of you objectors probably experience flash 20 times a day on your average surf and you never even know.

Sounds to me like you are taking retrograde action in a propane paced world.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2002, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Flash done badly is always associated with long load times, fancy bits and bobs but no substance. Poppycock.
You may well be right. I know little about the mechanics of Flash. All I know is that when a site I'm viewing instructs me to "wait while the Flash loads" I get impatient and leave. I really appreciate those ones that have a "skip intro" function or something similar so that I can get right to whatever I was looking for in the first place.

Quote:
And if someone else would be smart enough to tell me just how they would go about producing this effect (no jaggies/pixelated) without flash, please come forward.
Ummmm... Let's see... I'm pretty smart. I was the president of the Honor Society chapter in college and I have a pretty good IQ. And if I'm re-reading through the posts correctly, the word Vector was mentioned a few times before you mentioned Flash...

Quote:
many of you objectors probably experience flash 20 times a day on your average surf and you never even know
Actually, I know you're probably right about that now that I think of it. And I truly do appreciate those sites that make it so unobtrusive that you never even realize it's there.

You are obviously a fan of Flash effects. I know almost nothing about them really. I do know that it is a fact in the way of the world that unless something is loud and/or annoying it really isn't noticed that often. And perhaps since the only Flash I am aware of is that which I find annoying, then that is what I have (erroneously perhaps) based my opinion on.

If you are knowledgeable about how Flash actually works (or is supposed to work), maybe you could start a thread in the Salon giving a basic explanation of it to us who are currently ignorant of it's positive side...?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2002, 07:24 PM

Jill, the best advice I can give you is to reiterate what Blacknight and Mike said. Keep things as vector images and you can output to any size you need. Flash and Illustrator are vector based programs, so you should be able to move files between the two and resize things to your heart's content. I'll see if I can find a few links to Illustrator tutorials.

Here is a list of a few basic ones... http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/illustratorbasics/

Last edited by G. Couch; 06-03-2002 at 07:30 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2002, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Needham
And if someone else would be smart enough to tell me just how they would go about producing this effect (no jaggies/pixelated) without flash, please come forward. Otherwise its the only viable method that I can think of.
check here. you can easily get that in vector, since it saves the info for a line as the coordinates of the line (start/end of it), color, etc. and then displays it as a perfectly straight line.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jakaleena
If you are knowledgeable about how Flash actually works (or is supposed to work), maybe you could start a thread in the Salon giving a basic explanation of it to us who are currently ignorant of it's positive side...?
Hi Jak,
I just posted info about Flash and vector in the Software forum (
here)
i'm not exactly an expert on it, but I do know the basics anyway.

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2002, 02:50 AM

I just wanted to thank you all for you quick responce and well thought out advice. I can always count on this group for great advice!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2002, 07:35 AM

Hehe, sorry to kick over the hornets nest on this one I do concede that many times I have hit the back button on my browser for a long loading so called flash extravaganza (or would have done if flash sites provided a getout ) It is often used annoyingly and ineptly, real secrets of flash lies in it's abilities to create objects as reusable symbols and its actionscripting routines also any decent flash designer (worth their salt) will allow for loading in the background whilst the user is oblivious with other content.

The crux of the problem here seems to be a question of rasterization (is that a word?!?) ie, no matter what program you choose, be it Illustrator or Freehand, because your chosen medium is the Web, no matter what program you use, eventually you will have to convert it to either jpeg gif or any number of other extensions all of which will result in the final image being rasterized. I can only think of Flash that offers the chance to output your final work to vector format on the web (there may be other methods - please weigh in with answers)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help