RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Corrupt JPEG. Help need!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2009, 07:36 PM

Corrupt JPEG. Help need!

Hi All,

In the course of downloading >100 12MB JPEGs from a Canon D300 I accidentally chose to MOVE the files from my memory card (16GB Extreme IV) rather than COPY, which I usually do. I used Windows Explorer and a right-click MOVE to initiate the transfer. Near the completion of the move operation, something went amiss that caused the card to become unreadable. In fact the entire directory structure on the source card is gone. On the target side of the move operation (a folder on my PC) the JPEGs appear to have been copied, HOWEVER, the glitch is that many of them appear almost solid grey when viewed. It is interesting to note that if I use PICASA photo viewer as the viewing application, and I look at a "single picture" it appears grey with only a few lines of color near the top. There is very encouraging news in that if I use this same Picasa application and very rapidly scroll through the pictures by holding the right arrow key ("goto next picture") in rapid success, a full view of every picture shows momentarily before they turns grey. So the good news, I know all the data that is needed to produce the picture is present, but it appears to be accompanied by some form of corruption.

Things I've already tried:

- Windows Picture Viewer produces the error message: "Couldn't display DSC_0023.jpg" because it is corrupt.

- Picasa picture viewer: Situation described above. Momentary flash of full picture, then it turns grey.

- Windows Paint: Grey picture with a few good lines painted near the top of the picture.

- Office Picture Manager: Same Grey with a few good lines near the top.

- PhotoRescue Expert PC: Sees nothing to recover on the original chip. When pointed to a .JPG on the folder where the corrupt copy exists, it show thumbnails consistent with above.

- Pandora Recovery: Could not recover source chip.

- Zero Assumption Recovery: In progress on original photo chip, but will be running for hours (16GB chip), and is showing many bad sectors. Before this copy I had scrolled through the pictures in my camera viewfinder and the pictures were fine. After the move/copy failed, the chip is now unreadable in the camera.

So bottom line, I know the data is in the JPEGs that are on my hard drive, but I'm looking for a utility or approach that might sync up what I'm guessing is a JPG header with the content that is part of the picture. Any insights are greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

I was trying to upload a photo to the site for a sample but got an "Upload failed" message. This is the first time I've tried using this site, so there may be something I need to learn here? (Is the failure because of the 12MB size?)

Thanks again,

Bob Reynolds
breynolds@solpart.com
Old 08-04-2009, 08:39 AM

Re: Corrupt JPEG. Help need!

Quote:
(Is the failure because of the 12MB size?)
Yes. You can upload here up to 100K. Best is to do that and also post a link to where the full size image can be downloaded from. If you do not have a site to post it, you can use Windows Live Skydrive or something like YouSendIt.com (send to yourself) and post the respective link here.

Juergen
Old 08-04-2009, 09:01 AM
Patron

Bob,
Welcome to Retouch Pro !

The upload failure was probably two-fold. Yes, there is a limit to the file size - 100K for non-members, 200K for members. It's really just designed for a thumbnail; we use external sites for the larger files.

I suspect your problem arose from the "move" operation. Windows does not work well with many thumbdrives and SD type cards when reading and writing in one operation.

The fact that you see an image when scrolling does not mean the whole image is in there somewhere. More than likely, the embedded thumbnail is not corrupt, and that is what you are seeing. It is also not very likely that just the header is corrupt, as that is very very rare. Corrupt headers are more a result of bad programming/conversion, than bad data transmissions/operations. It is more likely that there are multiple errors throughout the file. Since the actual image data comprises the largest % of the JPG file (like 99%), generally the corruption is in that portion.

So, your best bet would be to try a internet based repair service. Email them one or two files and see what they can do. If they fail, you're only out about $20. If they are successful, they generally have discounts for larger quantities.

Most software you would purchase will only repair header problems, which is not very useful for the majority of issues.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:32 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I've uploaded four of the JPEGs to my smugmug site here: http://breynolds1957.smugmug.com/gal...10918304_xksc3

I will never perform a "move" versus a "copy" again, and I typically have used "copy" in the past. A momentary lapse of judgement that I'm paying for.

