RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Too much sun! help

Old 10-09-2009, 03:04 PM

Too much sun! help

It was a time of day when the sun was hitting us directly and didn't have any proper equipment to avoid this. Does anyone have any tips to help make this photo look better? I'd appreciate any help. Thanks

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/v...s/IMG_0246.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2009, 04:44 PM
Patron

Re: Too much sun! help

Essentia, welcome to Retouch Pro. There are a number of things you can do.
My 1st choice would be to use Adobe Camera RAW on a the RAW file to recovery some of the highlights. However, judging from the date the shot was taken I assume your Canon did not have a RAW output.
So my next suggestion is to temporarily move the photo into LAB color (Image>Mode>LAB Color) if you have Photoshop (any full version). But before moving to LAB color, add a blank layer to the RGB image, select a paint brush and Alt+Click to sample a good color adjacent to the highlight area which is blown out and paint on it. Do this for all the blown out areas. Don't worry about how bad it looks - we will fix that soon. When you are done, change the blend mode of that new layer to Color. You may see some improvement but the brightest highlights will likely still look blown out. Now here comes fix. Image>Mode LAB color to move the image to LAB. When you are asked to Flatten the image say NO. Keep the two layers. You will now see that there is color in the blown out highlights. Now be sure to Flatten the image. Make any fine tunings you need (Hue Sat, Curves etc) and make sure the image is flattened before converting back to RGB.

Another option would be to duplicate the background and then Image>Apply Image. Select the Green channel of the background, Normal Blend mode 100% opacity. Then set the blend mode of the layer to luminosity to restore the color. This will darken the overall image very slightly but it will also darken the blown out areas enough for you to add a paint layer or a selective color adj layer to put some color back and tone down the hot spots.
Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Essentia Highlights MM.jpg (85.4 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by mistermonday; 10-10-2009 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Corrected sequence and added detail + attachment.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2009, 07:19 PM

I opened the shadows and toned down the highlights in CS4 camera raw which will take jpgs and tiffs besides raw images.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0246.jpg (68.4 KB, 73 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2009, 06:18 AM

I used D&B.
http://www.shrani.si/f/1R/Fd/3oQwdKUM/sun.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sun1.jpg (94.8 KB, 62 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2009, 08:47 AM

Murray,

Why, and to what advantage, did you convert to LAB mode to do your correction?

k
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2009, 09:00 AM

I just did a quick job to see what I could do. I masked off the shadowed areas and did a levels adjustment. Then I painted the background to darken it up just a little.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shadow1.jpg (78.9 KB, 39 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2009, 10:19 AM
Patron

KTG, thanks for the question. Firstly I would like to point out that I had a slight brain burp when I type the earlier response listing the sequence in reverse order. I edited the message above.
Fixing blown highlights in RGB is often very difficult becuase where there is no color (channel value =255 or 100% brightness) you can not force color into it by painting or blending. LAB color is a unique color space where the rules are very different from RGB or CMYK.
If you convert the image from LAB to RGB without flattening it the image in RGB will look exactly like it did when you left -blown highlights. However, when you flatten the image in LAB you create imaginary color values which are legal in LAB but not in any other color space. Once flattened, when you convert from LAB back to RGB you force LAB to make a critical decision regarding how it will map those imaginary colors back into the RGB space where they are not valid. Photoshop splits the difference and you get a color which is not as dark as the color you painted with but not as bright as the blown highlight. The result is something which is more acceptable than the blown highlight. And you have some color which means you can apply a curve or level adj or shift the color with Hue/Sat etc. This method is certainly fast than a skin graft or textured patch particulary id the blown out areas are not huge in size. I just did this on a few of the hottest spots which are on the groom's face. Please see the attachment in my earlier post.
Regards,
Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2009, 10:38 AM

Thanks for the tips! I'll definitely have to try them all and see what I like best.
Aleksman71:
could you explain how specifically you used the d&b tools? any specific techniques for using it? I've only used them a couple of times.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by essentia View Post
Thanks for the tips! I'll definitely have to try them all and see what I like best.
Aleksman71:
could you explain how specifically you used the d&b tools? any specific techniques for using it? I've only used them a couple of times.
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/rp-...technique.html
http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=272
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2009, 12:19 PM
Patron

Using the Thumb deal in CS4

I used a curves adjustment layer in CS4 and went to his forehead and dialed the luminosity down some using the index finger deal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Curves.jpg (128.8 KB, 43 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help