RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Is it possible to fix this...

Old 06-03-2002, 11:37 AM

And here is the final one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg album_002_after.jpg (79.9 KB, 48 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2002, 11:40 AM

I'm glad we could all contribute to such a successful outcome. Beautiful job Datune.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2002, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by datune
I wonder though if i would take this to a proffesional Photolab and if money would not be an issue if they could totally fix it up again? As in make this a 100% perfect picture which is crystal clear in details and razor sharp.
My background IS working in Professional Photolabs. I have worked in them and managed them for nearly 20 years. If someone came into my shop asking what you are asking, this is what I'd tell them:

There is no "again" with this photograph because it was never really what I'd call a great picture to begin with. What it is, is a fairly average snapshot with some fairly average problems. A lot of amazing things are possible with Photoshop, but complete miracles are fairly rare. Most people have the impression that Photoshop, and other photo manipulation programs, were designed to make a poor image good, but that was not the designer's intent. They were created to make a good image even better and were adopted by people who desired to repair and restore photographs. To turn this image into a 100% crystal clear, razor sharp image it would have to end up looking like a painting because the photographic details you want it to have are just not there.

As an old photograph goes, it is really already in about as good a shape as it's going to get, and I really wouldn't see much point in charging you $150-$300 or so to do something I don't think you'd be happy with in the end anyway...
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2002, 01:08 PM

I agree with Jak. The problem here isn't your skill level or ability. The problem is that the original photo just isn't that good to begin with. There is no way to sharpen a photo which is not sharp and does not have the detail you need to begin with. Photoshop (and other image editors) can do a lot, but they can't recreate data where none exists.

Personally, I think I'd be pretty happy with the results you got considering what you had to start with. Glad we were able to help!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2002, 01:27 PM

Here's my take on your image

Here's what I did

1.I made a curves adj screen, correcting the red channel.

2. Played around with the clone tool to add the tree look on the right side.

3curves adj to darken image. People are still light. Select>color range> hightlight to darken skin tones.

4.Burned pants leg at bottom to darken

Hopefully my 2 cents helps along with the other.

P.S. the note pad is great. I just did a copy and paste.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg album_002__fff.jpg (72.3 KB, 41 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2002, 05:36 PM

Hi Datune,
A couple of other options to think about:
Why not crop out the areas that really don't add much to the photo. Here's an example of what I mean. (I cropped a little too close, but you can still get the idea).
I think it makes the photo look less like a random snapshot, and more like a captured moment.
* I did do a bit of work on this, mostly because that red cast in photos drives me crazy.

Another option: to give an illusion of a sharper picture, blur the surrounding background. (Sorry, no time for an example).
Vikki
Attached Images
File Type: jpg album_002x_.jpg (55.1 KB, 30 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2002, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vikki

Another option: to give an illusion of a sharper picture, blur the surrounding background. (Sorry, no time for an example).
Vikki
Great ideas, Vikki. There's actually a tutorial for blurring the background HERE
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help