RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

This Photo Needs Work...

Old 08-17-2009, 02:20 PM

Re: This Photo Needs Work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
May I ask this as well: Did either of you do any more corrections?
Yes, of course, Lilith.

Overall color/contrast correction (curves), patching/cloning repairs, d&b, denoise, smudging, sharpen, vignette -- pretty much a standard workflow...

The key is to identify specific problems, such as too red overall, then using an appropriate tool to correct the problem. Work your way from global adjustments to detailed adjustments and you'll be well on your way.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2009, 02:39 PM

I knew there was a reason it looked so awesome, but the only retouch I knew had been done was smudge. One of these days, I'll be able to look at a photo and immediately tell what to do. For now, I'm just going to be grateful that you and others know what you are doing.

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2009, 03:11 PM

Hiya Lilith, and may I second 0lBaldy welcomeing you to RTP. Just had a little play with your pic to try and give you my ideas on how to fix it. I could have done more but it at least gives you an idea.

Add levels adjustment layer, set white point on Santa's right sleave, black point on front boys hair, grey point on front boys trousers, just above the tear in the pic.

Selected the torn part and jumped it's own layer and free transformed it to get it into the correct position, then merged down.

Selected the tape and feathered 5 pixels and ran a levels adjustment on it to get it the same sort of luminance as the rest of the pic.

Deselected and then it was just a matter of 100% opacity 20% flow cloneing to get everything looking good.

Hope this helps, and good luck......
John

P.S. oh I forgot I denoised it as well
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Santa.jpg (97.1 KB, 46 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2009, 04:23 PM

Wink Re: This Photo Needs Work...

A lot of healing and cloning.
Some re painting.
I hope you like it.

This is the large file:
http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/4715/santa2.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg santa-2-web.jpg (95.8 KB, 37 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2009, 02:06 AM

I love it, Cupcake! I hope none of you mind, but I have been showing off your work to anyone who'd listen. They've all been impressed. It's just something to see a picture so old and so cherished made to look brand new. Thank you guys so much.

Britsdad, I sent you a PM, but it's not listed in my PM box anywhere, but I can repeat what I said there, here: how does one set a "white point" or "grey point"? That's probably something really simple, but ... I literally just woke up one day and decided I'd like to give Photoshop a try. I know almost nothing.

Also, here is what I have so far.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2009, 02:50 PM

Lilith,
I've answered your PM, sorry I took so long, I've been changing my ISP and forgot to update my address on here
To try and answer your question: add a levels layer, there are three little eye droppers at the bottom right of the levels pallet, the left is "black point" click on it and then click on what you think should be black in the photo, the do the same with "white point" the right, then same with the "grey point eye dropper, the centre of the three.
Try looking here to find a more advanced way of finding the "neutral grey" point of a photo http://www.photoshopessentials.com/p...utral-gray.php

Hope you get on well with your restoration, and ask your questions, you should look at some of the "stupid questions" I've asked.

We all have to start somewhere, for me it was about 12 years ago and I still have some "stupid questions" I ask here.

Hope this helps.......John
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help