With regard to TommyO's comment that seeing that I'm probably seeing the embedded thumbnails as I'm scrolling quickly through them, it is certainly possible but I'm not convinced yet. By essentially buring my processor with background activity I essentially slowed down the action of the entire machine, and the image I see appears to be much better than a stretched thumbnail: it is nearly full screen and clear, but then it's as if someone paints gray over it. The overburdered processor is slower to repaint the gray. My next attempt when I get home will be to try a screen capture while the image is visible, but I'm doubtful the processor will react quick enough for this to work.

Finally, I did attempt opening the files with a trial copy of PaintShopPro which shows the image as grey-- in short another failed attempt for now.

Any more insights are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob Reynolds
breynolds@solpart.com
Old 08-04-2009, 01:02 PM

Bob, welcome to Retouch Pro. In Photoshop the image opens with a narrow black band across the top and the rest white. Examination shows that all of the meta data is still intact (Camera and shooting info etc). Futher examination using a Hex Editor shows that the whole file looks like it has valid data except for a block between addresses 9DE5 and FFFF where all of the data are zeroes.
So my guess is that one column or row of the memory got corrupted. If all the images are the same, it is likely that the entire row or column in the memory card got corrupted either in transfer or very possibly the Compact Flash card is or has become defective. Flash memory often fails in that manner.
With a block of data missing, the software looses its reference points when trying to decode the jpg sequences and it just reports that the file has missing data or is corrupted. From my recollection of the jpg decoding process, if the s/w looses synch it just gives up.

There may be a way of recovering most of the data but would probably invlve someone manually going into the file and inserting markers that the s/w could work around.
There are some jpg math wizards on the Adobe Photoshop User to User forum so you could try there. http://forums.adobe.com/community/ph...toshop_windows
Old 08-04-2009, 01:04 PM

One of the fixes I read of is to restore the EXIF data, but this appears to be ok. The file sizes and dimensions look normal.
I can see the EXIF data and the thumbnail. Shore and water, sunset.

---- Image Information ---------------------------------------------------------
Filename: 610917714_dsc_0096.jpg
File size: 5 MB (5 267 173 bytes)
Dimensions: 4288 x 2848
Bit depth: 24
Created: Sunday, August 02, 2009 7:11:54 PM
Changed: Tuesday, August 04, 2009 2:51:26 PM

---- Description ---------------------------------------------------------------

---- Picture Taking Conditions -------------------------------------------------
Audio note No
Camera data Yes
Text information No
Created Sunday, August 02, 2009 7:11:54 PM
Digitized Sunday, August 02, 2009 7:11:54 PM
Modified Sunday, August 02, 2009 7:11:54 PM
Flash No
Exposure time 1/2500 s
Aperture 20
Max. aperture 3.86
Focal length 26.00 mm
Focal length (EQ35mm) 39 mm
ISO 3200
Digital zoom ratio 1.00
Exposure bias 0
Metering mode Pattern
Exposure mode Auto exposure
White balance Manual
Exposure program Normal program
Orientation Normal
Sharpness Normal
Contrast Normal
Saturation Normal
Gain control High gain up
Scene capture type Standard
Light source Unknown
Camera Make NIKON CORPORATION
Model NIKON D300
Software Ver.1.00
Compression JFIF Compression
Color representation YCbCR
DPI 300.00
Exif version 2.21
Flashpix version 1.00
Colorspace sRGB
Flash - detailed Flash did not fire
Sensing method One-chip color area sensor
File source Digital camera
Scene type A directly photographed image
Custom image processing Normal process
Subject distance range None
Image Unique ID 50643
Lens’s focal length 18.00 - 200.00 mm f/3.5 - 5.6
Keywords No
Digital signature No
Flash bias -0.50
Old 08-04-2009, 01:31 PM
Patron

Bob,
I also took a peak at the hex data. The file appears to be a JFIF, not a jpeg. This is a jpeg variant that is supposed to be more "open". However, hardly any software supports this format. I believe Photoshop Elements will import and export JFIF's; Photoshop CSx will not. Otherwise, maybe a viewer/converter came with the camera. There are quite a few on the web, but not many free ones.

