RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

One Bit Image

Old 06-02-2002, 12:07 PM

Question One Bit Image

Hello!
I have been working on (having lots of fun) a kids program doing some of the graphics with a friend who does all the hard work....Programming We are using Flash to creat the cartoon images and then exporting to photoshop/psp to add texture and extras after. My friend is making part of the program into a color book section. All black and white images. The problem is they lines are very pixelated. I can make the physical color book pages print fine because I do them at a high resolution and print at a high res. but the real question here is for the web/window everything is in bitmap and at 72 dpi.....so the pixelation problem. I have checked out all my sons color programs and some on the web and it's not so pixelated with them.
Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks so much in advance
~Jill~
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2002, 02:48 PM

I started to respond, but realized that I just didn't quite have enough info or didn't understand completely what your dilemma is. Can you post samples of your problem and what you're trying to do? Or URL's?

A visual would sure help...
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2002, 03:51 PM

If I read correctly the images are made in Flash? Save them as Adobe Illustrator files (Export them) and then open them in either Illustrator or FreeHand, where they will be vector images (hopefully) instead of pixels and will look good at any size.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2002, 04:04 PM

Thanks you two, I guess I don't know how to explain very well because I don't understand what I am talking about!
The images that start out in flash will be used in the childrens program as a black and white color book page on the computer screen. The person doing this said he needs to have the images in 1 bit sooooo just black and white....I guess I don't know if there is a setting to just start off drawing with only one color. I am guessing and have been playing around trying to figure this out. I can start off with just 4 bit but see no setting for 1.
I haven't use Illustrator so will try to export to that and see what I can do there blacknight. Jackaleena I am attaching the drawing at 1 bit so you can see what pixelation I mean. I appreciate the help on this one guys.....I am strickly a retoucher and this is a whole new area! Fun, but don't have a clue yet what I am doing
Attached Images
File Type: bmp house color book 1 bit.bmp (37.2 KB, 39 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2002, 04:14 PM

I downloaded it and it does look to me to be a problem that a vector program might be helpful for. I'm not much of an expert on vector images, but from what I can see the lines are only about 2 pixels wide. Since pixels are square, I think that's what's causing the jagged edge problem. A large area with lots of pixels can appear smooth, but an area like this will show every pixel corner (at least that's my understanding). Since vector images aren't pixel based, they can actually be smooth where pixels can't...
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2002, 04:14 PM
Janitor

the "pixelization" you refer to is called aliasing. Pixels are square, so any diagonal line will have this 'stairstep' pattern. It is especially obvious at low resolutions and with thin lines. Anti-aliasing can soften the effect, but requires shades of gray. You have a 1-bit, low-rez, illustration made with thin lines, so unless you can change something there's nothing you can do.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2002, 04:17 PM

Thank you guys for your quick responce....I will be working on this! You guys are great
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2002, 05:29 PM

I can't believe that somebody hasn't suggested this, but surely the obvious answer to your problem would be to partially create your site in vector (in other words flash).

Jpegs, gifs and even png will all give a pixelated look. But by creating it in flash you could achieve the result you require, it sounds like you have experience with the program and must be aware that it would also produce ideal file sizes for an intensely graphic heavy site dont despair that your target audience won't have flash either, over 94% of computer owners have it.

You don't have ot create the whole site in flash, just the graphics if you want. The bezier tools in flash are fairly powerful too.

good luck
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2002, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Needham
it would also produce ideal file sizes for an intensely graphic heavy site dont despair that your target audience won't have flash either, over 94% of computer owners have it.
I don't have flash and absolutely refuse to view a website that forces me to view it without an alternative. I find it terribly annoying. I must be one of the odd 6%....
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2002, 07:51 PM

But yet you embrace digital?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help