RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Extraction variables

Old 06-07-2002, 03:05 PM

There's a thread HERE started by DJ entitled Three Steps to a Perfect Studio Backdrop that you might check out.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2002, 03:20 PM

Cool

Thanks Jak for such a quick response. I have made a couple backgrounds like DJ's which was the only one I've checked out so far - and so I'm enclosing the most dimensional one I've come up with so far. My problem may be perfectionism, but I doubt it. The guy on the left has hair so dark he still looks cut out and pasted on. Perhaps I should burn the curtain more and lighten his hair and/or adjust the total image levels again or something. I was going to see if there was something I could do to make them or the background look more 2D or 3D, but the info on that is not as well defined in Adobes site as I can tell yet cuz my brain hasn't clicked in gear and I haven't tried it yet - so the quest continues. You people are great!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ward fin 7x5 72dpi jpg.jpg (35.8 KB, 22 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2002, 03:26 PM

Unhappy

Got called to do a different task - hope to catch up with your response soon.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2002, 03:37 PM

Hmmmm... Let me see...

The first thing I noticed was the unevenness of the lighting on the people. You might select each one individually and adjust the levels/curves a bit to try to make the lighting quality on each one a bit more similar.

The next thing I noticed was a lack of shadows in the background. Even though photographers try to eliminate deep shadows in the background, I think in this type of situation a shadow adds some reality back that seems to have gone missing. The way I usually do that is to make a drop shadow and make the distance and blur the max possible. Then I take it even further by putting that shadow on it's own layer and using the gaussian blur on it. I sometimes even stretch and distort it.

Third is the lighting on the background itself. Try playing around with the lighting effects to get a spot going in the middle and some fade off around the edges.

The blur tool or smudge tool used just on the edges of the people might give it a smoother transition as well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2002, 12:35 AM

6-7-02
One would tend to suppose one is in over ones head at some point. I’m sure I will have to play around with all these ideas for awhile before I comprehend the gifts of knowledge you have shared. Hope to be able to share and show you something for all the good coaching you aid with……..
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help