The other comments from Murray and MiningArt could still be valid - there could be some corruption since you said the whole process crashed. But, knowing the file was stored in a slightly different format could help in resolving the issue.

You may also experiment with copying the file and renaming the file extension to allow other converters/viewers to work correctly with the JFIF.

My thoughts are that if the headers are valid in all the files, then it would be very unlikely that data corruption would have affected only one specific area of each file. It is more likely a conversion problem (you may need new firmware for the camera) or something more simple like the file extension got changed on downloading.

Best of luck and let us know what you find out so we can learn from it.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:07 PM

I had looked at the file with a hex editor also to see if it had a standard header.

Any operations using ImageMagick give this error.

Invalid JPEG file structure: two SOF markers

I used dos copy with the binary switch, copy /B, and the file almost loaded in my image browser, Zoner 11. It starts to decode, but fails.

I stripped out everything except image data for a try, failed.

I recreated the EXIF, failed.

Will try a few more things as time permits.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:06 PM

Bob, below is the recovered image you posted. I used a trial version of JPEG Recovery (hence the watermark). There are many other jpg recovery utilities available. Can you post a couple more images so we can see if the damage is the same nature. It could be that your camera has a problem and generated the corruption.
Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc_0098A-MM R2.jpg (157.1 KB, 108 views)
Old 08-04-2009, 04:23 PM

All,

Thank you very much.

MisterMonday: I just tried the JPEG Recovery over lunch and got exactly what you just posted back. I'd like to file this as great minds think alike if that's ok with you! ;-) I can and will post more, but you'll likely see the same thing, so I can save you time down that road.

Most of them had this type of split which is from two different pictures. I was in rapid fire mode on many of these pictures as we were on a boat driving down the Tennessee river in Knoxville. I'm sure many will be deleted ultimately, but I haven't seen them yet to prune the list to good ones.

TommyO: I will try your renaming trick tonight to the . As an fyi, the camera is a Canon D300 so I'll read the manual, too, to see what it produces. In the past, I've done MANY 1000s of pictures into Picasa without incident, so I don't think the file format is an issue, but I may be missing your point.

Thank you all. If I get this resolved, I will certainly share the final results.

Bob
Old 08-04-2009, 05:15 PM

Bob, on reviewing the image more closely, I realize that there appears to be half of one image and half of another image. Usually the camera takes one shot, processes the file and then takes the next shot. It seems more probable to me that whatever application transferred the images from CF to hard drive may have gotten itself out of sync and offset the files. If the rest of the images are the same, you may be able to cut off each half and stitch it together with its coorect other half. Let us know how it goes.
Regards, Murray
Old 08-05-2009, 04:21 PM

mistermonday may be onto something here with the two picture observation. Not only did my bad judgement in this case get me to doing a "move" instead of a "copy", I pressed my luck because I was pressed for time and started TWO moves from differenent subfolders of the chip at the same time. Theortically this should work, and I do multiple "copy" operations often. However, it would be interesting if the native Windows code to support this was overtaxed to the point of combining different parts from the concurrently running move operations. I'm not convinced yet, and I've gotten buried in work so I'll be exploring more, and will report back for everyone's benefit. In the meantime, other insights are always appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 08-05-2009, 05:28 PM

Try Graphic Converter - http://www.lemkesoft.com/public/cont...cGlkPTg4_.html - its a 'free' app that can open almost anything. You just have to wait a while while it starts up
Old 08-06-2009, 01:58 PM

If you have not used the memory card since the move you could try an image recovery software.

Juergen
Old 08-07-2009, 02:51 PM

Thanks for the tip Juergen. I actually have not used it and did create an image. I've been so swamped with work issues the last two days, I haven't circled back with more experiments yet, but this weekend hope to make some leap forward.

Markzebra: I think Graphic Converter needs to run on a Mac from what I'm seeing? Lucky for me I just bought one for my daughter heading to college. Will try and report back.

Thanks, Bob